Closed Thread

Old 04-20-2005, 05:34 PM   #1  
A Turtle loser

S/C/G: 254/239/200

Default What do you think?

I have often wondered as why, you never hear about gluttony from the pulpit? As you know we are to be temples of the living god, how do you feel about your temple? do you feel guilt or remorse? do you think we are to be healthy as a christians as our christian duty? these are questions i ask myself and i wonder if anyone else thinks along these lines?
Old 04-20-2005, 05:36 PM   #2  
back on the wagon

S/C/G: 196.2/187.8/115

Height: 5'1.5''

I feel it is our duty as people of God to keep our bodies clean and healthy because we should use every inch of our bodies to praise the Lord's name!
Old 05-02-2005, 01:12 AM   #3  

I have to agree with you Lateralus98, one of the things my daughter learns in primary classes at church is "My body is a temple". Not all christian churches teach the deadly sins. Just to refresh everyone's memory the 7 deadlies are Pride, Greed, Envy, Wrath, Lust, Gluttony, Sloth. It's really a catholic thing. (for the record I'm not catholic) Many churches don't even teach the 10 comandments anymore let alone the 7 deadly sins. You also have to understand that they are deadly to our spiritual growth. I know that being overweight leads to depression, poor self image and other problems. So yes, being fat has impeded my spiritual growth a little. It impedes personal growth, gets in the way of relationships and causes us to hurt those that we love. Talk to some poeple in are in AA and OA, they will tell you that they hurt their family more with their uncontrolled over eating than their drinking.

HOWEVER, I don't think most of the people on this group really qualify to be labled with Gluttony. Gluttony is a deliberate act. Most people here really don't WANT to binge. God knows our prayers, and who here asks for support in their prayers? A lot of us I think. What makes us NOT Gluttons is that we are trying to be better. God gives us lots of tests, we don't pass all of them, He understands. Two steps forward one step back is way better than just one step back. We are also not talking about wanton excess, which is what Gluttony is. How many of us go to parties drink too much and revel in eating as much rich food as we can just because we want to and we can? I would guess none. We do eat too much, and too much of the wrong thing, otherwise we wouldn't be here.

To answer your original question, I do feel guilt and remorse, that's normal. It is also part of repentance. I don't view my overeating as a sin, but I do view it as a behavior I must change. WOW, that was way more than I meant to write. Hope I didn't bore you with my preaching.
Closed Thread