Old 04-20-2005, 08:39 PM   #1  
Angie

Post Stress Management

Hey all you wonderful people. I havent been on in a few weeks due to some job role changes. I need help. I love a fast-paced job, somthing that is challenging, but we are dramatically understaffed and over worked... those of us that just started a new department. So, naturally... I am stressed to the MAX!!! I put in 54 hours last week.. going in on the weekends.. am 2 days behind on work (along with everyone else) but I have been eating just CRAP. I was so stressed my hands were shaking and i was like high or something.. then i have been staying up late to do homework and havent been getting much sleep. 3-4 hours a night lately. I havent seen my daughter in 4 days.. (you get the idea) So. My eating has taken the brunt of my stress management issues. Nothing toooo aweful, but i can admit that i have done take out more than a few times in the past 2 weeks.

Some people smoke.. Some people excercise and honestly, i think most of us eat to deal with stress. lol. so.. since i feel like i dont have time or the engergy to excercise.. i know i know, if i did it, i would have more energy.. but it has always been my problem.

So- anyone got any ideas? I have been trying to just not let it bother me now- this morning i was so tired and feakin out that i thought i was going to throw up. ahhhh... anyone have any advise? my "skinny" friend says that i am using stress as an excuse to eat junk.. which she is right on, but yet i try to explain that its not always that easy.

Sorry for the book ^^^^ . Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
angelfadedblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 11:15 AM   #2  
baby chick

I wish I had some great sterss management tips. I talk to my mom. In fact, I just got off the phone with her. I always feel so much better after talking with her. Sometimes I just can't hardly see straight and she helps me get a plan together. Without her I would be a complete basketcase.

About stress and eating, I do the same thing. I've noticed the more stress I have the more I pack on the pounds. But sadly, this is something I just figured out. Now that I'm aware of it hopefully I can make some positive changes. So far, so good.

If you HAVE to eat fast food make better food choices while there. Go for the salad, have some water. Keep some healthy snacks in your purse and at your desk.

Good luck with the job and with school.
honeyhoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 11:38 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 264/190/150

Height: 5'8"

stress is the worst thing ever. I ussually over eat not due to stress but due to time constraints. When you are being over worked, its to hard to cook a nice salad, its much easier just to get McD's or something.
I feel like I am always over worked. I have decided that I need to take some me time in the day and not allow my job to expect me to work my self to death. In the long run its better for me and them. I am allowed an hour for lunch so what I do is use that as me time. They want us to eat on site and get right back to work but techincally we get a full hour so I make sure I leave the building and take a walk or something good for me and eat a good healthy lunch. I told the supervisor that I was doing this and not to look for me at luch time. I know not every one can do this but its good to find some kind of time for your self. You will burn out and then they will really be under staffed.
I would say figure out what is the breaking point for you and tell your boss you won't go over that amount. Myjob continually wanted me to work at night and I am a single mom so it makes it hard. They expect us to come in later in the morning so they won't have to pay us over time. that isn't gonna work for me. I put my foot down and said I wouldn't do it. if they want me here at night they are paying me over time. now, I get to leave on time or they are paying me time and a half.
jennie934 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 02:40 PM   #4  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Height: 5'4"

Well, I also eat to deal with stress (especially chocolates), but another thing that really de-stresses me is SHOPPING! I know it's almost as bad as eating (worse if you're counting the money), but a trip to the mall will perk me up when I'm stressed out, even if I don't buy anything. I love shopping, especially when I'm not looking for something in particular. It turns out that if I'm looking for some particular clothes item, I will get frustrated and depressed because I can't find one that looks good or fits right. But if I just go shopping to "look around" I will inevitably find something I like that fits! I also shop for bath and beauty products a lot to lift my spirits.

Of course that doesn't work for everyone, especially if you don't have time for it. My advice for eating better while you're on a tight schedule is to pick healthier fast food. If you have to get fast food, go for Boston Market or Subway instead of McD's or Burger King. Also, I don't know if you have a Whole Foods Market in your area, but they have healthy premade meals and such that you can buy (most supermarkets have sandwiches). I eat Lean Cuisine a lot, which takes five minutes in the microwave and is pretty healthy.

When I used to be under a lot of stress (haha, grad school is waaay less stressful than undergrad!) my biggest problem was that I would be so tense and worried that every moment I spent not working I felt awful, and I couldn't sleep at all. I found that taking an hour before bed to do something relaxing, even if it's just watching a favorite TV show or reading a book, helped me a whole lot.

Anyway, hope that helps!
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 08:36 AM   #5  

I know how tough it is, my fiance and I are both full time college students and have full time jobs (plus he's in the Marine Corps reserves! ugh) anyways I find if when you have a spare moment to chart out your meals for the next week you can prepare everything in advance then freeze it in individual containers it's a lot easier to stay on track...If you're REALLY crunched for time I would just stock up on lean cuisines or energy bars- they are processed and have lots of sodium, but they're healthier than take out and quicker to prepare!

Eating well will also help you feel more in control at work, because you're making your own choices- you're not just a victim to the stress- ya know?

and like paperclippy said I usually destress by hitting the mall- hard! Not good for the pocket book but great for the waistline! (we have a five mile mall here and I walk that whole thing!) lol.
Ahealthierme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 12:55 PM   #6  
aka Superwoman!

S/C/G: SW:226/16st - about 50lbs lost

Height: 5'8"

Hi! I'm in the last year of Uni, my finals are next week

I've found that exercise really helps chill me out! Last week I did a cardio class 4 nights and I went for a gentle, short jog on Friday, I went swimming on Saturday! I know that's a lot, and probably too much to fit in, but today I went out for a jog for 15 minutes and it's making me feel sooooooo chilled!

Even a five minute jog would chill you out! Anyone can find 5 minutes!
2frustrated is offline   Reply With Quote