Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 03-10-2005, 12:30 PM   #1  

S/C/G: SW175/CW159/GW145

Default How much does it cost you to eat each week?

I am trying to figure out whether I am overspending on food each week. This goes for home meals and lunches, not eating out. I try to cook for the week, using fresh produce, buy no prepared meals, lots of casseroles, soups, and salads, and I end up spending about $40-$50. It seems so much for one person. What do you all average per person a week?

Susan
artmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 03:01 PM   #2  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I once calculated it and it came out to 300-400 dollars for me per month when I'm eating as I should and not eating out. I've been trying to reduce that a little but still that is pretty good.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 04:40 PM   #3  
Mel

I can't calculate it precisely because I have a son and husband for whom I also shop and cook, but that sounds like at least what I think I spend on my own food. Fresh produce, lean meats, chicken and turkey breast, fresh fish, cottage cheese and lots and lots of eggs and oatmeal are my staples.

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 01:55 AM   #4  
Mens sana in corpore sano

S/C/G: 165/121/120ish

Height: 5'2 (157 cm)

Hard to say for me as well, as I shop for two (boyfriend and I), and when it comes to myself, it can depend a lot on what I already have in store at home (frozen veggies notably). If buying everything "fresh" though, I'd probably also hit the 40-50/weekly for myself. I don't think it's terribly bad a cost, though; honestly, I had more expenses when I was buying frozen pizzas, bagels for breakfast and other already-prepared foods every week.

Now to convince the BF that vegetables aren't that bad and that he should eat some more too, but that's another matter
Kery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 10:05 AM   #5  

I think a lot depends on where you live and food prices in the area, but I don't think that is at all bad for one person. I can't imagine eating properly for less. Something I read once in one of my favorite weight loss type books, was that fresh veggies might cost a bit, but when we were "eating fat" how many times did we buy a cake or some other goodie that cost as much? I've never forgotten that, and it comes to mind when asparagus or red peppers or some other veggie seems an extravagance. Compare the price to fast food.

Besides, we're worth it.

Dawna
Dawnajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 11:36 AM   #6  
Mens sana in corpore sano

S/C/G: 165/121/120ish

Height: 5'2 (157 cm)

Dawnajoy, that's an interesting thing, because even though veggies are a bit more expensive, I found out in the past two months that if you consider your food globally, it doesn't cost more - that is, if I don't go on buying cakes, cookies, and other fattening foods on top of it. In fact, it can even cost less. I was often getting around 75-90 euros of food (that must be around 100-135 $ nowadays) previously, because my cart was filled with frozen pizzas, packs of bagels, chocolate, etc. Now I'm more around 50-60 euros, with fruits, veggies, fresh meat/fish and cereals/pasta, and the only bagels and chocolate in this are the ones for my boyfriend's breakfast (and not in big quantity).

So more expensive... in a way only. Depends on how one was spending the food money before, I guess
Kery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 11:41 PM   #7  
mox

I live in Chicago where groceries are actually pretty expensive, particularly fresh fruits and veggies. (But going out is out-of-control -- I easily drop between $25-$40 for a "casual" dinner with friends that includes maybe 1 glass of wine!) I'm single and spend between $50-$60/week on groceries, but my week usually includes at least 4-5 planned meals out (lunch meetings, dates, etc.) Does this help?
mox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 12:29 AM   #8  
Working My Way Back Down

I feed two of us. We grow a veggie garden, so I don't buy all my veggies, and we eat mostly chicken and fish (caught, not purchased). I do buy shrimp and beef when it's on sale. But I'd say I spend about $500 per month, including paper products and cleaning supplies (but excluding cat food/litter which I get at a feed store ). I think you're pretty much in line. When I lived in Seattle and could get much nicer produce my grocery bills were higher - esp as I didn't have a garden, and I tended to shop at Whole Foods and Trader Joe's.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 08:03 AM   #9  

Hi,
I usually spend about 120 euro per week on grocery shopping, which is all food items for a family 2 adults and 2 kids ( 9 y and 12 y). That would be about 160 dollars, for the equivalent of about 3 adults. Basically all meals at home or packed lunches. So I think your cost of 40 - 50 $ is rather low even !
rabbit
4rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 01:56 PM   #10  

We spend about $150 per week on two of us for groceries. Then we have 1 night out that as mox mentioned easily runs $120-$150.
pebbles396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 03:23 PM   #11  
Uber-Moderator!!

I'm afraid to figure it out.

I actually *do* 'eat out' fairly often (89% of that time, though "eating out" = making a salad at the salad bar in the produce section of my market @ $6.99/lb). BUT I do have my own rules for saving $$ at the grocery store...

* Buy fruits and veggies in season when they're CHEAP (right now strawberries are getting cheap around here, yum!). Better yet if you have a local farmer's market check it out because often prices are lower than at the stores.

* When something's on sale that you can freeze/store, I stock up BIG TIME - example - boneless skinless chicken breasts are on sale every so often for $1.99/lb (sometimes even lower but not often). I buy 'em (they come in the big bonus trays), divvy them up in GladWare or Ziploc freezer bags, and toss 'em in the freezer. Same with steak.

*I'm not a big fan of frozen vegs, but they're okay to use in soups and that sort of thing, Safeway has buy one get one free on those a lot, so I stock up.
MrsJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 04:12 PM   #12  
Working My Way Back Down

Oh Karen, I'm jealous! There's almost never a "bargain" on produce here, though I do grow my own strawberries and raspberries so I get to have them in the summer. Otherwise, I just suck it up and buy the best looking stuff. And I too buy chicken breasts on sale - though our sale price is more likely $2.99/lb. Plus my local supermarket has an area of the meat section where they put the individual marked down things, and I get some good buys there. I love my freezer! I buy bread on sale and chuck in in there (DH is a sandwich for lunch kinda guy). Also we grow some of our own veggies, and they get frozen. Ditto the fish we catch or get from folks who catch too much.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005, 01:46 PM   #13  

Default Buying food

Some things are bargains for me (frozen berries, which I use on waffles, in oatmeal, etc.)--I don't want to buy fresh imported ones because of all the pesticides. I buy organic plain ff yogurt--it's about 2-2.50 for 32 oz.

More expensive: flavored seltzer (we all love it--much healthier than soda--no aspartame or sucralose), mini V-8 cans, boxed raisins, mini applesauces, pre-chopped/pre-shredded veg., healthy frozen items from Trader Joe's (for quick dinners or I have ready at work for days I don't bring my lunch). A lot of the boxed/portable food that I buy is for my kids to pack reasonably healthy lunches.
Elanajel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 03:49 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 238/157/138

Height: 5'4

I spend an average of $40 a week for myself and eat out about 5 times a week for either lunch or dinner. It's the eating out that kills me. Sounds like you're not doing bad at all.
flxthct107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005, 10:56 AM   #15  
one fat penguin.

I think it all depends on where you live and what you buy.
I live in Naples,fl. Things arent cheap here. But I manage to spend about 120-150 a week for a family of 5. We all eat the same stuff. I might buy some snacks once in a while for the kids ( 3 of them).

When we have chicken that goes on sale ( and on sale down here means it is 2.99 a pound) I buy a lot of it. Right now I have enough chicken breasts in my freezer to start a KFC. LOL.

The same thing for beef and fish.

Usually the only things I have to buy each week are a few meats if I want something different, fresh fruits and veggies, milk, etc. I buy frozen fruits. A lot of the time thay have them at 2 for 5.00.

It is cheaper to buy crap food. But i find when i do it seems to not last as long.

I just started shopping at Super Walmart and I have started saving money. They have a lot of good deals.

Shonda
penguinbella is offline   Reply With Quote