Closed Thread

Old 04-08-2005, 09:55 PM   #1  

Default Feisty & Sexy 50-60 year olds #47

G'day all,

Beautiful day here today, not sure what happened to autumn.

Got a call from dd.

I'll be back

Maria
Old 04-08-2005, 10:03 PM   #2  

G'Day to you also,
I'm new in here and will be 60 tomorrow, so does that make me too old to be in this forum?
Old 04-08-2005, 11:15 PM   #3  
Net browser

Welcome Jan
No, you are certainly not too old for this board. I am 65 years old, and I think that soon we will have to change the name of this board to something like for gals "of a certain age" and leave it at that.

See you all soon. Night.
Old 04-09-2005, 04:59 PM   #4  
Member Florida Chick

Hi everyone:
Welcome Jan, and no you are not too 'old' I have about 10 years on most of the gals, but I just say I am young at heart. You are not all that far from Karen and me. Plant City and Winter Haven. But we (my DH and me) don't go to Tampa. I do like Florida. Are you a native or a transplant like us?

Hi Gloria: Glad you came back. I am a transplanted New Yorker and now a Floridian. My DH is a Mass. native. Pittsfield and Williamstown. This is a second marriage for us, and we will celebrate 30 years together this Dec. In our blended family we have 6 kids. DH has four, 3 sons, and one daughter. I have two daughters. We have 14 grandkids. mostly grown now, and now 3 GGkids. We have spent a lot of time in Massachusetts, and Maine. We have family in New York State, Virginia, Maryland and Maine. Now it is their turn to come and visit us.

Whe my DH was a ships Captain, he sailed to various African ports. That was in his' first life' . When I met him he had become a river pilot on the St. Lawrence River, and we lived in Clayton, New York. Very close to Canada. We used to go across the border a lot. Now it is not so easy to come and go. He had a very interesting job. I was fortunate enough to make a couple of trips with him on the river. Fascinating to watch those big ships go through those little 'narrow' locks.

This afternoon a friend and I sang for a Memorial service in our clubhouse. We have them quite often, when one of our residents dies up north and then the family come back and give the friends down here a chance to say goodby. It is a nice thing to do.

Dh celebrated his birthday on Thursday and we went to Carabas restaurant. Definately not WW oriented, but I read that when you eat bread dipped in olive oil then you don't eat so much. Maybe that is true, since I brought home half of my dinner for lunch the next day. Sounds good, anyway.:

Maria: I think that even tho' when retired you have less income, your needs are much less. And you learn to live with what you have. You don't need so many clothes, as when you are working, etc. And even tho' you have half as much income and twice as much husband: the adjustment happens. And you each find a way to have your own private space. Every man has to have his 'cave' to escape into.

Slavika: Glad to hear that your DH is feeling better. Having to give him shots would be, for me, difficult. I think my DH would give them to himself. He wouldn't trust me. And WOW that is expensive stuff, but as long as it does what it is supposed to it is cheap.

Trudy: Hope you and DH are recovering nicely from your colds. Spring colds are the pits. We are having allergy troubles here. There is so much pollen. Some days the car is almost yellow with it.

Karen: I too would like to know the procedure that your DH might need. Does it have to do with irregular heartbeat? Hope that all is going well with two SIL's with you. You can always take Sprout for a walk. If you nee somewhere else to clean when things get tough, and your house is already spotless, come on over. :

Lily: Nice to hear from you. Why is it that weeds grow so darn fast? At least it gives us exercise to get them out. I did a little of that yard work today.

Glenda: Hope you are having a nice weekend. Being the doteing Gramma is fun. Now I don't get the chance to do that any more. But I do get emails from some of the older Gkids now and again. So they haven't forgotten me.

Peggy: Hope you have 'smooched the new little one now. How exciting. And I'm sure y ou will get to babysit as often as you want. It is fun to have a wee one around. They are so precious and they grow up so fast.

Hope you all have a great week-end. Ann
Old 04-09-2005, 07:59 PM   #5  

G'day all,

I never did manage to get back after talking to my dd for an hour and half yesterday

Jan for a minute I thought we had another Aussie joining us but then I read your profile and realised you just 'spoke' Australian when you started your post with 'G'day'
I turned 60 on March 21 so no you are definetly not too old and you are very welcome to join us.
We talk about 10% weight and 90% other things but that is what makes our forum interesting and fun, I am sure you will enjoy our company.

Ann enjoyed reading your long post. I bet you and your husband would have some stories to tell of your experiences. Especially your dh and his travels to Africa. He should write a book, if not to publish then for your children and grand children. I am sure they would love it.

It was great to receive a photo and the news of Peggy's new grand son by email this morning

Quite a warm day here today but in my hometown of Adelaide it was really hot yesterday 35 degrees and this is supposedly autumn The hottest autumn day on record.

Hope you are all having a great weekend.

Cheers
Maria
Old 04-10-2005, 09:18 AM   #6  

Morning,

And a beautiful one it is here. Sunny and warm and the flowering trees are in bloom. My tulips are getting ready to bloom.

Thanks for the congrats on the baby. He is really pretty-much more so than that picture. I have held him a couple of times. Glenda I loved your description of grandparents. They should be going home today. Be interesting to see what the granddogs think of him.

Karen you have your hands full with the 3 siblings close together. Hope it all works out. Now I have to check on this heart abalation [sp??] that your dh has. Not sure what that is. How is the painting coming along?

Slavika I don't know if my dh would trust me to give him a shot. I am thinking I would be a nervous wreck. That is some expensive medicine but if it works it is so worth it.

Gloria I live in Cincinnati. I have been to the Boston, Swampscott and Salem area but it has been many years ago. Used to have relatives there. I find losing weight a very frustrating thing to do. Seems it takes forever to lose a pound but overnight you can put on three. I just keep plugging away. I know in my heart what to do but my hand doesn't always follow.

Trudy that cold thing is going around here too. Hope you all are feeling better. I think the little angels name is the girl name they would have chosen. I bet she is getting big. She sounds so cute. If you look way down on the SW corner of Ohio that is where I am. About 15 min from either Kentucky or Indiana.

Welcome Jan. I just turned 64. I really can't believe that I am that old.

Ann what an interesting life you have had. And you never stop. I agreee with Maria that you should write down some the experiences.

Maria you have to be getting excited about the birth of Matty. It is amazing to hold the baby of your child. And I bet you will have tons of pictures, right??? I can't wait for you to experience it.

Going to an outlet mall today with my other son. Have a good day.
Old 04-10-2005, 11:24 AM   #7  
Web Nana

Good morning!
You all lead such interesting lives. Right now it is very quiet in my life, except for grandkids. However, next Friday DD#2 is going to DC with her family for a week for school vacation and guess what? We get to have their dog, a Chocolate Lab--7yrs old for the week. She is very hyper active and DH will love having his "own" dog to walk instead of asking the neighbors for a loan of theirs.

MariaYou must be very excited about the birth of your first grandchild. It is a very exciting time. Actually every new birth is exciting but the first is even more so. You do lead a very busy life moving from one place to another....always on the go. I realise that can be tiring after a while. Retirement will be a new adventure for you.

Ann Wow! Your DH came from around my neck of the woods. I grew up on the North Shore not far from Salem and when we were first married we lived in Swampscott. Small world!!!
When DH was in the service, Air National Guard, he was called up for active duty in "61. He was stationed in France and left me home with 3 kids under 3. About halfway through his tour he suggested that I come to Europe for a couple of weeks as he had leave time and it would only be my air fair since he was already their. I thought it very extravagant since we had just bought our home and with the small kids so I suggested that our 25th Anniv. would be a more appropriate time. He said that who knew where we would be then maybe wheelchairs....come. I did! I farmed out the kids to both sets of parents and was in Paris, the French Riviera, & Rome for 2 weeks. Wonderful time! I think back now and know it was the best thing because it was in the middle of his time away and I came back with a new perspective and was able to handle the next 6 months with the kids in a better frame of mind.
Later in '83 his civilian job sent him to Tokyo for a week and he took me with him. I was working at the time and since it was just before Christmas, retail job, my boss did not want to let me go but it was go for two weeks of I quit. Tokyo was such a wonderful place and I felt very save wandering around on my own while DH was at business. We got to go to Tokyo Disneyland which was fantastic. On the way home we stopped for a week in Hawaii. These experiences have lasted me a life time and we have never been sorry we took them.

JanDon't worry about being too old at 60....you youngster you! Next week I turn 72. Sometimes I don't even think that's old.

Gloria
Old 04-10-2005, 05:51 PM   #8  

G'day all,

Start of yet another week and how nice to read all the posts this morning.

Gloria what an interesting life you have had (and still having ) You made me smile about the baby sitting of the chocolate labrador. You cannot have your own dog or do you just enjoy having your dh 'borrowing' neighbours dogs? I love dogs but because of the life we lead, we do not have them anymore. My two papillions went back to the breeder when we started this life and both have now died. I don't think I would ever have dogs again, they are a big tie and I am so pathetic that I spoil them rotten

Peggy We are starting to count the days for Matty to be born. We have booked flights to go home on May 13 but should she make an earlier appearance we can change the date. It certainly will be a whole new experience and it will be hard having to come back here again albeit only till June 30.

Slavika how are the injections going? I hope they are doing the job. I really don't understand how the cost of some of this medicine can be justified. I am glad you have not had to pay for them directly. Your pharmaceutical scheme seems to be very similar to our Australian one. What we hear about the health cost in America....
Hope you are starting to enjoy some nice spring weather. I think it was Trudy who told us that her tulips were making their appearance . Always such a cheerful and welcome sight after the dreariness of winter.

It would seem that we are skipping autumn, another hot day today. Our football season has started and it really is not meant to be played in 35 degree heat. We were worried about our ds who is playing his last season. The temperature on the football field was 39 degrees but he survived the ordeal but was absolutely exhausted and is hoping for cooler weather next saturday.

Have a great day all,

Cheers
Maria
Old 04-10-2005, 07:01 PM   #9  
BJ3

I am so jealous of the grandbaby talk! I can't even get my boys married.
I enjoy this group as you seem to all be more my age than some of the groups I get into. Nothing against the "I"m working on my doctorate, on the fast track at work & so busy" crowd, but I've been there, done that. My life is so much simpler now.
I just bought some 98% fat free ground beef and can't find the points value for anything below 95% per ounce. Does anyone know?
Old 04-10-2005, 07:06 PM   #10  
Web Nana

Maria I just have to tell you that we have always, til 3 years ago, had dogs. It started out with St. Bernards. When the kids were small we decided to get a dog but I said it had to be small enough to fit into a shoe box. DH brought home a St. Bernard in a shoe box....of course the next day he no longer fit in the box. All in all we had 3 of them over the years and then when DD#1 became a widow she was unable to care for their dog, a Golden Retriever, so we took him and had him for about 7 years. When he died we decided not to get another dog...you are right they tie you to the house and we had retired and did want to do some traveling. This is the reason for the 'borrowed' dogs. DH loves to walk anyway and the dogs are great companions and like grandchildren they go home and there are no Vet's bills.

Gloria
Old 04-10-2005, 07:43 PM   #11  

Gloria my little Papillions could have been swallowed whole by your St. Bernards
I like your dh's sense a humour getting a dog that fits in a shoebox

BJ3 cannot help you with the points, calculations seem to slightly diffferent here in Australia, though 98% fatfree mince MUST be very good!

Maria
Old 04-10-2005, 08:02 PM   #12  
BJ3

Nanacas, Have fun with the Lab. I have a yellow lab who is an old man. He is 13, but still runs like the wind if he can sneak out the front door. The only way I can get him back is to get the car out, chase him in it and open the door. He will get in to go for a ride, but I could never catch him on foot! They are such funny dogs. I also have two cats, who never go out as they are declawed. The Calico occasionally sneaks out the back door when it is opened. I send the Lab after her and he puts one big foot down to hold her until I come and pick her up to put her back inside. Don't know how he figured out how to do that!
Maria, is mince Australian for ground beef? It was very good for hamburgers on the grill!
Can someone tell me how to get the weight loss graphic at the end of your post?

Last edited by BJ3; 04-10-2005 at 08:08 PM.
Old 04-10-2005, 09:03 PM   #13  

yes, I what you call ground beef, we call mince.

I use it for spaghetti sauces and also sometimes use it to make hamburger patties.

Once upon a time it used to made from the rubbish leftovers of beef and full of fat but nowadays there are so many grades of mince. I usually get the very low fat one.

M

PS I just realised that the web address I had here for my personal website (photos) was wrong. It has now been corrected and perhaps the new people might like to have a look at some of the photos on this site that we have taken since being in Sydney.

Last edited by flaggies; 04-10-2005 at 09:09 PM.
Old 04-11-2005, 05:08 PM   #14  

Hi,

It is fun to read about all the different lifestyles here. Gloria it would be funny if you lived by my relatives in Swampscott or Salem. I can't begin to imagine how much food those St. Bernard's ate. We have mixed breed, mostly terrier. He is 12 but in good shape.

BJ3 I had to laugh at you wanting grandbabies. I just had the first and it took them 5 years to get him. I was thinking that maybe I wouldn't see one in my lifetime. I don't know the points value of the ground beef. Karen or Lily might know.

We just took dh's parents to see the baby. He is so tiny-his little arms are so thin. You forget how little they are. He was mostly sleeping.

Maria didn't know that ground beef was called mince. We always get the lowest fat kind and sometimes get ground turkey.

Well that is as exciting as it gets here today.
Old 04-11-2005, 06:59 PM   #15  
Super Surfer

Smile welcome new posters to this board...

It is really nice to welcome BJ13, Gloria & Jan. If you have been reading our posts for a while you already know we are a friendly bunch. I don't know who the youngest or oldest are, we have so much in common, it really doesn't matter.
l lb of x-lean hamburger (mince) is 20 points. One of our old WW leaders gave us this point value a few years ago.

I shall come back with more to say later... bye for now.
Closed Thread