South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 03-15-2005, 07:41 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 307/187/130

Height: 5'4"

Default SBD prepackaged foods!

While at the grocery store today I came across a display which featured SBD products packaged under the south beach diet name! I picked up a box of meal replacement bars, snack bars, cereal, and a few of the frozen meals. Has anyone else tried them out? I was so excited to see these!
Old 03-15-2005, 08:12 PM   #2  
Zen-meister

Very interesting? Did you check the nutrition label? What are the carbs/fat/cals/protein counts?
Old 03-15-2005, 08:17 PM   #3  

Default Carbwell

I had purchased a package of CarbWell peanut butter bars a while back & it had a note on the package that they were changing their name to South Beach.

I don't remember all the specific nutritional info, but I do remember it had 3 g fat & 3 points on the Weight Watchers system.
Old 03-15-2005, 08:35 PM   #4  
Zen-meister

Ah, Carbwell. Check the nutrition info. Many times, it is similar (or sometimes even more) calories and carbs than their regular counterparts. Especially the salad dressing.
Old 03-15-2005, 08:40 PM   #5  

http://www.southbeachdiet.com/kraft/default.asp?GID=105
Old 03-15-2005, 08:41 PM   #6  

I guess prepackaged works for me because I don't have such a huge appetite anymore so one meal replacement bar would fill me up. Plus the frozen meals looked much more appetizing than the lean cuisine.
Old 03-16-2005, 12:03 AM   #7  
Amber

S/C/G: 180/165/130

I am anxious to try some of the stuff. I knew it was coming as i've read the emails, etc about all that stuff, but have yet to see any of it. Lemme know what ya think??
Old 03-16-2005, 09:06 AM   #8  
Trapped Skinny Person

I am a bit sceptical of these - I checked out the Chicken Caesar wraps - they have 10 grams of fat - they are 40% fat!!
Be careful how you read the nutritional info - it say 15% but that is of your DAILY intake.

The turkey & bacon wraps are even higher! 12 grams of fat! They are 44% fat!

To me these are high in fat - I would stay away from anything higher then 25% fat.

I also see the word "starch" a lot in the ingredients lists.

And one last comment - they seem really high in sodium as well - 1530mg for the turkey & bacon wrap - that's more then your recommended daily intake.

These convienence foods don't measure up to what I know SBD foods to be.

Sorry but I would pass on these. I can't believe that SBD allowed their name on these.

My 2 cents
Kim
Old 03-16-2005, 09:17 AM   #9  
Amber

S/C/G: 180/165/130

Thanks for the information. I will definitely have to check them out. I stay away from most things that are high in sodium anyway due to my hbp and i swell like you would'nt believe. LOL
Old 03-16-2005, 09:35 AM   #10  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Oh dear! I don't see how those meals can be called SBD. Did Dr. A sell out? I am sticking to my made from scratch healthy foods.
I did try a President's Choice Blue Menu chicken and veggies last week but was not impressed. Convenient? Yes but not that tasty and took 35 minutes to cook in the conventional oven. I did two at once because I wanted to have lunch with Harry.
Old 03-16-2005, 10:12 AM   #11  

I've been browsing Kraft's website looking at the ingredients and nutritional information. I don't know that I see any of the products that I would consider acceptable without the South Beach name so I don't know how I can accept them just because they have the name on them. I'm seeing products with real bacon, real pepperoni, lots of additives. The cereals seem like they might be the closest to okay but they are kind of low in fiber and high in sugar.

Take a look at the ingredients on the Whole Grain Crunch cereal:
Ingredients: WHOLE GRAIN WHEAT, ALMONDS, WHEAT BRAN, SUGAR, SOY GRITS, SUNFLOWER OIL, SALT, CORN SYRUP, WHEAT FLOUR, MALTED BARLEY FLOUR, CORN FLOUR, RICE FLOUR, SOY PROTEIN ISOLATE, FRUCTOSE, OAT FIBER, FRUCTOSE, ARTIFICIAL AND NATURAL FLAVOR, SUCRALOSE (SWEETENER), CARAMEL COLOR, ANNATTO EXTRACT (COLOR), BHT ADDED TO PACKAGING MATERIAL TO PRESERVE PRODUCT FRESHNESS. VITAMIN AND MINERALS: NIACINAMIDE, REDUCED IRON, ZINC OXIDE (SOURCE OF ZINC), VITAMIN B6, VITAMIN A PALMITATE, RIBOFLAVIN (VITAMIN B2), THIAMINE MONONITRATE (VITAMIN B1), FOLIC ACID, VITAMIN B12, VITAMIN D.

With 4 grams of fiber and 4 of sugar, I wouldn't eat it.

The toasted wheat with cinnamon cereal is better. Ingredients: WHOLE GRAIN WHEAT, FRUCTOSE, WHEAT BRAN, CINNAMON, NATURAL FLAVOR, SUCRALOSE (SWEETENER), BHT ADDED TO PACKAGING MATERIAL TO PRESERVE PRODUCT FRESHNESS.

But I still see Fructose as the number two ingredient but with 8 grams of fiber and three of sugar it is a definite improvement over the other cereal. I think I will be sticking with my Kashi and Uncle Sam's.
Old 03-17-2005, 09:41 AM   #12  

I'm sticking with fresh, whole foods. I understand the convenience issues for busy Sb'rs but I wish the ingredients lists were healthier.
Old 03-17-2005, 09:43 AM   #13  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Me too, AZ! I can see it for once in a while but.......scary!
Old 03-17-2005, 12:59 PM   #14  
Bunnababy

S/C/G: 294/261/150

I too felt like these are foods that I would resist if they didn't have the SBD emblem on them. I am feeling a little betrayed by Dr. A and his staff. They told us to stay away from certain foods and now they are pushing them. I guess they are searching for the
Old 03-17-2005, 04:43 PM   #15  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Amen, Bunna! It's almost like Dr. A is saying that you have to sell out in order to eat SBD on the go, which we know isn't true!!!

Why not make cereals with no sugar or with splenda? The wraps don't need that much fat, and why use regular bacon when turkey bacon is available? Very wierd. These are available in my market yet...I'm not sure that's a bad thing!

I love eating the way I do. It'll be nice to have a pizza (if they have them without sugar) for every so often when things get hectic, but I can just as easily keep getting the organic ones I buy now.
Closed Thread