PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 03-11-2005, 01:02 PM   #1  
Krister

Smile Hi everybody

Hi there everybody, I am new here and thrilled to have found you. I am a fellow PCOS woman and lately it's become clear to me that I have to pay more attention to my PCOS if I want to get to my goals. I used to think it was just an issue for my fertility woes but I now believe it should be a life issue!

I am 40, have a wonderful 2-year old son and have been married 12 years. I did not start gaining weight until my mid-twenties, and then it just piled on. And has stayed.

I just started Weight Watchers again, I have had good success in the past but always slide back to my starting weight. (I should say, I have gone from being really fat to medium fat, but never gone all the way back down to a slinky weight!)

What motivated me to seek you guys out, and hopefully I will have something positive to add to your community, is that after I had my son, I could not lose weight the way I had before. I literally did not lose a pound by just cutting calories. I am now trying to mix low-carb and insulin-resistant tips from my doctor and nutrionist with the WW program. I am also taking Glucophage. I am boldly attempting to cut sugar from my diet: I started writing down what I did NOT eat as well as what I did in my journal! I already feel more perky, I have to admit, the six small meals thing seems to be helping with my energy levels. And I am STUBBORN. If this does not work, at least I will have given it my best shot. But I realized, I am not yet ready to lay down my size 24 pants in defeat. So wish me luck and I hope to be talking to you in the future!

PS I put my post name as Krister because my sister calls me her Krister Cyster, for the PCOS cysts... I'm still not sure if that's nice or not!
Krister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 12:53 PM   #2  

Hi Krister,

I just wanted to say hi and that I enjoyed your post - I like your positive attitude. I pop in here once in awhile - then when I fall off the wagon (diet wagon that is) I disappear for awhile only to resurface again.

I am 39 yrs old, was diagnosed about 10 years ago. DH and I have a wonderful 3 yr old who we adopted from China when she was 8 months old. After I stopped being concerned about the infertility, I seemed to ignore the fact that I have PCOS. Over the last or so, I have gone through these stages of realizing that I must deal with the other aspects of having PCOS. I have high blood pressure and elevated tryglcerides and lately I seem to be getting more hair in places that I didn't use to have a problem with. I was in Costco with my daughter a few months ago and she loudly announced "Mommy why do you have a moustache???" It was actually quite funny - humiliating but funny!

I'd be interesting in hearing what tips your nutritionist and doctor. I really think that carbs are key to dealing with weight issues in PCOS - I tend to agree with the plans that suggest choosing the right kind of carbs.

Anyhoo, I am having a really tough time getting started and I'm hoping that hearing some of your tips may get me going.

Take care and good luck,

Nancy
capernan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 07:55 PM   #3  
working off those pounds

S/C/G: 350+/ticker/150

Height: 5'5"

Hello all -

I've never tried to get pregnant, and i'm not really ready at this point in my life, but do ALL women with PCOS have fertility problems? I want to have children eventually, and I hope that I will be able to.
VermontChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 10:17 AM   #4  

Hi MissMeliss:

I don't think all women with PCOS have fertility problems, but I would guess most do. There are many symptoms of PCOS - some women show some symptoms and other show others. There is lots of info on line about PCOS, and maybe talk to your doctor too.

Nancy
capernan is offline   Reply With Quote