Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 03-10-2005, 09:12 AM   #1  

Unhappy hemroids!

I could just die! I've been constipated for a while now and my toosh has been a little sore but I ignored it thinking it was just from harder poohs, but last night I realized it's hemroids! AAAAHHHH! Help! I'm only 30 and I'm scared! I just read some stuff online that says once you have them, you have them for life, and it sounds like it can get really, really painful if you don't follow a particular diet, even for one day! Yikes! I don't want them to get worse. I'm going to try see my doc today to see what to do - I have NO idea. I don't think anyone in my immediate family has ever had them, cause they would tell me what it involved...oiy, I don't know what to think. Does anyone have ANY advice? Just don't know what to trust when I read stuff online, but know I can trust the advice in this group. Thanks guys.
rochelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 09:25 AM   #2  

It is so funny you should post this - I just saw my doctor earlier this week about the same thing. You can have them removed, either frozen off or by band (a tiny band is wrapped tightly around the base blocking the blood flow until it finally just falls off). I don't think it is a very invasive procedure but I don't think it is often the first course of action either. I think it has to be pretty big and pretty awful not to just treat it topically.

I do think that once you have one you are prone to them so diet does play an important roll in controlling constipation which can have a direct affect on reoccurence.

Your treatment will depend on the type that you have - whether it has formed on the outside of the anus (this are usually the more painful type) or if it has formed on the inside and falls out a little if you strain too much (this is what I have - blech!). In my case I was prescribed a hydrocortizone foam that numbs the area as well as works to reduce swelling. I use it twice a day and have had impressive results. The name of the medicine is Proctofoam HC, but again, what you are prescribed will be based on the type you have developed.

The little buggers are a pain in the arse, that is for sure! LOL.
lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 09:58 AM   #3  

Thanks for the reply. Mine is one that's outside. I had a bath last night and thought I'd check it out. It's definitly a vein b/c of it's color (blueish). That's what freaked me out the most and pretty much confirms its hemroids. I'm so going to do what I have to diet wise to stay on top of it. Hopefully adding something like sf metamucil once a day will help. I've already been on south beach for about a month and a half and figure I'm on the right track with lots of 'roughage', water, and complex carbs...just need more fibre somehow. Thanks again!
Old 03-11-2005, 08:19 PM   #4  
One day at a time

Well I must say I get those pains a lot! I know a lot of mine is due to not getting enough fiber and yes if you have hard bm's you to will get them back. Once you have them you are prone to getting them again. My advice since I do have this problem is to up your intake in fiber. You can start taking a stool softner to help as well. Take a sitz bath to relieve the itching and pain. I am 32 yrs old and did not have any problems until I had an accident which laid me up in bed for awhile. The longer you go without having a bm the more likely you will get hemroids.
tkay90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 09:51 AM   #5  

Hi Tina, went to my doc, and yep, it's what I thought. She gave me an rx for stool softener and a suppository, told me to take metamucil once/day and told me about epsom salts. I've been taking the metamucil daily and find a bit of a difference, but still find I'm not going once a day like I used to. I need to find a good bran muffin recipe that's SBD friendly (low fat, sweetener instead of sugar).
Feeling much better already though. Thanks for the advice, it's good to hear practical comments.