South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 04-11-2005, 03:12 PM   #1  
No Day But Today

S/C/G: 275/267/175

Height: 5'5"

Question How's this for my first day's meals?

Ok - for my first day here is what I've had:

Bacon and scrambled eggs (regular bacon, it's what we had!)

Turkey Breast and low-fat string cheese

Tuna and egg salad over tomato (made with Smart Beat Mayo)

Planning for rest of day:

Laughing Cow Light and cucumber slices

Turkey Club Salad (turkey breast, egg, bacon crumbles and cheese) w/ CarbWell Light salad dressing. (1 gram carb, 6 g fat)

Sugar Free Jell-o (I don't think I'm supposed to have this yet... but made some last night and was going to finish it tonite!)

Critiques, suggestions? I'm trying to keep this simple and not add alot of recipes right away. I like to cook - but want easy things to start and make it more "do-able" then when I get bored with what I have, I'll start being creative and venturing to the recipe boards.
Old 04-11-2005, 03:29 PM   #2  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Christy you have way too much protein and not nearly enough veggies. Try to aim for serious veggies like broccoli, spinach, green beans, cauliflower, cabbage, tomatoes, etc. When you are in Phase 2, you can add carrots. An iceberg letter salad just doesn't cut it, okay? Instead of the bacon this morning, try veggies with your egg. The egg and the bacon both have protein and fat. You don't need a double dose. And if you don't have the right stuff in the house, either get it or avoid it. Don't use the bad stuff instead, okay?

SF Jell-o is fine, even in Phase 1. You can make your own or buy the prepackaged cups. Just remember that you can only have 75 cals of non-nutritive sweet treats a day.

Does the dressing have more than 3 g of sugar? You don't need to worry about the number of carbs in anything. That's one of the many nice things about SBD, much less counting!

Don't forget your water...it's an essential part of any healthy WOE!
Old 04-11-2005, 03:55 PM   #3  
No Day But Today

Ok - so cheese is my weakness, I'm so glad it's allowed on this plan!

As far as veggies go, the salad isn't iceberg - spinach, romaine, tomato, mushroom, cucumber. We also have steamed veggies almost every night, just not on my menu for this evening - having salad instead. My tuna salad has celery and onion in it. And it was on top of 2 diced tomatoes.

The dressing says "South Beach Diet" on the front. I lied... it has 0 grams of carbs.

One slice of bacon and one egg isn't ok? I read in the book that bacon was ok (canadian bacon was better...but anway.) I'll try veggies in the morning, but that just doesn't sound good to me. Fruit or oatmeal would be my choice.

And - water has never been a prob. Previous plan had me drinking 100 oz - I'm up to about 80 oz.

Ok - well I just took some ideas for snacks/meals etc. from the book and I guess I grabbed all the ones that shouldn't be eaten on the same day.
Old 04-11-2005, 04:25 PM   #4  
Tina

Welcome aboard Christy!!

I thought regular bacon was a definite ?? Isn't it suppose to be only turkey bacon, two slices per day? I'm pretty new at this, so others may be able to help you out better with that. Also, if you add milk to your eggs for scrambled eggs, just make sure its the right kind. Oh, and thank god for SF JELLO!!! Good luck!
Old 04-11-2005, 05:04 PM   #5  

Yes, you definitely only want to use turkey bacon or Canadian bacon. Regular is way too high in fat. Aim for 4 1/2 cups of vegetables a day. I don't eat vegetables with breakfast during the week so I eat red pepper strips for my morning snack. It will be easier when you get to phase 2.

Your salad doesn't sound bad. But try lots of other veggies. Do you have the cookbook? My family loves the Sesame Ginger Asparagus. That recipe is also great with green beans too.

Is the dressing one of the new Kraft South Beach items? I didn't know they had salad dressings. As long as the fat is from a good source (canola, olive oil, soybean) and the amount of sugar is 3 grams or less, then it should be okay.
Old 04-11-2005, 05:55 PM   #6  
Working for the Cruise!

I agree with Beachgal, definitely add more veggies. In the mornings veggies are tough for me, but at lunch I try and have brocolli (my favorite) with whatever I'm having. I like to wrap a piece of turkey and some light munster around a cooked brocolli spear. I have a couple of them, with some extra brocolli on the side. (Putting this together at a lunch bar) Then I grab a hard boiled egg and half a cucumber sliced up for my snack. Then at dinner defintely go for 1/2 cup of green beans or brocolli or SOMETHING green.

Iceberg is really just a lot of water, which is great AND essential by the way, but not a good source of vitamins....not too mention veggies will keep you out of ketosis and keep you REGULAR!

And to agree with Barb, defintely read the book!
Old 04-12-2005, 12:55 PM   #7  
No Day But Today

I definitely don't eat iceberg - just romaine and spinach. I don't like it and it doesn't like me (yuk!)

Ok - I found where I was confused: I read under MEAT SUBSTITUTES: Bacon, 2 slices a day. (Not reading the MEAT SUBSTITUTE - I just thought it was a list of things to be had in moderation; sausage etc. DUH!)

So today:

Egg and ricotta scramble (Just couldn't get veggies in this am!)

Tuna and chopped tomatoes

Turkey Breast w/ avocado - 1 cup cauliflower!

PLANNING FOR LATER:

String Cheese and cucumber slices

Grilled Chicken and Veggies (Normandy Mix - give carrots to kids!)

Jell-o (or if I get to the store - fudgesicle!)

2 liters of water so far... supplements taken too! (Vitamins - Calcium, B complex, etc.)
Old 04-12-2005, 01:02 PM   #8  
No Day But Today

Oh - the dressing is called "CarbWell Light" and it says on the side "South Beach Diet" - it's not named that, yet, but I'm sure it will be. I have Ranch and Blue Cheese. The blue cheese isn't very "blue chesse-y" but DH said to buy crumbles to add to it. Do they have reduced fat blue cheese?

I also bought South Beach Diet Bars - formally CarbWell bars, I'd had the peanut butter ones before. I bought chocolate (yes it's Phase 2, I'm not eating it yet!)

Kraft was putting "South Beach" on a lot of it's products - but now they have ones named "South Beach." I guess since Atkins is losing popularity - and since WW has it's own line of food, SBD is giving it a try too.

I know don't have to count fat grams - but I'm a slow loser unless I try to control fat as well. If I add too many nuts, cheese, avocado etc. I slow down a lot, even if they are good fats.

Thanks for all the input.
Closed Thread