Closed Thread

Old 05-25-2001, 02:15 PM   #1  

I've been on WW for just over a year now, and have been eating a TON of veggies... My skin (especially my hands) have turned this really disgusting orange/yellow colour. It didn't really bother me at first, but a lot of people are starting to notice and pointing it out. I've heard that eating too many carrots can cause your skin to change colour. I eat carrots everyday, but I wouldn't think I eat enough to cause that kind of change. I do eat 1 - 2 tomatoes a day, which I think can also affect skin colour. I might be completely off here, and it might not be my diet at all! No doctors here are taking patients, and I don't really want to wait 2 hours in a clinic. Does anyone know anything about this, or had the same kind of problem? If I stop eating carrots will my colour go back to normal? And how long will it take? Grrr I just want it to go away! Thanks for your help.
Old 05-25-2001, 03:00 PM   #2  

Default Are you sure you don't have yellow jaundice???

Or it might be a combo of veggies and jaundice. If it were me, I'd go have it checked out. My sis had it, and it's not a lot of fun!

Hope it turns out to be nothing!
Old 05-25-2001, 10:12 PM   #3  
Chick-a-dee

Divvy,

Yes, tomatoes and other veggies high in beta carotene can turn your skin yellow/orange, especially the palms of your hands and your nostrils. This is often seen in babies who prefer the sweetness of carrots, squash and sweet potatoes.

Your skin will return to normal if you cut back on the orange vegetables.

While carrots are good for you, and our mothers told us they would help our eyes, the truth is that in large concentrations, they can actually become toxic to the retina. This is seen in people who juice and drink large amounts of carrots daily (i.e. 5-10 lbs on a daily basis.)

Just goes to show, everything in moderation!

Annie
290/205/150
Old 05-26-2001, 05:10 AM   #4  

Yes, large amounts of beta carotene can cause yellowing of the skin.

But as straitlover pointed out it could also be jaundice (a buildup of toxic substanced in your bloodstream caused by a number of things) Are your eyes discolored also?

Make that appointment, if you explain the discoloration I am sure that they could put you in one of those emergency slots that every physician keeps in their daily schedule.
Old 05-27-2001, 04:24 PM   #5  
Senior Tortoise

I've seen this happen to a few friends who ate a lot of carrots, papaya, etc. As everyone has said, when you cut back on the offending foods, the orange skin goes away. If you're not feeling sick in any other way, it's probably nothing to worry about.

--Lauren
Old 05-27-2001, 07:33 PM   #6  

Divvy:

I also had orange skin, especially my palms. My doctor noticed it and said that I must be eating a lot of carrots! It turned out that it was the huge amount of papaya I was enjoying. She said it was simply my body dumping an excess of beta-carotene, and that it wouldn't do me any harm. So I kept on eating the papaya and mango and stayed orange! I've slowed down on eating it now, though, so I'm back to my usual color.

Jodie
Old 05-28-2001, 04:40 PM   #7  

How long will it take for the colour to go away? I want to get rid of it!
Old 05-28-2001, 07:15 PM   #8  

I'm sorry, I don't know how long it took because I wasn't trying to get rid of it! Do you know what it is you're eating? A few carrots don't sound like they could be the only problem, even if you do eat them every day. Once you've eliminated the culprit, I'm guessing maybe two weeks and it'll be gone. Good luck!

Jodie
Old 05-30-2001, 10:02 AM   #9  
imaleader

It's carotene poisoning -- not really poison, but a toxic build up of beta carotene, as other responders have said. Also avoid tomato and v-8 juice for a while, and other red/yellow/orange vegetables. It will go away eventually. But, do see a doctor... and tell him how much of these fruits/vegs you have been eating. it's easily fixed and even more easily diagnosed. Are the whites of your eyes yellow? Chances are, no. You'll be fine. Just give it some time.

Closed Thread