Does it Work? Unsure if the latest product or service lives up to it's claims? From popular products to the latest scams, discuss it here before you buy!

Closed Thread

Old 03-25-2005, 12:06 AM   #1  

Default Metabolism shots????

In yesterday's Chicago Sun-Times, there was an article about Congressman Jesse Jackson, Jr. and his regimen for losing 50 pounds. The Congressman is on a diet and exercise program, which includes calorie reduction and avoidance of refined carbs.

However, his diet was jump started by something called "metabolism shots" prescribed by his doctor. Here is the quote:

Quote:
While some folks need a kick in the pants to slim down, Jackson's doctor took it a step further.

"I got shots in the butt once a week for three months to boost my metabolism," he said.

Exactly what kind of metabolism boosters were injected in Jackson's posterior, the congressman's not telling, Bryant said.
Does anyone have a clue as to what these "metabolism shots" could be?

Here is the URL for the article:
http://www.suntimes.com/output/news/...jackson23.html
Old 03-25-2005, 12:49 AM   #2  
it's always something

Interesting! I've not heard of it. Maybe it was B-12 shots. I found this article that asks if B-12 shots can boost the metabolism, but the response was that it was a myth.

http://www.drweil.com/u/QA/QA142964/

More than likely, the weight he lost was due to the reduced calorie diet he was following, plus the fact that he used a treadmill every night.
Old 03-29-2005, 06:58 PM   #3  

Default Re: Metabolism shot..update

Ahhh....guess the Congressman had surgery, a "duodenal switch". Didn't we all just know that the metabolism shot was too good to be true? LOL.

http://www.suntimes.com/output/news/...jackson29.html
Old 03-30-2005, 06:53 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 197/159/140

Height: 5' 4"

I was under the impression that when you first started a diet/exercise program, you DID lose weight quickly because you were basically losing water weight? That's been my experience, at least.

I'd say the Congressman was dooped. JMO, of course.
Old 03-30-2005, 11:21 AM   #5  
Uber-Moderator!!

I haven't seen any photos of JJ Jr - the article said he's lost 50 lbs but didn't say whether that was his goal weight or if he was wanting/needing to lose more. I would think so - unless he had severe diabetes or something like that, I don't see having WLS for *just* 50 lbs. (IMO of course)

I also read elsewhere that his sister had the same surgery. (It was a news site...will have to find the link)

And yup, that 'metabolism shot' was probably B-12 and some other vitamins. From what I've read, it's especially important for folks who have had a duodenal switch to make sure they are faithful about supplementation to make up for the malabsorbtion factor...I'm just glad he decided to air the truth before half the country went searching for 'metabolism shots'.
Closed Thread