South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 04-28-2005, 06:33 PM   #1  

Default Hit my April goal and some words for those struggling to lose..

Hello everyone!

So, I have been on South Beach since the beginning of April. I have lost 9 pounds this month. I hit a slight plateau last week due to under-eating. I have been stressed out lately (job-hunting, which really stinks! I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy.) This week, I lost the 2 pounds I gained last week, plus 1 more pound, putting me at my goal of 175! When I was on WW, the lowest weight I got to was 172. Even then, my clothes didn't fit me as well as they do now. Stuff I have been holding on to in hopes that I would one day fit into, now fit (they are just slightly snug.) Squee!

After Christmas and gorging myself on over 100 cookies in one week (I know!) I saw a picture of myself. You guys, I was FAT. I was no longer cute but chubby, I was obese. I looked at myself in the mirror and was horrified. I had gained 25 pounds. I had been in denial, but I decided I didn't want to live that way anymore. I cut out sugar at first and let myself eat whatever else I felt like as long as it was sugar free. I dropped 17 pounds this way, and quickly. My point is, that even if you can't do SB at first fully, start cutting out little things. If you just ditch the sugar like I did, you WILL lose weight and when that plateau it will be so much easier to make the switch and stay with SB. The fact that the 100 cookie girl has maintained SB with little to no cheating says a lot.

I seriously never thought I would be able to take control of my weight again. Often times I found myself thinking "if eating junk-food is wrong, I don't want to be right." I realized that my eating was a mask. I used eating to isolate myself. The fatter I got, the less I wanted to interact with others, and the more I became defeated. I hated leaving the house and made every excuse in the world not to. My mother did this as well. After her last boyfriend dumped her (15 years ago!) she swore off love. She was always thin, but managed to gain over 100 pounds. She thinks that she will never find love as long as she is overweight. And, in a way, that is why she sabotages every weight loss effort she attempts. She doesn't want love because she associates it with hurt. This way, it is her weight holding her back, not her fear. Just something to think about while dieting- I believe dieting is targeting a symptom, not the cause of obesity.

Most importantly, be nice to yourself! Treat yourself well. Try to love your body NOW. So you are overweight. Chances are, you have been this way for awhile. You may as well love yourself because change isn't going to come any quicker if you don't. Tell your body out loud that you love it, and say what you love about it. The body responds to speech. (I am an ordained minister and healer, so I have witnessed the effects of outloud validation.) The film "What The Bleep Do We Know" gives excellent insite to the brain, and how much of a role our thoughts really do play into our lives. Don't underestimate your thoughts!! And most importantly, live one day at a time.

I also want to thank everyone on this board for being amazing support! Your positivty is inspiring and my goodness, some of the losses you ladies have had are incredible. You deserve the utmost praise for changing your life around. Good job!
Old 04-28-2005, 08:58 PM   #2  

Wow! what an inspirational post You are doing fabulous! Congratulations
Old 04-29-2005, 07:05 AM   #3  

Your post was great, thanks for sharing,continued success to you.
The saying that it %100 attitude is truly correct.
Old 04-29-2005, 07:52 AM   #4  
A Lily from my yard!

Congrats on reachin your goal already! Way to go! I hope your Mom has a change of heart soon for her health if nothing else.
Old 04-29-2005, 08:16 AM   #5  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Congratulations on your success and thank you for sharing your thoughts with us.
Old 04-29-2005, 10:15 AM   #6  
Tim McGraw FANATIC!

Smile

Congrats and keep up the GREAT work!!!
Old 04-29-2005, 10:29 AM   #7  
Mary Ellen :D

Congrats! That is great you already reached your goal! Way to go.
Old 04-29-2005, 10:42 AM   #8  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabeskinnylady
... I used eating to isolate myself. The fatter I got, the less I wanted to interact with others, and the more I became defeated. I hated leaving the house and made every excuse in the world not to. ... Just something to think about while dieting- I believe dieting is targeting a symptom, not the cause of obesity.
What a great post!!! I really related to what you wrote above. I, too, used weight to help me deal with my fears and to keep me from having to interact. Obesity is definitely an effect of a greater problem.

Thanks for this, Wannabe, and CONGRATULATIONS!
Old 04-29-2005, 02:43 PM   #9  
Tina

Awesome!!! congratz to you....
Closed Thread