Closed Thread

Old 04-17-2005, 06:20 PM   #1  

Default Feisty & Sexy 50-60 year olds #48

G'day all,

A very warm autumn day here today, 31 degrees I think we are definetly skipping autumn!

Karen Sorry about your father and that the news was not what you wanted to hear I agree with Slavika, but with modern medicine you can 'buy' some precious time. There are no guarantees in life and as Slavika said the best way really is to deal with it one day at a time. It is a very difficult time for everyone, no matter how you look at it, it is NOT easy.

We are planning our trip to the Blue Mountains this weekend. You may remember some of the info on the Blue Mountains and the photos I posted on my website.
It is a beautiful part of the country and I am looking forward to it.
We are both very homesick and just want to be home. We definetly will not take on another long assignment,

My other aim this week is to finally get a new, fresh 'MES Designs' website uploaded!

Have a great week all,

Cheers
Maria
Old 04-18-2005, 02:49 PM   #2  

Hi All,

Been busy lately with nothing really important. Of course when there is a chance to see the new little grandbaby I am there. I just love to hold him. He has gained a few ounces and is doing well. Mom is looking good and not like she just had a baby. I think I am still trying to lose the baby fat I gained with the baby 33 years ago. LOL

Karen I am sorry to hear about your dad. Just treasure every day. I keep hoping that one of these days there will be a cure for all kinds of cancer. Do you still have both sil's living with you. If so, how is it going?

Ann those were cute cartoons you sent out. I like the one with lady holding the scale up in the air with her feet. Wishing that would work in real life. I am still trying to figure out that ripley puzzle.

Slavika that Baked Oatmeal sounds so good. I am an oatmeal lover. I have to get the right kind of oatmeal so I can try it. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

Maria your weekend trip sounds so nice. A new computer-got it going yet? You are lucky that your dh can do all this stuff.

I am tired. I helped out in the cafeteria today. This was after I helped dh clean the theater. We went to my niece's yesterday for homemade ravioli. She made 200 and she makes her own dough too. She also made cannoli. It was wonderful and I am still stuffed.

I think I have a book calling my name. I am too tired to clean. No maid here-just me.
Old 04-18-2005, 05:08 PM   #3  

G'day all,

You and me both Peggy trying to loose the excess weight after the birth of my children I have an added problem, gave up smoking some 18 years ago and of course we all know what that does to someone's weight
Excuses, excuses, excuses I did like Ann's cartoon how to use the scales!

New computer not quite up and running yet but getting close. I am lucky that dh likes doing it and seems to know what he is doing......I think!
It should be fantastic once up and running.

Our daughter in law rang last night to tell us the 'head is engaged', not sure what that actually means but she assures me the obstetrician said it was all good.

Hope you are all having a good day.

Cheers
Maria
Old 04-18-2005, 07:41 PM   #4  

Pegg the other SIL was just visiting. And all went well while she was here. She fully understands my trials with her sister as she has had her MIL living with her for 20 years. We bonded. She also got to see first hand how her sister is a drama queen when it comes to pills. And tried to help but no way. Jeanne is Jeanne and there is no changing the way she thinks. OH well enough of that.

Thanks for the kinds words about my Dad. My daughter told me that she has typed on cancer paients who have gone on for years in remission. We can hope that is the way it goes for Dad.

Skavika tried the Baked Oatmeal and I loved it. SIL liked it cold. I liked minw warm. Will be making it again. My try to use some brownsugar twin and some applesauce. Maybe replace 1/2mthe sugar and 1/2 the fat. I'll let you know how it goes.

We had a beautiful day here today was able to go to the pool for the first time in ages. The water was way too cold at one pool so we wnt to the other. It was wonderfully relaxing. I needed a nap when we got home but instead just fixed supper.

Well my daughter just clicked on yahoo chat so I'll go for now
Karen
Old 04-19-2005, 08:34 AM   #5  
Web Nana

We are supposed to be into the 80's today and I am ready! Of course, on Friday they are saying back to the 50's. So what's new about that!

Yesterday DH went to see the Dr. regarding his knee. He has always walked about 5 miles a day but lately the knee has been bothering him, not pain but stiff and he has cut his walks down to about 1 mile. Well the Dr. sent him to the hospital for an Ultrasound as he thought it was Deep Vascular Thrombosis! Wow, were we pleased when they said it was fluid on the knee and a cyst behind the knee and not the blood clot. Dr. prescribed a medicine to relieve the inflamation and although we had a few concerns regarding interaction with the asperin a day that DH takes for his heart...it all turned out OK. He also was told to stay off the leg and I told him that was alright but don't expect me to give him a bell to summon me for every little thing. This morning after only 2 pills and sleeping with his leg elevated on a pillow he claims it feels less tight....so we are on the way.

Karen....getting into the pool sounds wonderful. The season here is too short for a pool, no sooner do you get it opened then it is time to close. The neighbors have one, above ground, and when it is very hot I get to use it. Fun and no upkeep!!

Maria...it sounds like 'birth day' is getting real close. What wonderful anticipation.

painter...I'm sorry I can't remember your real name. Of course a new grandchild is wonderful to hold and love and especially when they are so new. It is with great awe that one looks at a newborn and realizes that someone younger than yourself will be the one to get up in the night for feedings and changing. But of course it doesn't take anything away from the pleasure of holding the baby.

Gloria
Old 04-19-2005, 09:34 AM   #6  

Gloria
I have a friend in Texas who has a pool and she tells me it's like having someone in the backyard on life support!

We arer having another beautiful day in Florida. So won't stay on here long. Want to take Sprout out for a while before it gets too warm for him. Tomorrow he goes for his groomer appointment first thing in the morning.

I've used our new Webcam a couple of times now so I know how it works. Beware one of these days you may get a video e-mail from me or Sprout!

Peggy I don't think I ever said congratulations on the new Grandchild. I do really likke new borns . They are so sweet and smell like baby powder.

Karen
Old 04-19-2005, 11:50 AM   #7  
BJ3

Love those grandbabies also. Just wish I had one. I enjoy my neighbors vicariously (sp?). I don't remember who the baked oatmeal receipe came from, but I tried it last night. I made a few changes and have some questions. I am diabetic, so I left the brown sugar out and used Splenda. I also used 1/2 lite butter and 1/2 applesauce. It turned out to be 2 1/2 points per square if you cut it into 12 squares. My question is this. Is it very sweet if you make it with brown sugar, as it was not with Splenda. I'm wondering if I should add some brown sugar twin next time. It was good, but would have been better a little sweeter.
Old 04-19-2005, 06:02 PM   #8  
Net browser

Hi Everybody

BJ3 ......it was me that posted the Baked Oatmeal recipe. I did cut back on the brown sugar just little when I made it the second time. I thought it was fine cutting back a bit on the sugar. My thinking was, if it wasn't sweet enough I would have added Splenda to it when I went to eat it. I like to eat it with milk so adding Splenda would not have been a problem. I was thinking maybe if raisins were used in the recipe rather then the cranberries that might add some extra sweetness........I'm glad you enjoyed it. Did you eat it with milk poured on the square?
DH was having a good day today. I went out with my DIL in the morning and then in the afternoon husband and I went "downtown" and had a malt......oh it was wonderful.
I am looking to buy a couple of new long caftans with short sleeves in COTTON, I think they are called "patio dresses". Well I didn't have any luck today but one of the department stores said they would have them in by the end of this month. It was a happy day today.
Old 04-19-2005, 06:11 PM   #9  

G'day all,

I seem not to have slept well for ages Up again at 5 this morning after a late night last night.
Very frustrating however I have decided to do something about it and today I will just do some shopping for our 4 day 4x4 wheel drive trip this weekend, get my hair cut and read a book. I might occasionally glance over to see if I have any emails that I need to attend to

Gloria I quite like a swim but prefer these days to swim in the sea rather than in a pool. I am very wary what goes on in a pool. We have a huge pool and spa in this apartment complex. One night I heard all this carry on from the pool area and when I went out onto the balcony to see what it was, it was a couple 'having it off' in the spa I was really annoyed and got my camera, not so much to take photos but for the flash to go off and perhaps they would get the hint that is not the thing to do. They just totally ignored it and carried on regardless. Since then I would not go into the pool eventhough it looks perfectly clean etc.
Hope your dh's knee will be better soon. He is pretty good walking 5 miles a day . I hope he will be able to continue that 'habit' very soon.

BJ3 I must say I now cannot wait for this little grand daughter of ours to be born. Just cannot wait to get home and live a relatively normal life, have the kids come for meals, read to my grand daughter, attend to my garden and perhaps even make the oatmeal recipe

Karen look forward to receiving a little video from your webcam. I have one but very seldom use it these days. DH used it a few times when he was on conference hook-ups but he has a habit of walking away from his desk when the conference gets boring, of course with the webcam everyone was able to SEE him walking away from his desk . He decided not to use his webcam anymore!

New computer is working a treat now, VERY fast .
I have to load a lot of my software but as I said before, I am taking the day off today and hopefully have a good sleep tonight.

Have any of you been watching Dr. Phil and the desperate housewife bit????
Some is just a bit hard to believe that women can live such a lie and their husband so oblivious to the lies.
I am far too much of a 'blabbermouth', no secrets in my life!!!

Cheers
Maria
Old 04-19-2005, 08:20 PM   #10  
Member Florida Chick

Hi everyone: I've just been hanging around and reading and not posting. Just too lazy I guess. But also busy. took DH for his iron infusion yesterday. By the time we get there, wait for everything to get done, going through all the rigamarole, etc. we don't get home much before 11:00a.m. and we start out at 7:00a.m. So by the time we get home have lunch, or whatever, I just want to sit. Last night we were invited to a neighbors for dinner, and she made delicious crab cakes. One of my favorites.

I am finally getting rid of my cold. I thought at first it was allergies, but guess not, since now I have a lovely cold sore on my upper lip and in my nose.

Slavika: I am glad you are having some happy days. A malt sounds good. I keep telling myself that I need to go shopping for some new summer stuff, but then I tell myself that I want to lose the extra weight, and think of the money I'll save so I haven't even gone looking.

Peggy: I'm envious- getting to hold your new grandbaby so much. We have no small ones left. And now they are all too far away. What are you reading? I've discovered a new write I like a lot. Her name is Terry Blackstock. She writes mysteries, but with a bit of a Christian perspective. And they are good stories, and I certainly don't miss all the gratuitous sex and bad words some of todays fiction has.

Maria: Have a wonderful trip this weekend. I remember the lovely pictures you took before when you went there. Glad to hear you have your new 'puter' up and running. I still prefer the swimming in a pool to taking my chances with the 'critters' in the sea. I would not want to meet up with a shark, or any of the other things that swim around out there.

Glenda: I was thinking of you today as there were some Memorial services etc on the news in Memory of the bombing 10 years ago. That one event changed the lives of so many people. I can't help but wonder if the two who did this ever gave any thought to the destruction of families etc, in their quest to show their disdain for the government.

Karen: I hope your Dad is a fighter. I suspect from what you have said before, that he is, and so he will be able to be in remission. I haven't been in the pool yet. Ours has been so crowded, since the park next door uses it too. since theirs has been in-operable since all the hurricanes. But as the weather improves, and all the 'snowbirds' fly north, I will get down there.

Hi Trudy, and Lily and BJ and Gloria. Hope all is well with you. I'm going to try and get back more often so I won't have so much catching up to do. 'See' you. Ann
Old 04-19-2005, 09:02 PM   #11  

Ann you might be interested in the book I just picked up at a local little market...'Hanna's Daughters' by Marianne Frederiksson.
I am not into fiction, particularly the stuff you talk off, ie gratuitous sex, violence and bad language.
I haven't had a chance to start reading it yet, (I MUST today) but the most amazing part was that when I spoke to my sister of this book, she had borrowed this book from the library and had just finished reading it!!!!!
She just loved the book and said once you start you won't be able to put it down. Hence I have not started reading yet

Maria
Old 04-20-2005, 11:40 AM   #12  
Fun Blonde

Ann, I didn't realize you had gained any weight. I remember after your surgery you were pretty happy with your weight. Oh but in the weight area, things do change. You are so much fun hearing from when I realize how short a time ago was your surgery.

Karen, Slavika gave you the best advice ever. We are all on borrowed time, so the time he has (really all of us) is a bonus. Just enjoy it. And thank God you only have one SIL living with you! Your other one has a MIL? I could never have done that one. Just enjoy your pool time and taking Sprout walking.

Maria, the "head is engaged" sounds good. Life will never be the same and no one can tell you exactly what that little girl will mean to you. But like Gloria said, you look into those little eyes and realize someone else younger than you has to get up for those horrendous 4 am feedings. It really isn't that much longer until you get back home, right? June?

Yes, we had the 10-year memorial yesterday. The OKC bombing has changed so many lives. We realize 9/11 came along and was so much worse. During that time we all were so caught up in the recovery. There was a time we did not want to watch anymore coverage and then at 5 I could not wait to shut down my computer and see what had happened. Hearing all that yesterday it brought all those sad, helpless feelings back. And they had so much coverage of the children who survived. Do you all remember the picture of the fireman holding the year-old little girl who had died? I can look at that and boo hoo bigtime. Her mama has had 2 more children since then, and in a way, that picture has not been a blessing for the mama. They even made it into a sculpture. Can you imagine?

I have to go. Wish I had mor time to visit. Everybody, love the spring sun!
Glenda
Old 04-20-2005, 12:20 PM   #13  

Ann I hear you with the crowded pools. Many of the winter people have gone from here already so life is a little quieter in the park. During the early spring there were lots of children around too. Sprout really liked that.

Maria sounds as if the time is coming fast that Baby will be born and you will be a Grandmother!

Glenda I watched the coverage yesterday and was close to tears again. A very sad day for sure.

Slavika I really, really, really like malts!!!!!

Later
Karen
Old 04-20-2005, 06:00 PM   #14  
BJ3

Does anyone else read Anne Tyler's books? I am bad about getting hung up on one author and devouring everything they have written. Her characterzations (sp?) are so good I find myself caring about them as much as people I know. I also just finished Sue Graftons latest book. And a Joy Fielding book. I do read alot!
Maria, Ick! Ick! Ick! I can't believe the people in your pool. I wouldn't ever use it again. I used to use the hot tub at my health club, but heard so many horror stories I quit. My neighborhood now has it's own exercise room so I don't need it. (It's also free and 5 minutes away.)
Slavika I did make the oatmeal bake with raisins, but did not pour milk on it. I can bearly stand milk on my cereal. I used to have a friend who poured water on her cereal she hated milk so much. I'm not that bad.
I just bought the new slow cooker Weight Watchers cook book and have found some great receipes in it. The chicken gumbo & pork loin with cranberry sauce & dried apricots were great. Can't wait to try more.
Yall have a great evening. I have to get ready for quilt guild. I was at bee all day. We are making a "mystery quilt" which is fun!
Old 04-20-2005, 06:30 PM   #15  

G'day all,

Just wrote a long post and it has disappeared, my new computer is still throwing a few 'wobblies'.

Off tomorrow for the long weekend to the Blue Mountains. DH has planned to do some 4x4 wheel driving and has found some interesting 4x4 wheel drive tracks.
It will be lovely to get away from the Sydney rat race.

BJ3 I do read quite a lot but I mostly read non-fiction. Not that much into murder mysteries etc though, I am now going to totally contradict myself , I do enjoy the books by Anne Rule but of course that is non-fiction crime.

Hope you all have a great weekend and I will 'see' you next Tuesday!

Cheers
Maria
Closed Thread