WW Food and Point Issues ...other than recipes

Closed Thread

Old 03-01-2001, 01:02 AM   #1  

Does anyone know of any sources of non-cheese and non-chocolate fondue recipes? I bought a fondue set because I thought it would be a fun and healthy way to make broth based meals for my family but I can't find any recipes that don't involve hunks of cheese.
Thank you!
Stephanie
Old 03-01-2001, 02:54 AM   #2  
imaleader

You might want to search on foodtv.com or epicurious.com and see if there are recipes that you could alter. A fondu by any other name is soup... And, the idea of dunking a piece of bread or fruit or meat into a non-sticky (cheesy or oil-based) sauce is counter to the concept. But, I'll bet there's a way to do this. (You could also lighten up a chili w/ additional tomato sauce (zero points) and dip great bread in that.

Old 03-01-2001, 03:01 AM   #3  

The reason I bought the set is because I remember having meats and vegetables cooked in broth at a fondue restaurant a long time ago, so I know it can be done. I had already checked epicurious but I'll try the foodtv.com.
Thanks.
Old 03-01-2001, 04:25 AM   #4  

There is a dish I've had at either a Japanese or Korean restaurant (I know they aren't the same! Don't kill me! I just can't remember where I had this) where you are brought very thinly sliced meats and veggies and cook them in very hot broth. It is called Shabu-Shabu. Maybe if you searched for that you could come up with something you could do in your fondue pot?

One wonders, though, if it would be hot enough. The shabu-shabu broth was pretty much boiling. My MIL liked to do beef tenderloin chunks in a fondue pot full or oil. It might be that the heat transferring properties (Vickibee might be able to explain this) of oil differ from those of water/broth such that you can cook meat over sterno in oil but not in broth? It's worth a try but slice your meat THIN. You don't want food poisoning.
Closed Thread