Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 04-13-2005, 07:53 PM   #1  

Default Burning all of my food away?

Ok, I've been hanging here since January, I have a gang I talk to often, but I want to get some advice from all around! I bumped up my weights last week to 5's, 8's, and 10's. Now all of the sudden I can't seem to get enough to eat. Will this hunger pang simmer down as my body adjust, do I just feed it more and pray it won't come back to haunt me. I usually eat 4 times a day, and not too much. I have managed to lose 20 lbs and would like to burn about 20 more off. I truley don't follow any hip diet plan, I just stick with low fat food. The later part of my question, I do have a thyroid problem, it is now underactive could this be part of the problem? Any insite would be apperciated, espically if I'm just having a normal reaction and panicking for no reason!
Thank you!!
lmatis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005, 10:09 PM   #2  
Ilene the Bean

Don't panic and certainly don't panic if you gain a bit initially when you up your weights when you are weight training...

The reason you are hungrier is because you muscles are asking for good clean protein (chicken breast, lean meat, eggwhites, cottage cheese, whey protein powder) and carbs (brown rice, oatmeal, sweet potato). If you are eating 4 meals/day go for a 5th one with a portion of lean protein and a portion of carb, if you are still hungry add a 6th meal. I eat 5-6 meals/day and on an intense leg day, I am ravenous.

Add some calories to your diet because if the calories are too low your body will go into starvation mode and hoard all the calories it can, then you'll gain weight, or plateau, even on a low calorie food plan...

Do you also do intense cardio? If not, don't be shy to do some ... Cardio AND weights are your friends ....

Hope this helps.... TTFN
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005, 04:57 AM   #3  
Meg

fellow Pittsburgher! Woo hoo on moving up in weight – isn’t that a great feeling?

Increasing the intensity of a workout can definitely make you hungrier, in my opinion. I’m just like you, Ilene – I get hungry enough to gnaw my own arm off after doing legs (walking lunges, baby!) . As soon as I get home from the gym, I HAVE to eat and better have something planned and prepared so I don’t get into trouble.

I second the ideas of eating more frequently and being sure to get enough protein to rebuild your muscles!

I’m hypothyroid too and don’t think that’s what’s making you hungrier. It’s true that untreated hypothyroidism can slightly slow your metabolism but I’ve never heard of it affecting appetite. I assume your doctor has you on meds for it? As I lost weight, my Levoxyl doses had to be changed (but surprisingly, not by that much). If you haven’t had a TSH test since you’ve lost the 20 pounds, you might want to ask if you need a new test.

Keep in mind that the last ten or twenty pounds are always the hardest to lose (darn it). Even though you’ve been able to lose to date by just eating low-fat, you might just have to tweak what you’re doing to get the last pounds off. Do you count calories or use something like Fitday to journal what you eat? Journaling might give you a better idea of exactly where you are with calories – high or low – and whether you need to adjust what you’re eating.

Let us know how you're doing!
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005, 07:28 PM   #4  

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!! I posted this before I went to bed so I was very pleased to see that this is normal!!

Meg, the Dr. did advise me to watch to be sure I don't get the shakes (thyroid tremors) but besides that she didn't mention much else. My thyroid was over active when I first started having problems with it and yes hunger was a huge problem, I didn't just eat I grazed morning, noon, and night so I was just a little worried. But if this is normal then I'm fine with that!

I worked out along time ago before my thyroid had problems and I never stuck with it long enough to get my weights up this high so it is a new experience for me. I'm all kinds of sore (in a good way)!! I wish I would have bumped up a few weeks ago, I was probably ready!! Oh well, live and learn!!

Thanks again, ya know every now and agian we need to be reminded that we are some what normal !!

Oh, and yes Ilene I do cardio, that goofy step 3 days a week! But it does work!! I'm gonna have to up my food intake!

Last edited by lmatis; 04-14-2005 at 07:31 PM.
lmatis is offline   Reply With Quote