Closed Thread

Old 04-25-2005, 09:51 AM   #1  
Eve's Mom

Default Monday/Tuesday (April 25/26)

Good morning gals;

Canadians - what did you think of the latest political stuff? I think it's weird how Bono is now talking about his disappointment in re: to foreign aid, and many news outlets are thinking he is disappointed in the sponsorship scandal. It's weird that Bono is involved at all. I watched the communications directors of Liberal, Conservatives and NDP on CBC Sunday yesterday and that was totally amusing. I am a communicator so it was fun for me. I thought the NDP was the weakest, and Liberal was the strongest - he was very on message. NDP didn't have a whole lot to add "we're only interested in the budget" was pretty well his answer for everything.

Last week of April. For those of you needing a "fresh start", May DAy is only a few days away! I can't believe it's already end of April. Dad's wedding is on Saturday. It's very weird. I still can't beleive that he's getting married again. One of my sisters was also suckered into doing a reading. Frankly, I don't want to. I am totally sick still - stuffy, hacking cough, sore eyes. and I don't feel like reading a 10 minute, mushy poem as my dad embarks upon misktake #3. Seems ******ed. I know, I am probably a little hormonal, but I am so disillusioned with my dad and his lies. Do you know, we STILL don't know when they really met??? We've heard about 10 different versions. Both my sisters are like, well, once you have your own family you don't care anymore. But I care that this man cannot be straight with us. Her kids have known him for like 7 years -we just met her 18 months ago, and were led to believe that they had only met a few months earlier. What BS. Anyway, I am bitter about that. I don't oppose the marriage though, as I know he's had a pre-nup that won't effect us this time (last time she got everything, even the land/$ from our grandmother, and her will left everything to her nieces and nephew. I realize how crass that sounds, but it killed me that she'd get anything that our family had worked for, the way she treated us) and if they enjoy eachother, then great. Plus, she is way nicer and less phoney than the last one (though we don't really know her all that well), and she actually seems to geniuinely enjoy the granddaughters, which is a huge improvement. His last wife wouldnt' let us visit even! So, not a bad match at all. It's just that Dad isn't honest with us, that bothers me.

Well, enough about me and my soap-opera family.

How was everyone's weekends? It was gorgeous here, and we did yard work (well, I sat on the deck and watched DH) and stuff like that.

BBL later -come out and play!!

Last edited by Belle2000; 04-25-2005 at 09:55 AM.
Old 04-25-2005, 01:48 PM   #2  
Canadian Chick

Hey all, Hope you're having a good day. I am! I already walked 4kms in our beautiful weather & did my resistance band training. Feeling good. On the weekend I didn't get in as much exercise as I wanted b/c DH strained his Ab muscles. He slept funny and felt sore then he ahd a huge sneezing fit & suddne pain. Poor guy. Anyway spent the weekend taking care of him & doing spring cleaning (at least it burns calories). I also had a 3 hour meeting for out provincial massage association. Very boring and seemed like we didn't accomplish much. I think I'm going to volunteer for our PR committee b/c it seems to be struggling. Anyway with all the the weekend flew by. Felt like I didn't really get time to relax. Oh well. Two weeks until the next one off. I'm supposed to work today but have no patients scheduled so I don't have to go in. Hopefully that means I can find some time to relax today Its like a bonus day off.

Belle, I have a soap opera family too and have major trust issues with my Dad. He always lies. At least his wife is nice although we didn't really get along when she was 18 & I wa 17 but its better now that we've grown up. My Dad has a big history of cheating and a month or so ago on his website there were some inappropriate comments posted by one of his coworkers. You could tell he had replied to her but his replies didn't show up. Very suspicious. I got my brother to investigate & my Dad claims that there was nothing going on but the messages have disappeared. Uh-huh. Anyway that lady transferred to another place -which to me also seems suspicious. It really sucks though. I mean I've known my Dad to be a cheat for 20 years already and I still can't get past it. If he didn't have kids with his second wife I probably would've ceased contact years ago. Now I feel like I have to protect these kids from his idiocy. Anyway I empathize with you girl. Hopefully you'll actually have a good time at the wedding. You never know...
As for political stuff, I am tired of it all. Since all the crap with the sponsership scandal etc I feel like everything that comes out the Liberals mouths is big fat pack of lies. They spin everything. Also we all know an election is coming & they are all already pre-campaigning though they all deny it. I feel like if its going to happen then lets get it over with. Althoug I think it is a huge waste of time and money. The sponsership crap was around last year but the Liberals managed to swing focus on Stephen Harper's supposed extreme-ism, which is really minor so really would the result be any different this time? They say that in Quebec they would lose a bunch of seats but those would go to the Bloc and so in the end the Liberals still win although with another minority government. I feel like we need a change in government -they've just been in there too long but it feels like there are not really an good choices. I would probably vote PC just b/c they have the best chance of defeating the Liberals and making some kind of change however I'm not sure if it will be any different. I feel like Bono is sticking his nose in where is doesn't belong. Also he is focused on his causes so how can he really talk about the whole picture? Anyway it hasn't really begun & I'm tired of it already. Do you watch George Stromboulopoulus on The Hour on CBC Newsworld? He has some awesome things to say and he really covers the whole spectrum without being boring. Its my favorite way to watch current events. Its on 6pm, 9pm & midnight MST. If you haven't seen it check it out. He does all the current events not just political stuff and he caters to our generation - not your usual CBC fare. Anyway enough of this stuff. I need to go eat lunch. Have a superday!
Old 04-25-2005, 05:20 PM   #3  
Running Babe

Hey,

Just at my parents place... about the politics...I don't want an election... an election will cost more than the whole scandal+gomery enquiry combined.

Anyway asides from that I am doing well... still no internet access at home. I had a bug all weekend though grrr.

Anyway I hope everyone is doing well!

Ali
Old 04-25-2005, 10:17 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 160/143/125

Height: 5'2"

Well I am glad that I am not the only one with a soap opera of a family. My parents are still married and my dad doesn't cheat. But mother lies constantly and my father is addicted to pain killers. I hate going over there anymore because I just hear so many lies and then when I say somehting positive or good I am just put down. On top of it all my 20 year old sister, her daughter and husband live there, as well as my 19 year old sister, and 16 year old brother. I hate to say it but I want to move out of the state to be away from it all. You just want to be a good person and a good daughter but as soon as you try , the crap just goes right in your face. My grandmother and husband help me a lot with these issues. I just have to make the best of my family I have started. All we need to worry about is being better and good people who are successful in life and are happy.

Well I think I exercised on my foot way too early. It is killing me and I am very disturbed by it. I am in a tizzy because finals and presentations are coming up. It will be over very soon..wohoo.

I hope everyone is having a good week.

JKB
Old 04-26-2005, 05:10 AM   #5  
One Sick Puppy

Height: 5'6"

Default Hi Ladies!!

It's 3:43 in the morning and I need a break from my work. I've missed posting with you!! Haven't been eating great (but not too bad, either), but have managed to stick around the same weight. At the beginning of working nights, the weight dropped off quickly because I was doing a lot of running around, but that's tapered off. I know I need to start exercising, but haven't talked myself into it yet. I haven't been to WI in a couple of weeks, but am going to try to get there on Saturday this week. Even though I've been working nights, I'm starting to do more than just work and sleep. I was asked to provide clerical support for a group of our contractors. They're all around my age and since we're all on nights, we've been hanging out in the mornings once or twice a week. They're an awesome, fun bunch of guys and I think I'm dating one of them, but am not really sure (more on that later). I can only imagine what the gossip mill is saying about me hanging out with 6 guys...

So, I don't have anything to add to the soap opera family thing. My parents are happily married. Mom and I talk on the phone every day (which is a little bit much, in my opinion), but we're close and I know she's having a little bit of empty nest since my sister is in Wyoming. Do you guys think that your soap opera family life has contributed to your weight issues? When I was seeing a counselor for my BED, I kind of thought that my mom's nagging and too-motherly-ness was my problem, but looking back, the problem (whether I wanted to admit or not) was Aaron. I haven't had any problems like that since he's been gone...

As far as the Canadian politics, I don't know what's been going on. I don't watch the news because it's too depressing and always find myself out of the loop. But when you say Bono, do you mean Bono of U2? (I'm sorry, I know I sound like a complete idiot).

Do you guys remember last time I posted, how I kept getting asked out? Well, someone I actually wanted to go out with finally asked me. He and I went out to breakfast on Friday morning, then back to my place to watch a video and have margaritas. It's tough, because they don't have set days off, just whenever their work allows them to have a night off. I had Sunday night off, and he tried to get it off, too, but couldn't. It's also tough because we're trying not to let anyone know that we're seeing each other, but don't get any time alone, so we have to be kind of sneaky. For example, tonight we were in a room full of his co-workers and he said "So, Jess, were you serious when you said I could do my laundry at your place?" I said "Yeah, you can come over any time." He said "I'll get a movie and we'll do it tomorrow morning." There's something that I really like about him (maybe the fact that he lives 16 hours away). Seriously, I can totally be myself around him. He's a sexy and complicated combination of little boy and all grown-up man. I don't know... there's just something about him. Plus, he doesn't need to be kept top secret like Top Secret Work Boy did. If the secret gets out, it's no biggie.

Oh, one other thing--I've been smoking since I started working nights and have one more cigarette, then I'm quitting. It's not going to be as easy as I'd hoped--I've been smoking long enough now that it's become a habit and it's gonig to take a little work, but I think I can do it.

OK, I have got a pile of work as tall as I am on my desk, so I better hop to it for a couple more hours. See ya!
Old 04-26-2005, 11:46 AM   #6  
Canadian Chick

Morning all,

I had a terrible sleep. Then being not the brightest girl, I had a piece of cake for breakfast! We don't ever have cake in our house but DH brought it home from work. I wasn't going to have any. Well now that I did my tummy does not feel good. Serves me right I guess. Its very windy here today so instead of exercising outside I'm going to do my BellyDance for Fitness video. Its fun but I feel very uncoordinated.

Jess, Glad to hear that you're having some fun working nights. Why are you keeping your relationship hush hush? In case it doesn't pan out? Makes me sad to hear you're smoking. Losing wieght is hard enough but trying to quit on top of it. Tough. Oh btw yes it is Bono from U2.

JK, In Canada we have a public healthcare system and so there are waiting lists for most everything except seeing your GP or X-rays. Hope that your foot is getting better. Poor girl!

Ali, I completely agree about the cost of an election. Not worth it. Hope you get Interent hooked up soon.

As for the soap opera family stuff I've never thought it had an effect on my weight. I mean I can be an emotional eater so maybe. I guess it had an effect too b/c my Dad being a deadbeat caused us to live in poverty and my Mom had to work her butt off so we ate a lot of unhealthy convenience foods. Grilled cheese and KD were staples at her house. I know sometimes after dealing with my brother I want to eat stuff to make me feel good but now I tend to make healthy choices. Of course I spent the evening with him last night and was very frustrated & upset by bedtime. That may have contributed to the bad sleep and the poor choice of breakfast. I have been having lots of headaches lately too. I'm sure its partly the stress. Oh well.

Anyway I'm going to make healthy choices the rest of the day. I guess I better go do my workout. WI is tomorrow. Talk to you all later
Old 04-26-2005, 02:37 PM   #7  
Eve's Mom

Hey girls!
Ali, how is the flood repairs going? I hope you are well. Tell me any new plans for the wedding?? I miss having you around!! Get your internet!! I agree - another election is a waste of $$. I am getting annoyed with the whole thing. I'd like to listen to CBC 1010 and not have to hear about it...

JK - Soap families are more common than we think, I think. Mine all stems from my dad. And in my case, a BIG effect on my weight, as my father had weight issues as kid and was very horrible to us as children. Always called us fat and made us go to a kids fat farm. We were chubbers, but not obese kids (I was four years old, just moved here from Ontario). And we were there with children who were wheelchair bound because they were so fat they couldn't walk. 7 year olds that were 200lbs each. Each wednesday, we had to get weighed and they'd announce your weight to the other kids. Then you had to tell them why you gained if you gained, etc. You then had to see a counsellor to talk about your weight and why you gained. And then you had to "workout" with them in a pool. They were all so big they could hardly move. We were active kids - we swam, all of us got our lifeguard badges, we skiied, we danced, we were just chubby. It was so humiliating being there. And my dad was VERY hard on me, the most. In fact, when I was 15, I wanted to be a news anchor. Dad told me, that the only way I could be one was if I was a "f*&king Oprah Winfrey" (who at that time, was a chubber). I abandoned those dreams then. And he made me lose 50lbs to get a piano - I was very gifted muscially and begged for years for one. I purged and starved myself til I reached 110 (v. unhealthy on me) got my piano, and promptly gained another 70 as I began to eat again. He was pissed off but I didn't care, I got my piano.

Now, at my eldest sisters wedding he said to me how he wished we could "Just be like normal girls" and that we weren't pretty. And that was it. We all had it out with him and no one talked to him for months. And he stopped. He never mentioned weight again. Ever. But we know he thinks it. He just doesn't articulate it. That was 10 years ago.

Hows THAT for soap opera!?????

Jess - when I broke up with last b/f, I lost 30lbs right off - it was b/c of him I was keeping the weight on - stress-eating, etc! He was the best 290lbs I ever lost So why is this new guy a secret if he doesn't have to be? Could it be a longer term thing or is it pretty well short term fun?

Rina - I wouldn't worry about the cake -you've been an exercise machine the past few days! Your bellydance CD sounds great. I took 2 classes and loved bellydance. I wasn't terribley coordinated either, but it was fun and a pretty good workout too. I too am an emotional eater. Happy and sad, I eat. When happy I'll eat the cake b/c I am optomistic and happy. When sad, I eat it to feel like something is still good. Does that make sense? But at least I identify that I have that problem, and I just have to control it. I am not a "binge eater" per se, just make crap choices when emotions are involved...cake for breakfast is no stranger to me.

Well, I better get some work done! Adios and BBL
Old 04-27-2005, 12:27 PM   #8  
Raised by a cup of coffee

S/C/G: 220.4/162

Height: 5'8"

Wow Belle that IS a soap opera. My parents are both overweight, but I see pics of them when they were my age and they were both very thin. Why don't I get to be thin? =( Well ok I was for a while after I was on WW for a while, but now I'm not and I want to be thin again!

Rina - I had cake this week too! I went over a friend's for BBQ and his fiancee made a cake too. Turned out I hadn't had that much to eat before we went over there anyway AND the food they made wasn't great food for me (lots of seafood, and I'm allergic to it) so I had plenty of room (and points!) for cake. I think I went over my maximum by 3 points. I've been sticking to the range program. I don't like the new goal program.
Closed Thread