South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 04-12-2005, 08:03 AM   #1  

Talking Day 2 question

Hopefully I won't have a new question EVERY day. Hubby and I weighed ourselves this morning. According to the scale, he lost 5 lbs yesterday and I lost 2. Is this "real" weight loss? Will it come back today? I didn't expect to see the scale drop on the first day.
Thanks, you guys are GREAT!!!

Jenn
Old 04-12-2005, 08:13 AM   #2  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Could be real and it could be dehydration. Let's hope it's real. It's very possible to have big drops when you change your eating style!
Go, Girl!
Old 04-12-2005, 08:14 AM   #3  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Um....you are from Missouri. Isn't that the show me State? Believe your scale but don't fret if it bounces back.
Old 04-12-2005, 08:24 AM   #4  
Tina

Hi Jenn!

I'm on day 12 of Phase one and lost 9 pounds so far (and also having a visit from me lil friend, so I'm sure I'll drop a few more once thats done )...From everything I've read, you do first lose any excess water you were retaining. However, if you stick to the plan, I think 'weight' should continue to come off, not go back on. It hasn't gone back on for me, my sis did this and lost 50 pounds and it stayed off for her also. Of course you may fluctuate a few pounds here or there even while on the SBD (I definitely wouldn't weigh yourself every day, just pick one day, mine is Friday mornings...I prefer mornings, seems you gain a few throughout the day) but I wouldn't sweat that, that's totally normal throughout the course of our wonderful womanly months anyways.

Good luck!!
Old 04-12-2005, 08:46 AM   #5  

Hi Jenn -- my hubby and I are addicted to the scale, too. We started on Sunday, and today he is down six pounds and I am down two. I don't care if it's "real" -- it's very encouraging! Keep going!

Deb
Old 04-12-2005, 09:54 AM   #6  

My BF and I are on that scale every morning and it seems to go down a pound pretty much every day since I started using the treadmill the second week on Phase 1 when I felt better. He dropped 5 lbs the first week and I dropped 3. It's a great motivator for me to see the scale go down everyday! There's been 1 or 2 days where I stayed the same and thats ok with me!
Old 04-12-2005, 10:31 AM   #7  
No Day But Today

S/C/G: 275/267/175

Height: 5'5"

I weigh every day in the first week - mostly because it is so exciting to see the pounds come off. I then back off as the weight loss slows down. On my last diet (plan... whatever!) I lost 11 lbs in the first week and Dh lost 16. It sounds like a lot, but we cut out salt completely and drank 100 oz of water a day - it was mostly water loss. But we didn't gain it back. It was a great motivator to keep on going!

I did weigh this morning and lost 1.2 lbs AND my body fat went down 1.0% - but that can fluctuate due to water etc. Since this diet doesn't cut out salt - I think I'll weigh in on Friday mornings (before the weekend!) If you have more processed food one day with more salt, or you are on your feet more - then your weight can change.

Does the group have a weigh in? It'd be great if I had a place to check in and set goals etc.
Old 04-12-2005, 12:54 PM   #8  

Default Thank you!

You guys made me feel much better! Hopefully it will stay off.
I even changed my signature to reflect it! YEAH!!!!
Hottie, what kind of cool scale do you have that measures body fat? I'd love to have something like that!!!
Jenn

Last edited by butterflykisses; 04-12-2005 at 12:58 PM. Reason: adding
Old 04-12-2005, 01:23 PM   #9  
No Day But Today

S/C/G: 275/267/175

Height: 5'5"

I have a Tanita Body Fat analyzer - we researched them on Amazon and other sites and finally bought it from Amazon. That was almost 2 years ago, so they may have better ones now. It was around $90

Ours have 4 preset settings, one "guest" setting (meaning just weight - it doesn't memorize your age, gender, previous weight etc.)

It measures weight in .2 lb increments and body fat %tage. When I started in 2003 I was at 51% BF, I got down to around 42% - I'm back up to 50% (although it said 49% today!) You should measure at the same time everyday - because it will fluctuate through the day. Your lowest bf reading will be in the afternoon - but the weight reading is higher!
Old 04-12-2005, 03:58 PM   #10  
Conquering with SBD

Well, for me, I'm on the scale at least 6 times a day I just like to monitor what I am eating, whether it is causing a weight loss, etc. and whether my exercise for the day is helping. However, you must realize that your weight will go up as the day progresses, so don't count on a weight loss during the day. If you do this, you will soon learn how much tolerance your body has to weight fluctuation during the day, and the gains as the day progresses are not so disturbing.

I also use my morning weight everyday to determine whether I need to react to a weight gain. If my weight goes up for an unexplained reason, then I review what I ate the day before to determine whether there was something that I should be eating with caution. Things that I consider with the weight gain are TOM, whether I was eating an abundance of starches or even getting into the occassional sweet treat. If I know I have been detouring slightly, I can react immediately to rectify the situation rather than wait until the end of a week to find out that my weight has increased too much.
Closed Thread