Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 03-25-2005, 09:41 PM   #1  

Question how to start?

i'm new here, and i'm just starting out dieting. i've finally realized that although people have been calling me fat for a while, that i need to do this for myself, and not for anyone else. i am just having so much trouble starting my diet, and i was wondering if anyone else had ever felt this way, and how they got through it. at times, i feel motivated - i even joined the gym! but somehow, i just can't bring myself to excersise. i start out my day wanting to eat right, but as it goes on, it is impossible for me to resist the urges that i have to eat. it's frustrating, because i really do want this. how can i kick start myself?

thanks so much....

Last edited by tickledpink0987; 03-25-2005 at 09:46 PM.
tickledpink0987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005, 01:06 AM   #2  
Delicious Microwaved!

Hi Tickledpink

Don't despair! I think it's safe to say that pretty much everyone who has lost weight has wrestled with the same issues that you currently face--I know I did

How to get started depends a lot, I think, on how much weight you have to lose. If you have a significant amount of weight to lose (let's say 20 lbs or more), then it's important to remember that any positive changes you make in your eating habits and activity level will eventually show results. Since you say you're having problems keeping your motivation up throughout the day, I would recommend this: Whenever you are about to eat, try to take a slightly healthier option than your first choice. So, if you're about to eat bacon at breakfast, maybe try ham instead--and skip the butter on your toast; about to eat a candy bar? Substitute a granola bar, chocolate milk, or only eat half of the candy bar and toss the rest; Getting a sub/sandwhich that you would usually order with cheese? Have them hold the cheese. Or, only eat half of the roll.

Initiating very small changes like these often help get you on the right path without making you feel deprived. I mean, think about, if you eat a stack of pancakes for breakfast with maple syrup and you hold the butter (assuming you would ususally use both the butter and syrup), are you really going to feel deprived? But, in reality you've saved yourself 100 plus calories making that small change. And 100 calories a day adds up to about 10 lbs a year. So you're still making a healthier weight-loss promoting choice even though your belly's full of pancakes. Starting out with small changes is often a great way to get your motivation up because you don't really feel like you're "dieting" yet, if you're reasonably honest with yourself and committed to making at least a few of these changes every day, then within a month or so you should see significant weight loss. And I think, for most people, once the weight starts coming off (and they see the "reward" for their actions), the process of losing weight becomes a lot easier. Where you are--at the beginning--is truly the hardest step.

As far as the motivation for exercise, it's great that you've joined a gym but maybe it's just too big of a step for you (and that's why you "can't bring yourself to exercise") at the moment. Why not try incorporating a small amount of cardio (20 mins, 3x a week) at home at first just to get into the swing of things. I do ALL my exercising at home because I know I'm too lazy to drive to the gym on a regular basis. Yes, it gets boring now and then (alternating between step and ellipital machine and free weights), but what's important is that I manage to do it regularly (I usually miss about 1 day a month). What helps me the most is to exercise first thing when I get home from work. A lot of people prefer first thing in the morning. I'd suggest take a small block of time each day, whatever's best for you, and commit yourself to spending that time on either cardio or strength training. Since you're at the beginning stages now, don't be too hard on yourself or create any kind of crazy stringent routine to follow--just lock yourself up for a half hour a day and do something, ANYTHING, that is exercise. I really think that if you can get the routine of exercising extablished, you'll have a much better chance of making it to the gym each day.

For general motivation, I'd take a look at this site too: http://www.100-weight-loss-tips.com/ . Most of it's very general but there are some great suggestions for morale/motivation boosters and a cute sense of humor running throughout the site. I still look it over time to time when I'm losing my will power.

Blah, this turned into a big, long, babbling rant! I hope something proves helpful to you! Keep your chin up and just keep trying. It may take a lot of efforts but there's no such thing as failure until you stop trying.

Best of luck!!!
Luciole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005, 01:36 AM   #3  

HI TickledPink
from personal experience you just say right thats it, no more saying today is shot I will start again tommorow/monday. I decided that this time I will def stick to it - others can and so can I, I do have moments of weakneses but I acknowledge them instead of ignoring them like I used to. I tried WW years ago but lost interest, tried joining the gym, tried every known diet. Now I am following WW at home from old info I kept, I track EVERYTHING I eat and come here daily along with reading weightloss blogs and magazines. But in saying that I do think the less I think about food the better I am. I have realised that if I drink even 1 small glass of wine my willpower goes out the window (just realised that today) I have found that 30 min of light to mod exercise every day make me stick to it. GOOD LUCK with it and feel free to PM if you need support.
Tess.
happyterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2005, 06:18 PM   #4  

I know I had a hard time jump starting myself to start using my exercise equipment again. It was just sitting in the living room and my bedroom, taking up space and gathing dust. I was angry at myself for not using it after having spend so much money on it, and it was so convient to use! But I was tired. Or busy. Or wanted to watch this tv show. Or surf the net. I had no problems thinking of ways to stay off of the things!

The way I broke myself of this was to start very, very small. I told myself that I would spend 5 minutes a day on the elliptical, and do one set of 10 reps at a low weight on my home gym three times a week. The entire routine, including the cardio, only took about 15 minutes! I felt a little winded, but not bad, and I wasn't too sore. And 15 minutes wasn't too much, really. I didn't set a timetable for myself when I would do more.

But it didn't take very long before I wanted to more. 5 minutes of cardio started to feel like nothing. 10 reps was hardly anything. I found myself wanting to increase what I was doing. And I did. Once I got the ball rolling, well, it wanted to roll faster.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005, 09:25 AM   #5  
Old Cackler

these ladies are smart. and i'd like to add the importance of SELF-TALK. you know, those little things we say to ourselves throughout the day...

we all sabotage ourselves through these thoughts, so i've been working on changing those words. 'i want to go to the gym.' 'it's time to take a walk.' 'eating that cake is not in my best interests right now.'

see? and it works better in some areas than in others, and it's better on some days than on others, but it feels like a step in the right direction.

and another thing, i generally make exercise an appointment, like getting to work on time, or anything else that happens on a schedule. i needed it to become a routine like brushing my teeth...

good luck , and congratulations on all the positive steps you've been making!
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 07:25 PM   #6  

thank you so much for everything you all said...it really helped alot! i've been getting alot better at motivating myself, and i feel alot better knowing that i'm not alone.
tickledpink0987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 07:35 PM   #7  
the journey begins

S/C/G: 270/257/150

Hi

I just wanted to say that I'm right there with you. Just starting again now... have 100lbs to lose, and am petrified at starting the process (well, not so much anymore, thanks to the lovely ppl helping me on here).

Taking it one step at a time, I think that'll be key for us - we can't get overwhelmed and we must force ourselves to move our body every day, even for just a few minutes.

I have already learned so much just being here the last couple days. Stick around, I'm sure you'll get the support you need. I'm here too, if you ever want to PM me.

Take care and good luck!
Amberoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 08:17 PM   #8  

You know for me - reading success stories from others really gets me motivated.

Other small things I'll do is try to not jump in head first and just start out making little changes at first. For instance, start out exercising 20 minutes a day for let's say 3 days the first week; maybe add another day or more minutes the next week. Eating at home more often and not eating out so much. Taking my lunch to work with me rather than going out for fast food. Choosing something healthy to snack on rather than that Milky Way.

You'll see in no time - these things will be 2nd nature to you.
lovtolaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 11:46 PM   #9  

How did you guys get that little measure thing showing weight and loss???
Chubby Girl is offline   Reply With Quote