Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 03-20-2005, 09:33 PM   #1  
Mel

Default LWL #195 March 21 - 27

Starting the weekly thread a bit early, but tomorrow morning is going to be a race around here

Happy Last Full Week of March, LWL! I personally can't wait to see it gone. I had 1 great week at the beginning of the month, followed by two pretty mediocre weeks, and am planning an all-out personal blitz to April. I my first totally "on" day was Wednesday
Here are my goals:
Clean food 24/7 with more variety than I've been having lately
5 day lifting split
3 30-35 minute cardio sessions per week on whichever piece of equipment looks appealing on that day

For the last 2 weeks I've only managed the lifting, but those poor food choices have resulted in some pretty heavy lifting sessions My rib still really hurts and affects the intensity of cardio, but I've been doing sluggish cardio for nearly the last 3 months due to one injury or another, so that's nothing new

LOL, two weeks seems like a pretty short-term goal and I'm not going to race out and undo any progress I've made on April 1, but I need to start building a solid foundation of good days again

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 10:06 AM   #2  

hi LWL,

Started the week with a UBW, and 30 mins jog, 15 mins bike. But I did 10 mins of the jog OUTSIDE in the spring sun!!! Almost totally finished me off. I definitely have to get used to running on the pavement. It is like the stones directly bump up in my knees and hips.

Foodwise it has not been great, like you Mel I find it very difficult to keep to clean eats. I am full of resolution in the morning, and this is totally gone in the afternoon and evening. So the scales look like they are creeping UP.

Also, this is going to be a difficult week food wise, but wonderfull week fanmily wise as I have my 46th birthday on wednesday, and my son has his 13th birthday next tuesday, after easter. So we will celebrate...and I hope I will survive without gaining weight!.

Have a great day all,
rabbit
4rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 02:04 PM   #3  

I had kinda a rough week as well. Ending up gaining weight this week, so not to happy about that, though I accept that it isn't the end of the world (or the diet). And now I have a 1 lb. solid chocolate bunny in the freezer (minus the ears) and I swear I can hear that thing calling me. And I can't bring myself to throw it away, either. *sigh*

But I did stick with my lifting. It's getting easier to manage my new, higher weights. My knee hasn't been hurting that much lately, so I think that I must be doing things right this time.

Maybe my weight gain was all muscle! I can tell myself that, right?
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 02:05 PM   #4  

Hi LWL,

It must be the week for starting out fresh, I had such a terrible last week, I was eating all wrong and PT was sick on Monday and on Friday her sister was in an accident. Her pushing me was all I had going for me and her cancelling made me feel like a kid cutting school and I didn't do anything on my own except a couple of couple of walks during lunch. Saturday I brushed myself off and decided I was NOT going to do that again this week. I ate right on plan all weekend and have an appointment this evening with my PT. Hopefully I will be able to reschedule the appointments this week that were cancelled last week. If not I will just workout at the house. I like doing that best anyways, I hate having to travel to the gym even if it is a beautiful new facilitiy. My equipment is almost as nice and a lot more convenient.

It feels so good to have last week behind me and working on a brand knew week.

TTFN,
EofAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 04:03 PM   #5  
Jennifer

I think it must be in the water. I actually had a fantastic, on-plan week, but this weekend was just awful. I am getting into a bad pattern where I stay on plan all Friday and Saturday morning, am a little bad on Saturday night, then just LOSE IT on Sunday. Luckily this week it didn't undo all the work I'd done during the week (well, not all work -- I also had an intestinal flu that nudged the scale down a little, too... I don't recommend it as a WL strategy!), but it's been a slow month for me on the WL front!

The good news is that, even as the scale weight is coming off slowly, every day I'm seeing new muscles and bones! That "paper towel theory" is really right -- five pounds is making more of a difference than it once did. My husband has taken to poking and prodding me (in the most loving of ways, of course - ha!) to discover all the new mysteries of my smaller body. It's kind of exciting, I have to admit. It's a good incentive to keep LIFTING , now that I'm SURE there are some muscles under there. At this point, I'm liking my shoulders the best -- there's even a tiny bit of definition coming out!

I had my second (and last, for the time being) training session on Saturday and am trying to get over some of the soreness (I just posted about this, if anybody has any thoughts). Otherwise, just a very busy week at work. No fun!

Hang in there, everybody. I'm confident that a little dose of SPRING will help everyone out/scare everybody into visions of swimsuit weather.
teapotdynamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 05:10 PM   #6  

Hi - last week I was just kinda stuck. Talked to my trainer who wants my calories timed a bit differently and we'll see how it goes.

Just a mere 9 days until I go on vacation. Must lose 3 pounds by then.

Inside of my right thigh was killing last night. Some advil and an ice pack seem to make it feel better but I'm taking it easy tonight at the gym and at yoga.

I just hope everyone doesn't get scared back into the gym. Everything finally got back to normal. It drives me crazy when people don't know how to use the machines or treat the gym as a social hour and just stand there on the treadmill chatting. And did I mention the parking lot?

Maybe everyone will be outside getting fit and I can get some seirous work done in the gym.
pebbles396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 05:04 AM   #7  

hi LWL,

Dragging myself along this morning. I just do not seem to have any energy at all. Tomorrow is my birthday, maybe it is the dread of getting another year older and reflecting on what last year has brought me.

Still managed to do cardio, 10 mins row, 50 mins jog. My arms feel like lead, maybe the UBW I did yesterday ???

As so many posters seem to be a bit low this week, here is a word of encouragement to everyone:
JUST HANG ON !!!
IT'S ALL ABOUT SHOWING UP!!

have a great day,
rabbit
Old 03-22-2005, 12:04 PM   #8  

Hey everyone,
Since it's all about showing up I am showing up. Did Nia last night and got walking in. Probably won't do my hike since it's raining. Trying to catch up on sleep. Food has been 'dirty' because I didn't have stuff made up. Tonight I will cook a bit and get back on track. WTG everyone for sticking to it!

I had actually lost 2 pounds at Sunday's WI but I think that's delayed reaction from early last week when I didn't eat much. Next week I will probably have to deal with the weekend's results. Sigh.
LKTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 12:23 PM   #9  
Working My Way Back Down

Okay, I'm showing up, but that's it! I've been laid out flat by a nasty nasty head cold. I made it to get my hair cut and do grocery shopping on Sat and haven't left the house since. Heck, I've barely left the couch! It is getting better I think, but I still have a nasty cough and some shortness of breath. Needless to say there has been NO exercise happening. Only good thing is nothing tastes good either - been having lots of soup and Crystal Light. I ate some fruit last night which might as well have been the wax stuff your grandmother kept in a bowl on the table.

Glad to see others are doing well. I hope to be back at it by the end of the week. First though, I have to get well enough to go to work. . .
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 02:43 PM   #10  

Laura & Rabbit, I can relate to your "showing up" statements. Last night I only went to the gym because I had an appointment with a PT and I wasn’t about to miss it and I sat in the car "resting" and listening to an audio book with absolutely no energy until the very last minute. I worked my back and biceps and of course felt tons better after I worked out, funny how working so hard and really revitalize you.

Pat, I’m sorry to hear you are feeling ill. My DH had it as did my boss at work and I’ve been practically wearing a surgical mask around them trying to avoid getting over exposed. It is really nasty stuff. Take care.

I did go out during lunch and put in a 3.5 mile walk; I took my phone with me and called a girlfriend to visit with while I was walking (she lives in Vegas, she use to be my walking partner when we lived closer). I didn’t think to take my headset and by the time I got back my shirt was soaked in the crook of my arm where I had my elbow bent while yakking my head off. I just checked the temp, it’s up to 70 degrees out there, no wonder my shirt was getting wet.

TTFN,
EofAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 07:12 PM   #11  

Hello all, I am new around here well new again that is. I was around last year but unfortunately gave up the gym for awhile and got busy with the summer last year and then the next thing you know fall is here and Christmas and I was planning on coming back around but my mother in law passed away and we had to move in with my father in law to help out, so needless to say our lives got put on hold for awhile until things settled down. The good news is that I am back and ready to do the work again. I was however walking last summer and keeping active but just recently got back to the gym last week and loving it. I really truly missed it. What a high I got from my first workout. Anyway I am pleased to announce that I lost 2 pounds last week and been eating quite well. But came down with the flu this weekend so I have not returned yet but plan to do so tommorrow. Anyway I am glad to be back around and look forward to chatting with all you guys again. Over and out for now
new in town is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 10:16 PM   #12  
Mel

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 03:49 AM   #13  

hi all,

Laura and Pat: Thanks for showing up! I am glad to see we are all in this together. Pat, I hope you are getting well soon ! These colds must be the curse of spring, so many people seem to be under the water.

Hi also to Evangeline, Mel, Pookie and Jen. Pookie, you look marvellous in your new picture. Mel, you must be BUSY!.

The news from me today is that I am taking a day off!!!. NO cardio, NO weights, NO clean eats. It's my birthday, and I had a lovely sessionwith my family, got gifts in bed. Except for the biggest gift, which is a lawnchair. I actually had to get it myself at the shop, and I am looking forward to spending many hours on my new lawnchair enjoying the weather.

I'll be back on plan tomorrow.
Have a great day,
rabbit
Old 03-23-2005, 06:32 AM   #14  

Just a little fly-by post to say Happy Birthday Rabbit!! I love b-days and I will think of you today as you celebrate yours ... live it up, enjoy being you and all the progress you have made. BTW - you are "on plan" today, this is your plan. I hope your day rocks. Woo Woo!!
ellenuw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 07:47 AM   #15  
Ilene the Bean

Mel -- Too tired to talk ? That's ok, you made an appearance, so we know you're still alive!

Pookster -- Good for you in starting the weight routine... Be careful though you're gonna love the soreness so much that in no time you'll be lifting like the rest of us ....

RaBbit -- HAPPY BIRTHDAY!! Take it easy today !!

Jen -- Welcom back, Hope you feel better soon....

Yept girls it 's all about the showing up... Last week I DRAGGED myself to the gym, yawning and plain ole sluggish... the first half hour was bad but I ended up staying almost 2 hours because once the blood was circulating I felt great! I ALWAYS feel better after... I just have to remember this when I'm dragging myself around the gym the first half hour...

Food wise, I have one good day, one BAD day!! ARGH, so annoying... Today will be good because yesterday was BAD!!!Why do people bring chocolate bowl fulls to work to share????? Drive me nuts .... Ok nuf venting gotta go run! TTFN
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote