Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 04-03-2005, 07:15 AM   #1  
Doin' it this time

S/C/G: 208.8/208.8/145

Default Cutting way down caffeine and sugar...are these symptoms normal.

Well it is a week today, that I totally cut out my 3 can a day pepsi habit and cut my 3 cups of tea down to 1 in the morning. Now I haven't cut carbs that much only the caffeine and sugar and I have to tell you I am always tired...going to bed at 9PM however I am now getting up at 5AM cause I went to bed so early and I have been having pain in my legs from about the hip down to my ankles....is this normal???

Insight please???
Hockeychic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2005, 07:26 AM   #2  
honourary nutcase

S/C/G: 238/234/196

Height: 5'10"

hey there all of that sounds like what i had when i first gave them up and reduced them. its your body crying out for them just like you would crave a cigarette. Mine passed within about 2 weeks and felt fantastics
hugmequick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2005, 10:52 AM   #3  
Delicious Microwaved!

Although her symptoms manifested themselves in a different fashion (mostly headaches), my mother had a TON of trouble shutting down her Pepsi habit. I see you've been a Pepsi drinker too, hehe, maybe they put something addictive in there j/k

Seriously, I totally agree with hugmequick. Depending on how sensitive you are to caffeine, cutting it out of your diet can cause a lot of different withdrawal symptoms. National Geographic magazine recently ran an interesting article about caffeine. They showed MRI images of brain activity in individuals who usually consumed caffeine and were not allowed their cups of java--it wasn't pretty! Your body begins to rely on the stimulation and I think it's reasonable to expect some withdrawl symptoms.

Hang in there and give it some time... hopefully the pains and lethargy will clear up. Best of luck!

<--- a fine example of caffeine overload
Luciole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2005, 01:33 PM   #4  

The tiredness is DEFINITELY a withdrawal symptom. Some people also experience, headaches, etc. However, I would say the leg pain probably ISN'T a result of stopping the caffeine and sugar. If it continues I'd give the doctor a call.
funniegrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2005, 02:05 PM   #5  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Height: 5'4"

When my boyfriend quit caffeine cold turkey he had horrible headaches and slept almost all day for a couple weeks, so that's probably what your tiredness is from at least. It won't last forever!
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2005, 04:40 PM   #6  
On My Way!

This is an interesting thread. I didn't used to drink much coffee at all--just an occasional social cup of coffee after a meal, but I learned to drink a couple of cups in the morning this year, and have recently decided it just isn't healthy for me (I get more extreme PMS other problems from drinking), so I've cut it out drastically. I definitely got the headaches and tiredness. But I have also had soreness in my joints, particularly my hips also in my legs. I didn't attribute it to anything but needing to lose weight, but now I'm wondering. I've lost only 8 lbs, but the pain is gone. So are the headaches and other stuff...happened all at about the same time. Curious.
Serafyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2005, 08:17 PM   #7  
Doin' it this time

S/C/G: 208.8/208.8/145

Thanks everyone for your input.

Serafyn, that is exactly where my legs hurt from the hips to my ankles. How long did this last for you.

Fortunatley I did not get the headaches but I am still a bit tired and the legs are still sore and it is now 3 days....

Thanks
Hockeychic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 03:00 AM   #8  
On My Way!

Hockeychic, I don't remember exactly when the pains left, but I cut back on the coffee at the same time as I started getting serious about weight loss and fitness--March 15th of this year. It only took me a few days to get over the head aches....staying hydrated helped that. I think the pain in my legs and hips left around the same time. And I'm wondering if coffee withdrawal might be related to other times when I've had those same kinds of pain, because I've cut back from time to time in the past year, and many times I've had the pains come and go, but I don't recall whether or not they came with the caffeine break, or not. Hope you understand what I mean. Hope that helps, too. I'd give it another week or so, and if the pains don't go away, maybe you should check with your doctor. Also, have you started a new exercise that might be causing soreness?
Serafyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 10:02 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

I agree that the tiredness is caffeine and sugar withdrawal from cutting down so quickly on the tea and Pepsi! I would only expect these symptoms to last maybe another week or so while your body adjusts to the change.

I do wonder though about the pain. Is there anything you have down out of the ordinary-landscaping in the yard, packing all day to move, a new exercise video-or anything else that could possibly contribute to the pain?
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote