Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Closed Thread

Old 05-05-2005, 03:00 PM   #1  
WW Moderator

Default Yogurt

Newswise -

The Mayo Clinic reports that yogurt is surprisingly good for you. One 8-ounce cup of plain low-fat yogurt provides around 400 mg of calcium, more than the 300 mg in an 8-ounce glass of milk. Yogurt also has as much potassium as a banana and as much protein as an egg or ounce of meat. To make yogurt, warm milk is fermented with two types of beneficial bacteria.
Yogurt is also more digestible than milk for peple who are lactose intolerant. And the The live bacteria in yogurt aid in digestion. But don't rule out apples—eating an apple a day can protect you from breast cancer!

Some yogurt makers heat the yogurt after it's cultured to increase the shelf life, but that kills the bacteria. Look for the official National Yogurt Association's seal on the container that says "Live and Active Cultures."
Old 05-05-2005, 03:51 PM   #2  
it's always something

I love yogurt I make smoothies each morning using plain yogurt, fruit, and skim milk. I recently bought a yogurt maker but haven't had a chance to try it out yet.
Old 05-05-2005, 10:50 PM   #3  
WW Moderator

Oh I don't have the patience to try and make yogurt. I'll come to your house. Have you had Creme Brulee yogurt from Kroger? It's good! Plain, but tasty. Good with high fiber cereal poured in it. I thought it was light - but I didn't read the label clearly enough. It was fruit at the bottom style, but I'm not sure how they got creme flavoring as fruit.
I'd LOVE to find a light version.
Old 05-06-2005, 03:45 PM   #4  

I found that putting nuts and cinnamon in plain yogurt is really good. And maybe a touch of fruit.
Old 05-06-2005, 03:46 PM   #5  

Default yogurt- is there anything it can't do?

i have been lovin plain yogurt lately. i use it to replace mayo, sour cream, or cream cheese in all kinds of cooked dishes or snacks. most recently i mixed plain low-fat yogurt and salsa together to make a 'cream sauce' to top a mexican caserole. mmm. it also goes well with shredded cucumber, marjoram & thyme, and lemon juice as a healthy dip for crackers, chips, or veggies.
the stoneyfield farm variety is my favorite
Old 05-06-2005, 03:48 PM   #6  

plain yogurt is also great in homemade bran muffins, makes them extra moist. and spinach dip!!
Old 05-06-2005, 04:55 PM   #7  

I adore yoghurt, I like the flavoured ones as well as plain, and we are very lucky to be quite close to Greece, and get gorgeous 0% Greek yoghurt, which is divine. I love it with a bit of honey and some seeds (sesame, pumpkin and sunflower) sprinkled on top. It's also great in savoury cooking. We get some lovely flavoured yoghurts on this side of the pond.
Old 05-07-2005, 10:36 AM   #8  

Ok, I have to share my magic frozen yogurt trick here because it's just so darn good!! I'm not sure if it will work for everyone, but here's what I do to get my yogurt to freeze and turn out like creamy, smooth ice cream.

First make sure your freezer setting is on the low end. The trick is to freeze the yogurt slowly so you don't want the coldness setting too high. Then I take a Blue Bunny Lite 85 Black Cherry yogurt (fat free, no sugar added and only 80 cals!) and set it in the freezer with (I know this is crazy, but bear with me! ) a 1 lb. (16 oz.) tub of cake icing (not the whipped kind, it's too light) placed right on top. Let it freeze for 3-4 hours. Try to catch it before it freezes all the way or it will be too hard to eat with a spoon, but if that happens then just set it on the counter for a bit until it's soft enough to eat.

I swear this stuff is SO good; I literally eat it every day! It took a lot of trial and error to figure out the best way and I'm not really sure what prompted me to try it in the first place, but I'm so glad I did! It's one of my all time favorite foods!

If anyone tries it, let me know if it worked for you or not. I'm sure everyone's freezers are different so it may turn out icy and crunchy, which is definitely not the desired result.

Beverly
Old 05-08-2005, 10:23 PM   #9  

Also breading chicken breast first in yogurt then in breading and baking!
Old 05-08-2005, 10:43 PM   #10  
missaprylj

Beverly- You got me started on the "frozen yogurt!" It is *SO* good! And 100 calories for what I would normally have a bowl of ice cream for is... WONDERFUL!

Old 05-09-2005, 02:36 AM   #11  
it's always something

I agree, the yogurt sounds yummy! Though I want to know what happens to Beverly's tub of frosting

Last year, I made homemade frozen yogurt by combining strawberries with nonfat, sugar free vanilla yogurt, and I prepared it in my ice cream maker. It whipped air into it so it was light and fluffy, just like the commercial type. I'd love to experiment with more flavors this year. However, doing it Beverly's way may be a lot smarter in the end, because I won't have to be tempted by a whole quart, lol.
Old 05-09-2005, 02:59 AM   #12  

I have to get off of yogurt..... I eat too much "I think".

I eat 500 grams, about 348 calories, so sometimes I sub it for a meal or 2 snacks. I do not use the low fat though, perhaps I should I can save about 50 calories...

Hm?

I am going to try and freeze it!

I was thinking of getting an ice cream maker, but it is 500$ any ideas?
Old 05-09-2005, 03:29 AM   #13  
it's always something

I paid less than $50 for mine. It's a very simple machine. It has a container that is lined with some kind of gel, and you freeze it overnight. Then you put the container in the ice cream maker base, pour your ingredients inside, then plug it up. It spins around and stirs the mixture, and the frozen walls of the container cause the mixture to freeze a little at a time. It whips the air into it as it freezes it. 20 minutes later you have ice cream

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...arden&n=507846
Old 05-09-2005, 04:28 AM   #14  

Awesome, great, so I do not have to spend tons of $$$! This product got great reviews too.

Thank you so much!!!
Old 05-09-2005, 02:12 PM   #15  

My problem with yogurt is that I like the sweetened, fruity stuff, and I'd like it to be non-fat. And I don't eat artificial sweetners if I can at all help it (I have nothing against them, I just don't like them). Around these parts one can find non fat fruity yogurt that is artificially sweetened, or low fat stuff that is normally sweetened. /sigh

I bought a tub of non fat yogurt, and added my own stuff to it. It tasted pretty good, but was so watery after I buzzed the fruit into it with the stick blender. Ick.

Maybe I should try again, draining off some of whey with cheesecloth first. If I can find some somewhere.
Closed Thread