Old 03-23-2005, 03:50 PM   #1  

Default Hi, newcomer here

Hi everyone. My name's Leah, I'm 22 and I really have a problem with binging and overeating. I've been on Weight Watchers for 2 years. I lost 50 pounds the first time and have now gone up and down the past year to where I'm now back to where I started. I've been looking at OA stuff and I may go try to attend a meeting on Saturday to check it out. I like the idea of the 12 step plan. I just need some support and this is the first site I found that has a forum like this.

What do you all do when you know you are about to go on a binge. I need to figure out how to stay away from binges.
silvara34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 12:03 PM   #2  
Linda

Height: 5'0"

Hi Leah,

I don't know if you are still around, but I just wanted to let you know that I know what you are going through.

Around two years ago, I lost 40 pounds and have now gained all but 5 pounds back.
It's just an awful feeling to defeat yourself.
I get so mad at myself for destroying all that hard work.
BUT, I'm now ready to start all over again.

((((HUGS))))
Linda
famograham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 12:16 PM   #3  

Smile I know how you feel, too

Leah,
I know exactly how you feel. I suffered from anorexia, bulimia, and a combo of the two in high school which caused my weight to go from less than 90 lbs. up to 150-both unhealthy for my 5'2 frame. In colllege, I got my act together and lost weight in a slow and healthy manner, getting down to a healthy 115 lbs. Since moving back home though, I have gained 20 of it back through bingeing and starving. I know how you feel to think not only that you have your weight in control, but your "problem," as well. And then it backfires on you. Something happens that causes you to revert back to your old manner of coping. All I can say is I am going through it, too. For what it's worth, though it is hard for me to accept, I recommend not dieting. Dieting leads to bingeing. Some people can diet and not develop a problem with overcompensating, but you and I are clearly not those type of people. I recommend giving up the struggle, eating healthy foods and exercising a noraml amount (nothing excessive.) I have been told by professionals this will allow your body to find it's healthy set point and eliminate bingeing. The hardest part is giving up dieting, which if you think about it, is actually trapping you. Good luck!
Krissy23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 10:12 AM   #4  

I too have BTDT. I'm loving OA. My formula till now has been to lose a little, or lose a big chunk, and gain it back plus 10 pounds. I was up to 274 after the birth of my DD. Last year I lost 35 pounds and kept it off, and came to OA looking for help with a diet. My aunt had lost alot of weight on it, and I wanted a sponsor to help me follow it. I quickly found that OA is so much more than that, and I'm grateful. I really think this is it for me, (but I always think that *smile*) but I do believe it's not just a cheesy slogan, it really does work if you work it.
CackyDoodle is offline   Reply With Quote