Old 03-13-2005, 01:59 PM   #1  

Question Is there any support groups for single moms?

Hello I am new to 3FC's and was looking to find a support group for people who are trying to lose weight and have also found themselves in the unfortunate position of now being a single parent. For me this sitution is affecting everything in my life and unfortunately my diet and exercise plan too. Which is why I am looking for this kind of support group.

Any suggestions for a group would be appreciated ,I tried looking for one but so far have been unsuccessful. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by njgal; 03-14-2005 at 09:28 AM.
njgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 09:29 AM   #2  

bump
njgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 01:18 AM   #3  

Default Single Mom Support

Hi NJ Gal,

I totally agree with you that there is not much support for single mothers. I just went through the bio section and it was married, married, married. Usually I feel pretty good about how I am coping but that really made me feel bad.

I am really trying to lose weight because now that I am 41 I look a lot older than I am. A few people have asked me if my daughter is my granddaughter and that really brought the weight issue to a head for me. I know I will look much younger without this double chin.

I was hoping to find some friends and some support here in this forum, but I feel like except for being fat, I don't have much in common with the other ladies here. It is the same way in my neighborhood and at work. I am surrounded by couples.

I have been a single mother of a little girl for almost 7 years now (she is 8) with no interest in dating. I live in Kansas, but I come from Boston and have no family here. We get no support from her father, in fact we have no contact. Nobody seems to understand how difficult it can be to go it alone. When I have time to stop and think about it, the responsibility is really crushing and there is not really anyone to turn to for help or get your back.

I understand what you said about your situation being unfortunate, and it can be very hard, especially if you have just suffered through a divorce or are having trouble with your ex. And it is so hard for the kids.

Still...with that said I don't think I would have it any other way. I have had too many bad relationships and I don't want my daughter to suffer through something like that. I am fortunate that I have a decent career an can support us well. I love spending time with her and we have a good, close relationship, and a special one, I think, because of our situation.

Take it one day at a time, love your kids and the special times you have to spend with them, and keep looking for support. I would be really happy to make a new friend and would be happy to talk with you if you want to tell me more about yourself.

I am also trying to get down to 125, so maybe we can buddy up and help each other lose weight too.

Sally
InvisibleGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 08:07 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 264/190/150

Height: 5'8"

Hi ladies, I am a single mom too. Sounds like its an AA group or something, Hello my name is Jennie and I'm a single mom. My son is 4 yrs old. I got prego when I was in college and after graduation, moved back home and have never looked back. His father did not want to be involved so from day one, it was all me. I knew this going in to it so I have never felt unfortunate, just lucky to be a mom. But I know how emotions can really pay a tole on your health and well being.
The hardest thing I find about being a single mom and losing weight is when do I find time to excersise. Serious excersise, I can go on walks and what not with my son to be active but when I want to really work out I have to ask some one to watch him. I've been sneakingout from work at luch time and gong to the gym which is fine as long as I dont' get caught taking 1 1/2 hour lunches!
I find my whole motivation for living is because I am a mom. I work hard to get a head to make a better life for us, I also want to work hard to lose weight so I will be around and be healthy.
Things can be hard being a single parent and in the ideal world, we would all have loving supportive, healthy relation ships but just think about all the awful drama that some people put up with just to not be single. A friend of mine stays with her abusive babys father just so that he is in their life. I would much rather be on my own than getting abused. We just have to find the strength inside ourselves to be the best we can be.
Some times I get so wrapped up in the fact that I am sole provider that I forget, I need to take care of my self. So while I feel guilty asking a friend to pick my son up so I can have me time at the gym, it really is the best for both of us. If i am happy and healthy, it will rub off on him.
Good luck, and we all can do it!
jennie934 is offline   Reply With Quote