Closed Thread

Old 05-18-2001, 07:56 PM   #1  
Net browser

Thumbs down

Hi Everybody

We have a beautiful day today, sunshine and around 77 degrees.
I had an early hair appt, and then went for lunch with my DIL's Mother (who is also my friend). After we got back from lunch we came back here and just relaxed and chatted away for a couple of hours.
Peggy good for you for taking part in the MS walk, and good for your 73 yr old sister dancing. What "kind" of dancing do the grannies do?
Geri you never know, maybe when DH retires we will end up in Texas for part of the year, (the part when we have snow right up to our butts here at home) LOL . I think I told you we did visit relatives twice in "Senior Parks" near Brownsville, Tx. We loved it. I love going anywhere warm when it's cold here. We really have not decided where we will spend our winters. I would love to spend my winters in Maui, but it's very expensive there anyway, and the way our Canadian dollar is, I don't think so. Remember when I told you we went to the Dance Recital (for the kid's my DIL teaches dancing too)...well a good friend of mine has two granddaughters in that same school. Her and her husband, two of her sons and one DIL went to that same dance recital and her husband bought 5 bottles of "water" for them during the intermission. It cost him $35.00. YIKES! DH says I spend a lot of money, but sometimes....even I think the prices are just stupid. (Anyway, there were water fountains in the lobby)
Hi there Lily where do "they" find these names, Skinny Cows, Big Daddy...what have you got planned for the weekend? We Canadian's have a long weekend, Monday being Victoria Day. DH and I plan to get the rest of the yard work done and maybe we will go to the horse races sometime over the weekend if it's not raining.
Have a nice evening everybody, and I will "talk" to you tomorrow.
Well Trudy just left this morning and I miss her already.

Last edited by slavika; 05-18-2001 at 07:58 PM.
Old 05-18-2001, 09:45 PM   #2  
Life Time 2001

Default Gonna get hot.........

Maria: I think making cards with pressed flowers would be fun! Dont know about the Survivior thing either. I have never watched the show. But DH does and it sounds pretty burtal sometimes. She must really want to do it!

Peggy: What kind of dancing do grannies do? She must have fun! Great that you went on the MS walk. I am going to start doing these walks. My neighbor does all the time and has invited me to go so Im gonna do it!

Slavika: Heck I dont know where they come up with these names. They are pretty strange if you ask me. There is even a Laughing Cow cheese that is really good! When you look for this stuff and ask for it, you feel kind of silly. At least I do!
Im not doing anything to exciting this weekend. I realy do need to get out and work some more in the yard. DH usually comes up with something else for us to do.

Its suppose to get up in the 100's here next week! Its only May! ALAS!

Have a great night all!
Old 05-19-2001, 10:14 AM   #3  
Net browser

Default ....Skinny Cows

Good Morning Lily I think a while back you gave us the web address for "Skinny Cows" but I can't find it. Do you have it handy and could you post it again for me. Thanks.

Glenda Hi there. We didn't hear from you for awhile. Is everything going ok with you? How's that little baby Gabe doing?

Margot you've been missing for a long time too. Are you still having trouble with your computer? What's new with you?

GEEZ I have to track down everybody.....I'm beginning to feel like a bloodhound.
TTFN.
Old 05-19-2001, 11:02 AM   #4  
Net browser

Default ....it's ok Lily

Hi Lily It's ok I found the web page. I knew there was a form there you could fill out to request a store carry Skinny Cow Ice Cream. I wanted to fill it out and give it to my Supermarket. Bye now.
Old 05-19-2001, 01:09 PM   #5  
Member Florida Chick

Default Weigh-in today!

Down.2 That hardly counts except for maintaining, I think, but it much better than going up .2

Lily: 100 degrees that is hot. We haven't hit that here in Fl. yet, but probably will. We still need rain. Another fire today.

Slavika: This granny does line-dancing every Friday eve. We have a great time and it is such good aerobic exercise. And walking and swimming and biking. And I still can't lose those over the goal lbs. Think I'll try cutting out the carbs. What do you think?
We have Canadian friends here, but the exchange rate is certainly not in your favor. When we go North this summer, I'm looking forward to going across the river to Kingston, Ontario, to get some good bargains, (for us). How is Sammy?

Peggy: Cincinnati hasn't made the news lately. Must be things have quieted down.
What crafty things are you doing now?

Geri: What's new?

Glenda: Hope all is well with you. And little Gabe.

Karen: Are you out there?

Maria: What new adventures are you into now?

I'd like to know, who, besides Trudy, is at goal weight or below? I need some more inspiration. 'See you later' Ann
Old 05-19-2001, 01:29 PM   #6  
Life Time 2001

Slavika: Glad you found the web site. I took a form to my store today as I want the other flavors. So hopefully it will work. All we get is the Vanilla and Chocolate. But I want the mint and Carmel to! Hope you store gets them in for you to!

Ann: .2 is a loss! A loss is a loss! I had many .2's in my journey. They all count!
Woo Line dancing. Thats suppose to be fun! Never tried it my self. 100 or more is normal for here. It just usually desnt happen until July and Aug. So hopefully it wont last long!
Im under goal right now. Still working toward Lifetime.

Margot: How are you?? When Are we going to Hawaii??
Old 05-19-2001, 02:13 PM   #7  
Member Florida Chick

Default P.S.

This Granny isn't 73 yet, but I've left the 60's behind. So I'm glad you young chicks have taken me in. In our dancing group we have ages from 59 to 79. Quite a spread. We also go out and dance at nursing homes. The music seems to reach patients when other things do not.

Lily: I haven't found Big Daddy here either. Is that also Ice cream?

Geri: You are not alone with the housekeeping deficit. There is nothing I dislike more than dusting. You just have to do it all over again. My kids always knew if we were having company, because we'd all have to 'spif' up around the house. And if I did happen to get a clean-up urge, they always wanted to know who was coming. I am now at the place that if friends come to see us,and they mind the dust, then I'm not sure if they are really friends. 'See you later' Ann
Old 05-20-2001, 10:13 AM   #8  

Default no words of wisdom just words........

This week I'm going to be talking about "Putting Yourself First". In todays world sometime there never seems to be enough hours in the day , week or month . We find ourselves being pulled in 100 different direction. Do this .Do that and never doing a thing for ourselves! We very easily get lost in the shuffle. Can you relate?? By the time you've taken care of everyone else you may not have enough energy to take care of yourself. Putting the kabosh on your weight loss ,because there isn't time to devote to just you. Or you just plain to tired to plan for yourself. When your doing for everyone else you begin to feel neglected and stressed out. So more often than not you over eat to make yourself feel cared for and less stressed. Or it just may be that the only time you have for you is when your eating. We have to remember to take care of ourselves first in order to take care of the other people in our lives. Remember on an airplane the advice you hear is" In an emergency and the oxygen masks fall put yours on first then help the children with theirs." Good topic??

I'm a bit depressed. This is my birthday month and for some reason I'm feeling down instead of up. Birthdays are just that . Why does the number 55 get to me. Got to crawl out of that whole and come up for air. Maybe that's why I chose the putting yourself first topic this week.

Ann I agree with Lily any loss is a loss as long as the scale numbers go down who cares how long it takes. Remember this is a life time thing.

I also went to the thread that Lily mentioned . Our little group here is what WW service vision says:
Our Members Will Feel:
*Cared For
*Part of the Group
*Well Informed
*Motivated to Succeed
I think we get all of that here.

Maria I have an Aunt who does the pressed flowers on card and I agree they are beautiful. I agree with Oprah She says that even in this day of e-mail a hand written note is just the best thing. I know I love it.

I've forgotten all that was said on the other thread. So I'm just going to post this as is. Hello to Peggy,Slavika (aka bloodhound),Trudy and Geri.

Karen
Old 05-20-2001, 11:51 AM   #9  
Net browser

Default ....it's raining, it's pouring..

Hi Everybody
Karen good morning. I think that would make a great topic. I think often we put ourselves way, way down the list because we just have so many things to do. We end up, not feeling so great, because we are stressed, not looking so great, because we didn't take the time to get our hair done (cut/colored/permed). Didn't have time to give ourselves a pedicure, so maybe our "toe toes" are not looking their best in sandals. We just end up "looking" like we don't really care about ourselves. Boy, when we take that little bit of extra time for ourselves.......it shows. Then we are ready to take on the world again.
So Birthday Girl....55yrs coming up. If ever there was a time to put yourself first...this is it Karen . So pamper yourself a little and when the birthday rolls around, look in the mirror and say, "geez, I'm looking good, and feel great".
Ann as we gals get older and older on this board we will have to change the heading to 50/60/70 and 80's. LOL Being .2 down is good. Staying the same is good. Going "UP" not so good. hee hee
My little Sammy is fine. Yesterday he was playing with another squirrel. Last year I think Sammy took a wife and the one he was frolicking with in the yard yesterday might be his new "love interest" because he allowed her to eat his food. (That is very unlike him)
Lily I like it warm outside but 100 is a bit much. The rain should stop here soon and we are promised some sun and a high temp. of 68.
Have a great Sunday everybody. Bye now.
Old 05-20-2001, 12:31 PM   #10  

I just got back from my 5 mile MS walk. It is a beautiful day. The walk was around a college campus in Kentucky. Getting ready to go to the tap dance recital. It is National Tap Day so my sister tells me. Her granddaughter who is 14 is going to dance with her. Should be fun. Ann I took line dancing lessons a few years ago. It was a blast. All I can remember is The Electric Slide. I am very good at tripping over my feet. I would like to take ballet. Did it when I was little. Maria pressed flower cards are beautiful. I saw some that used the petals of different flowers and made flower fairies and women in big Southern belle dresses. It is always nice to get a handmade card. I have a lot of rubber stamps that I like to play with. Karen that is a good message for your group. I like it when you inspire us. Would like to be in your class. Have a nice birthday. Don't worry about the numbers. 55 isn't old anymore. Slavika what kind of squirrel is this Sammy? Taking a girlfriend when he already had a wife. Lily stay cool - don't melt in that heat. Talk later, Peggy
Old 05-20-2001, 03:48 PM   #11  
Member Florida Chick

Default What is old?

Karen: Thanks for the words of encouragement.I'm going to print them and send them to a friend who is a lifetiime member who has stopped going and has regained a lot. She is so busy and spending so much time taking care of her grown kids and their problems she is just on a merry-go-round. When your birthday rolls around, give yourself a special pampering. It bothered me a lot when I got to the 70 mark, but I just decided I would not want to go back and start over. God has blessed me every inch of the way and put me right where I'm supposed to be. And I am blessed with a good mind and good health, so just 'keep on keeping on.' I don't think about the numbers anymore. That is all they are-numbers.

Slavika: Maybe Sammy is a bigamist/ or a Mormon of the old persuasion? Having fun, it seems, anyway, whatever he is. And just think of all the pleasure he is bring us! We can be Feisty and Sexy no matter what the numbers say!

Peggy: A good walk for a good cause. We do the Electric Slide, plus a whole lot of other stuff. When I started I didn't think I was ever going to keep from getting tangled up, but now that we have learned the basics is is not too bad. We do a charleston type step, and a cowboy Chacha, one called Waltz across Texas. Just to name a few. Have you ever done quilling? I make cards with designs on them with the quilling. In case you don't know what it is, you use thin paper strips, and make flowers and designs, with a special tool, and then glue them in patterns.

Hope Trudy is having a wonderful vacation.

Maria: I have also seen lampshades made with the pressed and dried flower petals. Very dainty looking and unique. How is the web page coming?

Hi Lily, Geri, Glenda

Been watching the weather channel and eveyone is getting rain except us.

I'm learning this daily struggle with weight can get frustrating and/or stressful if we allow ourselves to obsess. Today our Pastor made a statement that gave me something to think about.He said :"80% of stress is mind related. Stress is created by the mind. So I'm working on my mind!

Have a sucessful week. Ann
Old 05-20-2001, 06:01 PM   #12  
Life Time 2001

Default Sammy is a bigamist ???????ALAS

Karen: Thats is so true! We always tend to forget about ourselfs and we are the most important person! We should come first before taking care of others. Great topic! I know I can diffentely relate.
Dont be depressed about your birthday. 55 is young! So dont let it bother you. Maybe you just need to take a day for you and do what you want to do. Pamper yourself. You deserve it!

Slavika: Oh Sammy sharing his food? Humm sounds like he does have a new love interest. This could be Samantha!

Peggy: Im pretty clumsy myself. Im always tripping over my feet. Your dance recital sounds fun! Have a good time!

Ann: Great attitude on the age! Im gonna have to remember that myself. Your pastor had a good saying to. I really believe it. We stress ourselfs out, so it is mostly all in the mind.
Old 05-20-2001, 08:37 PM   #13  

G'day all,

A bit of a dreary monday morning here in Melbourne but I had a great weekend and looking forward to making some progress with my web page, I have now got a title Memoirs from a suitcase - Alan and Maria's Odyssey . I thought it was OK, it was very difficult to just think of a title.

Karen I can so relate especially about putting yourself first. I remember going to a breast cancer support group and they spoke of the 'burnt potato syndrome' ie if you are making a roast and one of the pototos is a little burnt why do we give that burnt potato to ourselves??? This really struck a cord with me and it is amazing how many times I still catch myself putting myself last but I am making progress and I am not half as bad as I used to be. I think it is years of conditioning and it is not so easy to get out of the habit, being aware of it is a huge start. As far as age, it has never been a real issue with me and I think this site is a good example of the varied ages that post here and I don't think of anyone older or younger than me. One thing I do, I assume everyone is my age If they are 45 or 75!!! At times I am a little envious of the way my daughter thinks, she never berates herself about being fat (she is not but when I was her age I was also her size and I HATED my body), she dresses for comfort, again I do as long as no-one can see me and is just very comfortable with herself. She looks stunning in her wedding dress and when I told her she said " yeh I do a bit, don't I" I am more and more accepting of compliments though at times I still don't feel comfortable. It must have been our era.
I am with Ann, I have had at times a difficult life but overall I have been very blessed and really would not like to go back to my thirties or to any other time in my life other than now.
Ann yes I also love the quilling, it so delicate and interesting.
Slavika you do make me laugh with that bigamist of a Sammy, I am disappointed you are encouraging this sort of behaviour in your own back yard.
When we are all in our nineties will there still be 3 fat chicks on a diet?? We will probably all have our own websites.

I am so focussed on my points and just feel great, clothes are looser, why did I mess about for so long kidding myself 'I don't need to journal, I can remember at the end of the day'
Have a great day all
Cheers
Maria
Old 05-20-2001, 11:56 PM   #14  
Net browser

Default ....great posts everybody

Hi Everybody
I really enjoyed reading all the posts. Karen started it I guess with her suggestion of the WW topic for her next meeting. Maria you are right about thinking of all of us being the same age. In a way I think it's true. It seems it doen't matter so much the age of our friends, as the things we share with them. At our tea time, we have a gal in her 30's, another in her late 40's the rest in their late 50's. We have a great time, and talk about everything under the sun. It's that way on this board too.
Compliments.....yes I think some of us are finally learning to just say, "thank you" when we are paid a compliment, instead of, "this old thing, goodness I've had it for years". LOL One time at WW our Leader asked how many of us call a friend or family member, and have to leave a message, and start it like this, "hi, it's "JUST" me."
Peggy Way to go...on your 5 mile walk. How did your sister make out with her tap dancing?
Poor Sammy maybe I'm not being fair to him. I "know" Sammy, because he is so fat, has white fur on the tips of his ears ??? (don't know why) and a little mark in his fur on his left thigh (like maybe a battle scar). The thing with grey squirrels, is that they all look just like grey squirrels. LOL . I can't say for sure, that Sammy's new friend is male or female. I assume female because he allowed her to eat some peanuts. For all I know maybe that is his "wife" from last season. hee hee Geez, just like a soap opera.
We went to my brother's/SIL house today for lunch. My brother retired a short while ago at 59 yrs. and the company is keeping him on full salary until he turns 60 at which time he will collect full pension. He was a saleman for a steel company. Well....he was getting a little bored I guess, and one day when my SIL was out he decided to put all her spices in the the cupboard in alphabetical order. You might think on first reading this, that might be a good idea, until you went to get the oregano and it was stuck way, way in the back in the corner, or your garlic powder was somewhere behind the celery seed, and dill weed. Well, a week ago, he got another job....he's happy as can be and so is she.
He'll have the devil to pay at "Tax Time". I think it's worth it though.
We had our Son and the grandbabies over for BBQ dinner this evening. Boy those grandchildren of our's were really wound up and our Son was run down. We played a "version" of Charades with them, and that helped settle them. I was over my points today. I find BBQ season harder somehow then eating in the winter.
I hope Trudy and her DH are having a good time on their touring holiday. After the bus journey this trip must seem like a dream.
Night all.

Last edited by slavika; 05-21-2001 at 12:05 AM.
Old 05-21-2001, 12:44 AM   #15  

Just a quick note to say hi. I have been so busy the last few days with housework "ugh" and the golf tournament. But my house looks good. In fact, really good. It is "show ready". It would be nice if I could keep it this way, but I know that is impossible. I have neither the time nor energy---but mostly I haven't the desire. I think God created me for better things.

Slavika, I am surprised that a good Catholic like you would permit a married squirrel to be "carrying on" in her back yard. What will the neigbors think?

It is late, and I am tired. I will get back on in the morning and give you a report on the last few days. Ann I like your attitude. I tell people that if they want to visit the door is always open and the coffee is hot. However, if they are coming to see the house, they must make an appointment. I used to live in West Texas and you don't know the meaning of dust till you've lived there. It is unbelievable. That is another story.

Karen, you are not getting older but rather better. I had a friend in Ohio who was very proud of her 55th birthday. She said she was now in the speed zone. Of course that was back in the 70's. I understand that they are thinking of returning to that. I can guarantee that will never work in Texas.

Tell Dee we miss her. How are she and her family doing? Does she still come for tea?
Closed Thread