Closed Thread

Old 04-03-2005, 01:48 AM   #1  
Incrediburgable

Cool Trying to lose weight on WW

Hello!
I just joined this forum today, after I cheated yet another day on WW after joining and losing 13 pounds since Jan., 2005. I don"t know why I am having so much trouble sticking with it, but I thought I would get some real support. I like WW but the meeting leaders where I go are nothing short of BBBoorriiinnnggg!
A bit about me. I am 42, single mom of two older teens, in college again working on another nursing degree and recuperating from a pretty severe back and shoulder injury at work.

I walk a lot- usually 3-5 miles on the incline treadmill 4 days a week. I work 12 hour days and working out after being gone from home that long is darn near impossible. I have Lupus which makes a lot of anything hard but I refuse to give in!

I like WW, but I am a carb addict. I tried Atkins and gained 20 pounds. My doctor says I am healthy lab wise, but this weight is killing me mentally and physically and MUST come off.

Quick, someone give me challenge for this week starting Sunday April 3, 2005.
Hey to all of yall!
Old 04-03-2005, 10:07 AM   #2  
Cowboy Up Chick

Dieting Myth – Believe Setbacks are Fatal

Learning to accept setbacks as a part of being human will help you cause yourself less frustration on the road to success. Setbacks, when viewed as learning tools, actually help dieters achieve their final goals. Just about every person with a great body I’ve encountered experienced a glitch somewhere in their attempt to slim down. Those who succeeded were able to step back, analyze what went wrong, correct the problem(s), and then use it as part of their motivation.

“When I started the final program that became my success, I too pen in hand and listed all the times I had tried to lose weight in my life, and what happened that made me get off track. What I found was that it was the same situation playing itself over and over again.” Chandra, age 51, 58 pounds lost

SETBACKS

It can be a vacation, a weekend of partying, or a major life crisis. All setbacks and lapses prove is we’re human. It’s not fatal. Here’s how to get back on track.

1. Take immediate action. The sooner you start, the easier it will be. Don’t try to analyze it to death.
2. Make it a priority. For the next few days, monitor everything you at, and become proactive in your plan. After getting back on track, you can back to coasting.
3. Create a schedule that will not leave you much time for anything else. Write down your menu, take a class, or get your hair done. Get back to you.
4. Don’t do anything drastic. Don’t try to fast or go crazy with exercise. It’s a form of self-punishment which just won’t work.
5. Avoid temptations. Throw away that part food and liquor, and decline that invitation that may lead to further problems.
6. Don’t wear the bulkiest item you own. This just reinforces the negative feelings you have toward yourself.
7. Forgive yourself and get on with other important issues in your life not involving food.
Old 04-03-2005, 10:09 AM   #3  
Cowboy Up Chick

Points Pies

Balanced (under 250 pounds)

Complex Carbs/Grain Based Foods – 8-9 points a day
Protein-rich Foods – 6-7 points a day
Fruits and Veggies – 0-3 points a day
Fats, added sugars – 2-3 points a day
Milk and Milk Products – 4-6 points a day

20-28 points a day

Higher Protein (under 250 pounds)

Complex Carbs/Grain Based Foods – 5-6 points a day
Protein-rich Foods – 9-11 points a day
Fruits and Veggies – 0-1 points a day
Fats, added sugars – 2-4 points a day

20-28 points a day

Higher Carb (under 250 pounds)

Complex Carbs/Grain Based Foods – 9-10 points a day
Protein-rich Foods – 5-7 points a day
Fruits and Veggies – 1-3 points a day
Fats, added sugars – 1-2 points a day

20-28 points a day

-----

Balanced (over 250 pounds)

Complex Carbs/Grain Based Foods – 11 points a day
Protein-rich Foods – 10 points a day
Fruits and Veggies – 3-4 points a day
Fats, added sugars – 2-3 points a day

30-34 points a day

Higher Protein (over 250 pounds)

Complex Carbs/Grain Based Foods – 8 points a day
Protein-rich Foods – 12 points a day
Fruits and Veggies – 2-3 points a day
Fats, added sugars – 4-5 points a day

30-34 points a day

Higher Carb (over 250 pounds)

Complex Carbs/Grain Based Foods – 13 points a day
Protein-rich Foods – 8 points a day
Fruits and Veggies – 2-4 points a day
Fats, added sugars – 3 points a day

30-34 points a day
Old 04-03-2005, 10:12 AM   #4  
Cowboy Up Chick

The 2 things I posted will hopefully help you realize that 1) setbacks in weight loss are not fatal but human so don't let them get you down and 2) the PointsPies should help you break up your points to eat healthy and curb your 'junky carb' appetite if you eat whole foods and stay away from most processed foods.
Old 04-03-2005, 10:31 PM   #5  
Incrediburgable

hey, those pies are awesome. I KNOW how to eat, but I am having trouble doing it. I think it is all stress, because I eat for good health all day but blow it each night when I sit and realize the list of things to get down keeps growing longer and longer.

I like the idea of scheduling a lot into each day. It seems like lately I am just wasting time instead of being productive. Perhaps this is what is stressing me out even more.
Old 04-04-2005, 10:15 AM   #6  

A mantra I used just last night, after going to Outback. (And eating a Bloomin' Onion, ALL of my steak and potatoes and Sydney's Sinful Sundae)

"One meal does NOT RUIN A DIET!"

If you deny yourself EVERY single time, you won't stick with it. But you do have to take control and limit yourself. I have stayed on plan for 6 weeks, and this was my first time going, 'Not counting this meal, just enjoying it.'

Today, right back on track. Morning water. OJ (Measured out to be sure it is only 8oz) WW Cereal with skim milk. Fat free Bologna Sandwich with rice crisps. Yogurt. Sensible dinner - Weight Watchers Meeting.

I may even be up a bit from all that food yesterday. But ya know what?

"One weigh-in without loss DOES NOT RUIN YOUR WEIGHT LOSS"
(Actually, even many weigh-ins without loss do not ruin your progress - you have to look at the whole picture: I may not have lost weight, but I exercised 3x a week and that is healthy for me.)

Good luck!
Old 04-04-2005, 08:37 PM   #7  
Always FatGirlVSFitGirl

S/C/G: 206/180/155

Height: 5'3 1/2"

Interesting stuff. I recently read the Bob Greene Total Body Makeover. It's a tough program. I'm not pushing that. There is a chapter on (chapter one now that I look ) "building a sound emotional foundation". He probably has similar info in other books, I just never bothered to actually read any of that. That's the chapter I usually skip.

Anyway, as I was reading it, I took some notes about what made the program (WW) work for me in the past, what I was doing now that was different. It's really interesting, if you could get it out of the library and just read that chapter, I think you would find it enlightening. In fact I'm going to read it again.

There a few things he recommends as far as eating, he doesn't come right out and push any plan, in fact he gives a synopsis of 10 different plans (including WW) and he does speak highly of WW.

One thing he says is give yourself a cutoff time, 2 to 3 hrs. before bedtime, no eating, he says to start with a half hour if you need to and try to work your way up to 2 to 3 hrs. It helps if you can tell yourself "I can have that tomorrow" then by tomorrow you don't care about it as much.

Also, he recommends "concious eating" really thinking about what you're eating and why before you eat it.

Well, hope that helps, talking about it to you is helping me, so Thanks!
Old 04-04-2005, 08:59 PM   #8  
Cranky Princess

Hey girl. I too am doing WW but doing the online version. I find that Im usually good the first part of the week and then allow my self one indulgent day where i can be a little bad. Not as bad as I used to eat, but i do splurge. And then after that I can go back to eating healthier the rest of the week. While sometimes it does give me somthing to look forward, ive noticed lately i feel a little bloated after that day cause i dont drink enough water those days and eat fattier foods.
I used to eat healthy 7 days a week but that didnt last very long. This works well for me cause somedays im a little stressed out so i eat or have an urge for some french fries and a burger. So those are my indulgent days. Hope this helps ya.
Old 04-06-2005, 01:30 PM   #9  
Bewitchin' in the kitchen

I agree, treating yourself to something you really want occasionally helps to keep you from feeling deprived.

I like to have a good piece of chocolate (Black & Green's organic chocolate or Godiva) as a treat and take my time savouring it

Even if you over indulge in one meal don't treat it like a write off for the rest of the day or week.
Closed Thread