Closed Thread

Old 02-25-2005, 06:01 PM   #1  
Beauty, Brawn and Brains!

S/C/G: 298(O)/268.2(RS)/247.9.0/175.0

Height: 5'9''

Smile March Chat

My single, 25 year old, still in college, still living with her parents, working part-time at Home Depot sister is pregnant. Oh yes, she's keeping the baby.

Can I be devestated and not be a bad sister?
Old 03-01-2005, 02:14 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 202/144/Lean/Fit

Height: 5'2

You can be devastated and not be bad. You want the best for your sister, your future neice / nephew and your parents and although having a baby is not the worst that can happen, it will certainly slow her down in her studies and future goals.

Tiki
Old 03-03-2005, 02:19 PM   #3  
Cookin' With A Vengeance!

Jessica-She is setting herself up for a rough time....I'd be devastated too.

Our computer went down, and when DH finally got it working again it took a while to find the disc to regain internet access, so I couldn't report my Feb. results...I stayed OFF the sugar (YAY!!) but I didn't keep up the exercise. So I am adding that to this month's challenge. ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!!!
Old 03-03-2005, 03:37 PM   #4  

Jessica, I too think you can easily be devastated and loving at the same time. You love her and want the best for her and she's set herself up for a hard time.

Well, I'm all moved in to our new place. Moved, but not settled. Boxes are still the major source of aesthetic stimulation around here. There are also a few maintence issues with the place. Apparently the last tenant didn't like to call maintenence, so quite a few things went unfixed. I'm really happy with the place though. It is quiet, much bigger and the view from our bedroom is to die for.

I was hoping that with the move I would lose wieght, but it seems that somehow I gained 6 pounds! I'm not sure what to think of that. To be honest I'm trying hard not to. I guess I didn't make the best food choices and I probably didn't drink enough water. Aak.
Old 03-06-2005, 07:52 AM   #5  

Height: 5'-2"

Oh, Jessica... big hugs, sweetie.
Of course you're a good sister, but you're so psychologically tied to your family that's it's almost impossible NOT to be devastated.
It will all be okay... just love her.

Den, get on the bike, will ya? I'll get on the treadmill, okay?

Hannah, I'm glad you're happy with your new place! It's sounds lovely.
DH and I each gained 10 pounds when we bought this house. We were so tired that we ate a lot of take-out stuff.

Our kitchen is almost finished! I'm painting the baseboards today. And putting the millionth coat of paint on the old set of upper cabinets that we decided to keep. I should have primed them first... crap!
Old 03-06-2005, 12:05 PM   #6  
Bewitchin' in the kitchen

Your place sounds great Hannah!

Oooh! Can't wait to see your finished kitchen ellis!

I had the best day yesterday, I went out with my parents and helped them pick out a new carpet and a very simple chandelier for their livingroom. Then we went out for lunch. Lovely day.

In my travels I found some really cool fabric that I bought and stayed up until midnight cutting out and pinning to make throw pillows for my couch. After that I will be making a mathing valance for my livingroom curtains. I haven't been sewing much in the last year so if felt good to start a new project
Old 03-06-2005, 02:21 PM   #7  

My place is coming together. After a major meltdown over the missing can opener (I ended up using a multi-tool opener) last night I've been working hard to get my kitchen together. It is almost there. The only thing that's not working is that the cabinets are all too small for liquor bottles, so I guess we'll have to display them. We have so much! It's really funny that two people who rarely drink have such a large collection of liquor.

We are getting the living room and study together too, slowly but surely. I guess the last thing will be our bedroom. Funny how it always works that way!

mauvaisroux, you should post some pics of your pillows when you're done with them. I'm going to set up a sewing area here soon. I've never really sewn much, but I learned a lot about it from my mom and I have a really nice machine.

ellis, hope your kitchen is done soon! I bet it will be so nice!
Old 03-06-2005, 04:32 PM   #8  
geeky pagan chick

S/C/G: 265/136/150

Hannah, we're the same way with liquor bottles! We love making fancy cocktails, but hardly ever do so, maybe twice a month at most & We have our liquor bottles all displayed on the top of our kitchen cabinets (Not much cabinet space, but really high ceilings in our kitchen) It looks like we're running a speak easy, lol.

Mauvaisroux, sounds like you had some quality craft time. I want to see pics when you're done too I'm finally making progress on the sweater for DH that I started in the fall. I started the second sleeve this morning at the coffee shop. By the end of the week I'll hopefully be joining the sleeves to the body and starting up the shoulders, w00t.
Old 03-07-2005, 09:45 AM   #9  

That's funny - We don't drink that much either but we have a fully stocked bar too

Frig! It snowed most of the day yesterday and started up again overnight. Woke up this morning to blizzard like conditions that are supposed to
last all day followed by flurries for the next 2 days!

No wonder so many Canadians suffer from SAD - our darned winter won't be over until June!
Old 03-07-2005, 12:21 PM   #10  

Hee hee, glad to hear I'm not the only one with a full bar and little desire to drink it.

mauvaisroux: That must also be the reason why so many Canadians transplant to New Mexico, or at least vacation here in Spring. In my department alone we have 3 transplanted Canadians, including one professor who took a pay cut to move down here!
Old 03-07-2005, 01:28 PM   #11  

Yes, and the poplulation of Florida increases every winter with all the Canadians (referred to as Snowbird) that migrate there for 3 months.

Wish I could afford to do that
Old 03-07-2005, 01:34 PM   #12  
Waisting away

Well, I guess winter's going out like a lion. I can hardly see out my window right now the snow is blowing so much. It's very pretty though.
Old 03-07-2005, 02:18 PM   #13  
Cute & Fluffy

S/C/G: 219/217/150

Height: Short!

I have a fully stocked bar, and don't drink much either. Lately I have been doing a shot of Mocha Caramel liquor in hot chocolate.

Yes, I am still around, just very busy and very sleepy. Some of the major work stuff is done. Now I just have to do my resume, since I am going to apply for another job. My heart isn't set on this new job though, just could be a cool opportunity.
Old 03-11-2005, 11:36 AM   #14  
CrAzY GiRl on a mission!

S/C/G: 307/307/150

Good Morning Ladies~
Hope you don't mind my butting in like this...hehe
I am relatively new to the Alternachicks (I did post my piccy in the link provided by Mauvaisroux though...
Sounds like many of you ladies have fun projects going on right now. And while I understand that putting together a new place, or refinishing a kitchen is work, I wish I had that luxury. Right now I am living with my DBF and his parents...and as much as I want a place of my own, I am very comfortable here.

But alas, I do hope everyone is well, and will check in again later.
Old 03-11-2005, 12:14 PM   #15  

Hello synn1977! I find myself wishing a lot of times that I lived closer to family, so it's a toss up. Having one's own place is great, but there's nothing like family.

We've hit a bit of a stall with setting our place up. Since last Friday my DBF has been experiencing what is best described as migraines without the pain. He's been to the doctor a couple of times and might have high blood pressure, but his counselor thinks he is having panic attacks. I tend to agree with the counselor. He suffers from complex PTSD and the move wasn't easy on him. Even though he really likes our new place and didn't like our old one it destabilized his life, which is never good. Anyway his basic inability to leave the house has gotten me in the groove of cooking comforting meals at home. Tomorrow is the first day of our Spring Break and we'll spend a lot of time setting up our nest, but we also want to take a few road trips. Fortunately he has most of the week off from work too, call it a mental health vacation. He has a good boss.
Closed Thread