Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 04-07-2005, 08:44 AM   #1  

Default Body Fat Scales

I have a question about body fat scales. Does anyone have one?
I have a Tanita scale & off & on I check what it says.
What is a healthy reading of body fat & how much should I trust this scale?
I was thinking of having a doctor check it & see how it compares.
KTna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 11:10 AM   #2  
aka Superwoman!

S/C/G: SW:226/16st - about 50lbs lost

Height: 5'8"

Hi! I have a body fat scale! They're supposed to be quite accurate. But I suppose callipers and a more expensive fat monitoring device (electrical) would be more accurate. my lowest body fat has been 23.9%

This table is guidlines from the American Council of Exercise

Classification Women (% fat) Men (% fat)

Essential Fat 10-12% 2-4%
Athletes 14-20% 6-13%
Fitness 21-24% 14-17%
Acceptable 25-31% 18-25%
Obese 32% plus 25% plus

I use my body fat scales when I'm feeling frustrated that the weight scales don't go down!
2frustrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 11:32 AM   #3  

Thanks for the reply!
Any special advice about when to use it and that kind of thing? I have been trying to use it only at night before bed and an hour after drinking or eating - I think that is what the instructions said.
Ok, so 25-31 is acceptable. Great to know, I have some work to do yet to get it there.
I have been having a terrible time with the scale not moving for a while, then it went down 1.5, but now its up 2 lbs again. I have increased the duration of my workouts so maybe I'm grasping, but I was hoping the body fat scale will help explain what is going on. I haven't changed my eating at all, and I was losing a good 1.5-2 lb a week up until now. I thought it might be a water issue since I'm weighing in an hour earlier everyday (time change) but the scale hasn't budged all week at all.
How often do you use the body fat scale? I'm thinking of using it once a week in addition to the regular scale.
Old 04-07-2005, 11:44 AM   #4  
aka Superwoman!

I tend to weigh in the morning and mine recommends leaving 12 hours after exercising. If you weigh in in the morning, on an empty stomach there isn't much "non-muscle" stuff hanging around like undigested food (yum!) that will make the % higher.

I tend to use the body fat scale every couple of weeks, or when I get to a new "lowest" weight - I'm yo-yoing at the moment!

You say you haven't changed your eating at all, perhaps this is why you have reached a plateau, maybe just try cutting out one thing (like one candy bar or bag of chips) every day. Also try to drink more water, people say that this flushes out the system well and reduces water retention so you could lose a few % that way
Old 04-07-2005, 12:07 PM   #5  

Oh, in the morning - I was avoiding the morning for some reason??? I will try that.
I have increased my water this week, trying to get 100 oz a day.
I currently eat 1200-1400 calories a day. I really can't cut out any more without getting dangerous, and I really don't want to lose any muscle.
I tried adding a bit more fat, but that did nothing.
Old 04-07-2005, 03:57 PM   #6  
aka Superwoman!

Oooh yeah that's low, sorry didn't realise you were already watching your cals.

When I hit plateau at 1200 cals, I upped to 1600 and it started coming off again. I think if you're quite active then 1200-1400 isn't really enough. Have you tried calculating your RMR? you really shouldn't go under what that is. good site here http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/calrmr.htm

I try to be around 1600. I aim for 1400-1500, then there's room for bites and stuff I "forget"!
Old 04-07-2005, 04:28 PM   #7  

Thanks for the link.
It said 1550, so is that what I should consume to lose, or is that to maintain?
I have to admit that I have a real problem with not wanting to eat more than 1300 because that has been what worked to get me down 60 lbs. But I am willing to try anything at this point.
Eat more to lose - who would have thought?!?!
Old 04-07-2005, 04:42 PM   #8  
On My Way!

Wow...this is an interesting thread! Thanks for the questions and answers Ktna and 2frustrated! I've not reached a plateau yet, but this is good info to know when I get there.
Serafyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 05:06 PM   #9  
prepare for the BEST time

There is also a thread on Digital Scales in the Buyer Beward column......if you want to look.

I just got a new Tanita that measures bodyfat and water%....(sale at Bed Bath & Beyond with a 20% coupon too)I seem to never drink enough. The manual said to check your weight in the AM and bodyfat in the PM because bodyfat depends on your hydration level......
marbleflys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 06:14 AM   #10  
aka Superwoman!

KTna, the RMR 1550 is the least you should eat if you want to lose weight. If you eat less than this, then your body goes into starvation mode. So try eating 1550 and see what happens. Maybe expect a little blimp up to start with, but as your body gets used to it, it'll settle out.

I've averaged my cals for the week and I'm right on my RMR but I've only lost 1/4 lb!

Maybe try shaking up your workout too, try different activities so you use different muscle groups, so that your body doesn't get to bored!

GOOD LUCK!
Old 04-08-2005, 08:32 AM   #11  

Thanks for the advise. I ate more yesterday (around 1550) and gues what????
IT WORKED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I lost 1 of the pounds I had gained. I never would have thought that adding calories would work. Seems so counter-intuitive. I'll take it though! So I will stick to the higher calorie level, AND stay off the scale the rest of the week.
marbleflys - I never knew that there was a scale to check water %, how does that work? I'm pretty sure I have enough water (I upped the water to 100 oz a day this week) but does it make it more accurate for the body fat reading?
Thanks for all the help guys!
Old 04-08-2005, 10:11 AM   #12  
aka Superwoman!

WICKED! glad it's working! I think sometimes you just need to shake things up a little to keep the body on its toes!