Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 04-20-2005, 05:55 PM   #1  

Exclamation Low blood pressure??

How low is too low?? A nurse came to my house yesterday to give me a small physical for new insurance purposes and I have to say I was quite literally shocked at my bp reading, 96/52. Is this normal?? I know low blood pressure is a good thing, but this seems REALLY low! Somebody, please reassure me, I'm a little freaked out right now!

Thanks!
Beverly
boiaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 06:20 PM   #2  

S/C/G: HW160/SW 156/CW125/GW120ish

Height: 5'2"

Mine has read that low before, although I'm generally more in the region of 100/60. Or at least I was while pregnant. It's been a while since it was last checked. If you're not fainting when you stand up, you're probably ok.
Only Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 09:12 PM   #3  
Mel

That's pretty low, but unless you are having any symptoms, probably nothing to worry about. You'd most likely get turned down to give blood, though!

If you are freak out, why don't you call your doctor's office in the morning and just ask? They can probably check your records and see if it's usually low or if this is a really unusually low reading for you.

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 05:25 AM   #4  
Meg

Hi Beverly! I've read 90/60 at times since I've lost weight and am as healthy as a horse . But I honestly don't know how low is too low so agree with Mel - check with your doctor. I suspect you'll find out that it's just a happy, healthy heart that doesn't have to work nearly as hard as it used to in order to get oxygen to your body tissues.

Let us know what you hear, OK?
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 08:58 AM   #5  

It's fine. As long as you aren't having any symptoms (lightheaded when standing up quickly, etc) I would not worry about it. I'm a nurse who takes many blood pressures a day and as long as it's not a little old lady on too much BP medication or someone actually feeling ill, a bp of 90-something over 50-something is fine. Mine's even been a tad lower than that before with no ill effects.
featherz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 01:39 PM   #6  

Thanks guys, especially Featherz, for calming my fears. I'm not having any other symptoms and I'm definitely not a little old lady on too much bp meds!

On a side note about asking my Dr., I have refused to go back to my regular Dr. since the last time I was there b/c he simply could not believe that I had lost all that weight on my own and was insisting that there must be something wrong with me and wanted to run all sorts of tests! I was just there for an ear infection and all I needed was a simple perscription for antibiotics, which he refused to give me until he ran at least some of the tests! Man, I was pissed! I got my perscription, refused any futher testing, and hightailed it outta there, swearing never to return. Unfortunately, I never got around to finding a new Dr., so he would still be the only one with my records. I guess I better get on the ball and find a new Dr. ASAP! Anyway, thanks again!

Beverly
Old 04-21-2005, 02:34 PM   #7  
Mel

Beverly,
If that wasn't such a sad comment on the state of obesity management in general, it would be funny. Although I lost far less than you, I had a similar reaction from my gyno. The only doc who believed me was my rhuematologist, because I see him once a month. He was so impressed, that he and his wife both joined my gym, and now I train his wife

Find a new doc!

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2005, 01:30 PM   #8  
Meg

Love your new photos, Beverly! (check 'em out here, guys) You are most definitely not a little old lady! Little - YES! Old - NO!!

I just had to switch gynecologists this year too. My old one saw me for the first time after my weight loss about a year or so ago. He came in the room, all bubbling over with compliments about the loss and asking me question after question: how did I feel now, what were all the benefits, what did my husband say, etc. etc. Then he asked: was it worth the risk? Completely puzzled, I said - huh? What risk? He said - the risk of the surgery. I said that I didn't have surgery and he went from being happy and upbeat to angry in a second. He said that I was a 'FREAK' for losing weight without surgery and that people really can't do it that way. Which is why HE was considering WLS. He went on and on and lectured me about why what I did is impossible and no one should expect to lose weight that way.

I was so mad and upset when I walked out of there that I vowed I'd never go back. I realize that it was his issue, not mine, but still!!!

So I guess we're all freaks or ill or there's something wrong with us if we lose weight with diet and exercise. Sheesh - what a sad commentary on our medical system.
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2005, 02:24 PM   #9  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meg
He said that I was a 'FREAK' for losing weight without surgery and that people really can't do it that way.
He actually called you a freak?!! OMG! And people can't really expect to lose weight without surgery?! Was he smoking crack!? How can people like this even call themselves doctors? That just infuriates me to no end! I am truly appalled by his reaction. I don't blame you for never going back, what a quack!

Oh, BTW, thanks about the pics!

Beverly
Old 04-29-2005, 10:09 AM   #10  
I heard a bird...

Beverly -

Congratulations! They sent you a nurse who actually knows how to take a blood pressure reading and she got an accurate reading. I have a friend who was a nurse for many years so I understand the correct protocol for taking pressures. My friend used to keep a BP cuff around to take pressures and she explained it all to me because of my curiosity. I've even been known to correct the technicians at my old doctor's office when they were trying to take my BP incorrectly.

That's right. My old doctor's office. Although I switched doctors because I relocated more than fifty miles from my old doctor, I never liked him. He assumed that I was like the rest of the rural, underemployed people in the county we lived in. When I asked him one time how to lower my triglycerides, he said "Drink less alcohol." I replied with a question, "So one beer a week on Friday afternoons is too much?" He looked at me funny. Alcoholism was rampant in the county, as it is in many underemployed areas. I continued, "Oh, wait. I do have one once every blue moon on Thursday afternoons, too, when it's been a tough week. I'll cut that one out." GGRRRRR!

My new doctor does not know I've ever been obese. It's never been relevant. He knows only that I am a bit of a nutrition nut, that I exercise regularly, and that I am much more well-versed in medical knowledge than most of his patients. It's humorous sometimes the questions he asks me. He asked me one time about the family history of osteoporosis because "Caucasian women of slim build are at risk for osteoporosis." I started to say "Doc, I've always been Caucasian but I am only recently 'slim'". Instead, I told him that women in our family didn't live long enough to get osteoporosis, that heart disease or cancer claims them before they're old enough for osteoporosis to be a concern.

Oh, and your original question, my BP is 90/60. Last time a nurse took it, she wrote the numbers down then did a double take. Then she looked at me and said "You're a runner, aren't you?" I said "yes, ma'am." She nodded to herself, as if affirming her suspicions. Obviously, fit people have lower BPs than most (unfit) people. If you don't have any symptoms like lightheadedness on standing, persistent vertigo or physical weakness, I wouldn't worry about it. You could call one of those "Ask-a-nurse" lines and ask. But it's my understanding that the lower, the better.
catharus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 08:09 AM   #11  

Hi Beverly,

I don't know if this is relevant to you but I just reads that vegans (so people who do not eat meat, fish etc) have a lower bloodpressure compared to the general population. So if you are a vegan this might explain your readings.

rabbit
4rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote