Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 03-22-2005, 01:04 PM   #1  
Never surrender

S/C/G: 251 current/237 minigoal/180

Height: 5' 9"

Default gym Q from large sized gal starting out

I'm about to join the local Y and was wondering if people wouldn't mind sharing the routines they started out with.

I've been exercising at home, with calesthenics, marching in place, walking and free weights, but it's time I shook up my routine and added to it.

There are a ton of machines, ellipticals, treadmills, resistance. So, I'm trying to get a starting routine in my head before I go (April 1).

Any suggestions appreciated.
dragonwoman64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 06:52 PM   #2  

Does the Y have any personal trainers on staff who can get you started? That would be the best way to go -- they can set up a basic routine for you based on your goals and current fitness, show you proper form, how to use the machines, etc. Even if you had to pay a fee, it would really be worth it.

If that's not an option, Kathy Smith has a book called Lift Weights to Lose Weight that has a simple routine using both gym machines and free weights. It also explains a lot about general fitness & weight loss with strength training.

You could also go to www.stumptuous.com/weights.html -- Krista has a lot of routines outlined, including some good beginner routines.
funniegrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 12:17 PM   #3  
Never surrender

Thanks. I'll check those out. The gym does have personnel to help with the machines and the membership includes one free session with a personal trainer. They have fees for more sessions, but I thought I'd see how it goes on my own first before I decided to do that. My bf is coming with me for a few times to help out too. I don't know much about gyms and thought it would be a good idea to learn a little before I go.
Old 03-24-2005, 11:21 AM   #4  

Height: 5'4"

Hi Marge! Since you're going to talk to a personal trainer you probably don't need my "advice" but I just wanted to say that my all-time favorite machine is the elliptical! Low impact, high sweat!

However, I go through periods where I work out at home to videos, then get bored and go to the gym a lot to use the elliptical. Every time I return to the gym the elliptical just kicks my butt. It's so hard. But for some reason, it gets much much easier within a few sessions (more than with other exercises I do, it seems). I've talked to others who have had the same experience. So if you try that and it's really hard at first, just hang in there because chances are it will get easier very quickly!
Amy8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 10:54 PM   #5  
Work-Out Junkie

I agree that the elliptical is an awesome workout! Don't worry if you get on it, and can only make it 3 minutes. You really build up to it. I try to do the elliptical for 15 minutes and then get on the treadmill and walk fast for 30. Good luck!
MelissaDell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005, 11:38 AM   #6  
Jennifer

I'll second, third, fourth the elliptical. I started out with the bike because I was afraid of the elliptical, but once I tried it, I was hooked. My gym has two kinds -- the crossramp elliptical, which has an incline feature but no arm handles, and the cross-trainer, which allows you to move your arms and legs. I loike both, but I prefer the cross-trainer (except on lazy days!). These machines aren't hard on the knees like the treadmill, I sweat like crazy, and and they're so much more fun than the other machines. Some brands even have settings you can use to make things more fun -- for instance, ours has an "around the world" feature that replicates the terrain of different countries, adjusting the resistance for hills. Now I mostly do fast/slow intervals on the manual setting, but those settings really helped me out when I was getting into it!

Like everybody else has said, you gotta start slow... my first day I nearly died after 6 minutes. But yeah, you get it fast, and now I'm up to a very fast 60 minutes.

Yay elliptical!
teapotdynamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005, 10:14 PM   #7  
jammin on the bandwagon

S/C/G: 245/slider/145

Height: 5'6"

I would highly reccomend paying for at least 2 or 3 seasions w/a personal trainer to get you started if you can.

Other than that best advice I have is:

Mix it up. If you do the same thing every workout you will get bored.

Find stuff that is fun for you.
shhambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005, 09:26 AM   #8  
Never surrender

Thanks, everyone (thanks, Jen!)

The elliptical sounds good. This Friday is the day!