South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 03-09-2005, 02:22 PM   #1  

Question Tie my hands up please! I can't stop snacking!!

Help Help Help!
I stay sooo hungry. I have been on phase 2 for a week. I eat my snacks as directed and still want more. I am not hungry after breakfast in the AM and I normally have to remind/force myself to eat an AM snack. But the afternoon is a different story. After lunch, I crave something more. I ALWAYS have my afternoon snack. Then, after dinner is when it really goes down hill.

Last night, I had a whole wheat lowcarb wrap with LF cheese, pepperoni, and homemade (sugar free)marinara. Then, I had a little FF/SF chocolate pudding with coolwhip free and a strawberry. Then, as I was preparing all my produce for the week after I went to the store, I started munching on grapes while in the kitchen. Then, I had a handful of walnuts. Then, I had a bowl of cereal. A few slices of pepperoni to finish it off ...oh yeah and there was that piece of LF cheese. See what I mean??? Once the afternoon comes, I can't stop.

Is there a snack that would fill me up and not ruin my diet???

I have ALWAYS been a snacker and need your advice!

Please help me! I have a pageant in 5 weeks and I have already had my measurements taken for my alterations. I can not afford (in more ways than one) to gain any of my weight!!!!

Please help!
Old 03-09-2005, 02:34 PM   #2  
Ready to Change

S/C/G: 170/160/125

Height: 5 ft

What if you filled a bowl or a baggie and only snacked on veggies. Just a thought.
Old 03-09-2005, 02:34 PM   #3  

If that wrap was your dinner, I don't see 2 cups of vegetables. I find that if I eat my vegetables I am less likely to want to snack later. Vegetables are a snack that you can eat as much as you want (although if you dip them in something you would need to limit that). Also if you cook them in oil you would need to make sure you don't consume too much oil. A little olive or canola oil is heathly though.
Old 03-09-2005, 02:52 PM   #4  

Height: 5'-2"

Are you drinking enough water? Often when we're dehydrated, we get our signals crossed, and think we're hungry.
Old 03-09-2005, 03:09 PM   #5  
beachbum

Hi Mrs. Charleston: I agree with Ellis You might be dehydrated, drink some more water.. Another idea is to keep your hands busy by reading a book or if you knit start a project,and once your involved into something your less likely to think of food.. If you don't get overwhelmed with snacks may be you can divide them in a snack size zip loc bag and only eat one.
Hope that helps Hugs BB
Old 03-09-2005, 03:24 PM   #6  
buzz buzz buzzin along

Talking

Silly I know but maybe you should brush your teeth after your last snack. I mean literally put your bowl in the sink and head to the bathroom. That might deter you from snacking! (it does me!)

I also would make sure your pumping the water!!!
Old 03-09-2005, 03:34 PM   #7  

Those are all very helpful! Thank you so much! Drinking water, more veggies, and smaller baggies will definitely help! I have a thing about knowing if something is in my desk drawer, I will eat it until it is gone!

Thank you so much for all of your help! Joining SB and 3FC are two great things that I have done! Thanks again!
Old 03-09-2005, 04:32 PM   #8  
Working for the Cruise!

My only trick at work is a filling beverage, or a beverage that doesn't make me want anything more. I put a bit of wheat germ in a yogurt smoothie to take to work, or have a skinny latte. I never want food after coffee.

The only other things I could say these ladies already have said. Only keep limited snacks at work. I bring a little something everyday. Otherwise I grab veggies to have here. Also, keep water on hand. At home, stay busy!
Old 03-09-2005, 04:38 PM   #9  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Mrs. Charleston, do you eat emotionally? If you snack because you are bored or because you are stressed, you might need to do some work psychologically to help you...doing things like making veggies easy to grab and everything else hard will help for a while, but if you are eating emotinally, you will eventually end up snacking again.

Think about journaling...there are journals here on 3FC that others can respond to, which can be very encouraging and supportive. You may also find that working with a therapist or with a group like OA (www.oa.org) may also help.

In the meantime, these are all good tips, and you definitely need to up your veggie intake!!! Also, Dr. Agatston says over and over that if you are craving in Phase 2, you may have added things back too quickly. Try just having the wrap and no other starches or fruits for a week. See how you do. Then try adding one piece of fruit a day. Etc. If you are still craving, try Phase 1 for a week and then start again with only one starch or only one piece of fruit for a week until you figure out what works for you. One of the things that is awesome about SBD is the lack of cravings!
Old 03-09-2005, 11:17 PM   #10  

I have been on it for two weeks and just joined the forum. I feel the same way, I cannot stop eating. The problem is that I've cheated and now I have to start over. One thing is for sure. I have PMS. This is always a problem for me so I think I will start when this is over. Do you think this may be the case with you as well?

Isabel

Old 03-10-2005, 07:02 AM   #11  

Height: 5'-2"

Isabel, welcome to the Beach! When you're ready, come and join us on the other threads!
Old 03-10-2005, 01:02 PM   #12  

Default Broccoli

I've always found that Broccoli works great at filling me up. Look to eat more high-fiber veggies with your dinner. I also snack like that on occassion. Usually I'll have the pudding, then snack on pistachios afterwards.

It's tough, but keep sticking to it. It will still require discipline, even though you aren't 'starving' yourself.
Old 03-10-2005, 01:39 PM   #13  
Zen-meister

Try the cheese crisps recipe in the Snacks-Phase 1 forum. I found that I missed the "crunch" of chips and stuff and this satisfied that.
Old 03-14-2005, 11:14 AM   #14  

These posts have been very helpful. I have been drinking one of the ricotta cocoa milkshakes (listed in SB recipes page) as my snack and it fills me up a lot!!! I have also been eating more veggies, especially broccoli. That is really helping.

And for the question from beachgal, yes I am an emotional eater. I am doing better on this diet than I ever have on any other diet. I think that it is b/c I am more satisfied than I was on WW. I also eat when I am bored. I love to cook, so sometimes when I feel like I have nothing to do, I will end up in the kitchen.

So, I am going to start journaling now too. Thanks for the link!

I love cooking for others, it makes me feel good. Then, I love to eat, which makes me feel good.

However, I can tell when I have eaten too much or eaten something I shouldn't have now. It makes me almost nauseaus or dizzy. I think that is so weird. I guess b/c I have not been eating sugar and then when I eat something with it in it, my body goes hay-wire!

Yesterday, I bought my mom a box of Russell Stover Chocolates for her birthday. She offered me one and I declined. Then, later, I decided that just one wouldn't hurt me. I was wrong. I ate ONE Raspberry Creme and I felt really funny. I felt like a combination of drunk and sick. It was not fun. Finally, after I had a salad and spaghetti squash with marinara for dinner, I felt better. Now, I realize how sugar affects my body. I don't think I will even think of Russell Stover candy for a while.
Old 03-16-2005, 02:57 PM   #15  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrscharleston

However, I can tell when I have eaten too much or eaten something I shouldn't have now. It makes me almost nauseaus or dizzy. I think that is so weird. I guess b/c I have not been eating sugar and then when I eat something with it in it, my body goes hay-wire! ...I ate ONE Raspberry Creme and I felt really funny. I felt like a combination of drunk and sick. It was not fun. Finally, after I had a salad and spaghetti squash with marinara for dinner, I felt better. Now, I realize how sugar affects my body. I don't think I will even think of Russell Stover candy for a while.
EXACTLY!!!

That's exactly how I feel when I eat sugar now. I recognize it for the "high" that it is. Sugar was definitely my drug of choice! So glad that you've figured it out! And I'm glad that God gave us a bad reaction when we eat things that hurt us.
Closed Thread