Closed Thread

Old 03-04-2005, 03:32 PM   #1  

Default I finally found nf cottage cheese, now what?

what shall I make with it? What do you do with it? Ideas please. I have never seen it in Canada before.
Ta
Old 03-04-2005, 04:09 PM   #2  
Southside White Sox Fan

Kally, here are a couple of recipes for you. You said that you wanted to do more vegetarian, didn't you? The first one comes from Barbos Diet Kitchen.

Mushroom and Spinach Lasagna
From Better Homes and Gardens

Healthy begins with a capital "H" in this low-fat, low-calorie pasta dish. This unusual lasagna is layered with spinach and mushrooms and topped with a delicious Tomato and Roasted-Pepper Sauce -- a great way to fill your tummy without adding on the pounds.

Ingredients

3 large onions (1-3/4 lbs.)
1 pound fresh spinach, trimmed and rinsed (12 cups)
2 - tomatoes, seeded and diced (2 cups)
6 ounces mushrooms, chopped (2 cups)
4 cloves garlic, sliced thin
1 cup nonfat cottage cheese
1/2 cup (2 oz.) shredded nonfat mozzarella cheese
1/4 cup julienned fresh basil
1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- - Salt
- - Freshly ground black pepper
6 - dried lasagne noodles, cooked according to package directions {whole wheat noodles on CORE}
- - Tomato and Roasted-Pepper Sauce (see recipe below)

Preparation
1 Heat oven to 450 degree F. Place onions in 13x9x2-inch nonstick baking pan and roast 55 to 60 minutes or until tender. Cool. Peel and chop.
2 Reduce oven temperature to 350 degree F. Cook spinach in skillet with the water clinging to its leaves over medium-high heat until wilted. Drain in colander, pressing to remove excess moisture. Chop coarsely.
3 Combine roasted onions, tomatoes, mushrooms, and garlic in large nonstick skillet; cook, stirring frequently, over medium-high heat until liquid is evaporated, 15 minutes. Cool. Stir in cottage cheese, mozzarella, basil, parsley, salt, and pepper to taste.
4 Arrange 2 noodles in 8-inch square glass baking dish. Layer with half the spinach, then half the tomato mixture, another 2 noodles, remaining spinach and tomato mixtures and remaining noodles. Cover and bake 30 to 35 minutes or until hot in center (or microwave on 100 percent power (High) 7 minutes). Serve with Tomato and Roasted-Pepper Sauce. Makes 6 servings.
5 Tomato and Roasted-Pepper Sauce:: Heat oven to 450 degree F. Place 1 large onion (about 8 to 10 oz.) and 1 head garlic in 8-inch square nonstick baking pan and roast 25 to 35 minutes or until garlic is tender. Remove garlic; roast onion 30 minutes more. Cool. Meanwhile, roast 2 red bell peppers directly on gas or electric burner over medium-high heat, turning until charred all over. Transfer to bowl, cover and steam just until cool enough to handle. Peel, seed, and chop bell peppers. When onion is cool enough to handle, peel and chop. Squeeze 2 garlic cloves from head and chop (reserve remaining garlic for another use). Combine roasted onion; garlic; bell peppers; 2 large tomatoes (1 lb.), seeded and chopped; 1/2 cup vegetable broth; 2 tablespoons julienned fresh basil; 1/2 teaspoon balsamic vinegar and 1/8 teaspoon red pepper sauce in food processor. Process until smooth. Season with salt and black pepper. Makes 2-1/2 cups.

Nutritional Analysis
Per Serving
Calories 245
Total Fat 3 g

My Caramel Apple Delight can use FF cottage cheese or FF ricotta. I'm pretty sure that is already on our site. There is also a SBD mock danish that I keep meaning to look for to see if it is Core. If you are interested, I'll try to find it.
Old 03-04-2005, 04:31 PM   #3  

Height: 5'7"

Maybe you can find something to do with your dried shiitake mushrooms and the FF cottage cheese, like layering it with spaghetti sauce and baking?
Old 03-04-2005, 09:16 PM   #4  
Card Carrying Princess

S/C/G: 225/197/150

My favorite is kinda of a veggie salad thing: I mix nf cottage cheese, add some chopped shallots, radishes, little chunks of tomatoes and cucumber...green peppers if you like those - add a dollop of ff sour cream, salt pepper..and stir! Really yummy and you can get lots of veggies in!

Bad news for me is I was always used to eating this with a couple of slices of toast on the side - so if I need those I do have to count the points (usually have a coffee or tea on the side).

Now I"m hungry.....

Frouf
Old 03-05-2005, 07:40 AM   #5  
Southside White Sox Fan

Hmmmmm.....I used to love cottage cheese with wheat thins. I guess I could eat a 2 point bag.
Closed Thread