Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 02-21-2005, 12:53 AM   #1  

Default Monday, Feb. 21

Hi everyone....I haven't been here for some time.....have been going through a rough time with the SAD lately....trying to adjust my meds....feeling good tonight.

I went to a workshop on SAD last weekend at the college here....they were saying that with SAD....antidepressants only work in about 30% of people.....that's encouraging eh....lol.

So anyway I am taking 1 day at a time....thought I would start this before I went to bed.

April
april99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005, 06:12 AM   #2  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Good Monday Everyone,

Hi April, its good to see you. Gee 30%, thats SAD, No pun intended LLOLOLOL.
There's so much snow out there this morning so I'll be going into work late (if I do )

Happy Presidents Day !!!

Whats on your Monday todo list?
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005, 07:45 AM   #3  

hi all..anyone here try the "lose the fat feed the muscle" e-book ?
darlin12009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005, 09:16 AM   #4  
prepare for the BEST time

Good Morning!

OK, I feel crappy.......I feel out of control, but I am climbing back up on the wagon and trying to count my accomplishments instead of wallowing around. I feel overwhelmed with work, the house, the cat has a swollen ear, the dog poop on the rug, I had to shovel snow, I had to get ready for work, but all I want to do is pull the covers over my head and sleep, but then I had awful nightmares last night.....I need to GETAGRIP!!

BTW, Hello April.....I was on anti-depressants for 6-8 months, first Zoloft and then Welbutrin....the zoloft first made me, nauseated, then starving, then made me feel as though I was in full-blown menopause,(sweating, sweating sweating) the welbutrin was also a disaster.....for me, NEVER AGAIN....my body rebelled big-time.

I'll be back later, I missed working out both yesterday and this morning (life got in the way), will try to get to the gym this afternoon.....SIGH!

Last edited by Leenie; 02-21-2005 at 09:38 AM. Reason: Just to keep it family oriented...hope you don't mind :)
marbleflys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005, 09:40 AM   #5  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Well I wasn't going to go to work today but here I am, at work LOLOLOL !!!

Marble hang in there !!!

Darlin, I've heard of the book but no, I haven't read it. You?

Wake up sleepy heads
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005, 09:45 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 209/179/160

Height: 5'3"

Good morning gang!

Cin's hubby is having two tests run today. Please keep him in your prayers!

wow Leenie - snow huh? what does that look like? this morning it is London foggy here and suppose to get up to almost 80! gosh - it's still February right? be safe on the roads!

Ericka - WELCOME! what a beautiful precious baby boy! look forward to gettting to know you.

Joanne - so glad you got to see your son! I will be praying for Matthew - I promise! and for you and your family! hugs

Kathy - congrats on staying within your points on Saturday!!! was your scale good to you? do you happen to get on the scale at all times during the day? yikes! I only get on that thing very first thing in the morning with not a thing on and nothing in my body to make me weigh more! Those scales are S C A R E Y!

April - what are you taking now? still the over the counter stuff? I was wondering - at the SAD workshop did they happen to mention how important exercise was for helping with the depression? I have read many times that it is even more effective than meds. Just wondering if they brought it up?

Darlin - I'm sorry - I've never heard of that book. have you tried it? can you tell us about it?

Marble - I am so sorry you are having a bad morning! I hope it gets much better very quickly! If you are like me, you are probably feeling a little down from not getting in your workout - I know it really effects me - I just feel so much better, both physically & mentally, when I get in. (but of course, I did not get up early enough to do it this morning and can't go during lunch bec I'm working thru lunch and taking my youngest ds to a doc appt).

Hope everyone has a BLESSED day!

hugs,
cathy
cathyxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005, 11:25 AM   #7  
Divine Gal

Default Good Morning Ladies

OMG my abs ache so much today from those krunches yesterday.I weighed myself this morning and it said I was back up 2 lbs. But Dh measured me this morning and I got good results with that so it made me feel better.

Dh has school today so I will be cleaning up some and exercising.I am also going to do the Fast Track of WW this week.Only 20 points a day with no flexpoints.So help cheer me on to do well on it.

Dr.Phil is doing a show today called "Scary Trends".One of the segments is about binge drinking and a friend of mine's parents is going to be on it.Its the girl Sam who passed away from alcohol poisoning.I am hoping some of you will watch because this girl meant alot to me.

BBL
*hugs*
lynnie
lynnie24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005, 11:47 AM   #8  

Hi everyone!

Had a great event yesterday.........and a nice relaxing evening following

Going to help my mom and dad move today...........work a night tonight and then a few relaxing days getting ready to go!

Have a great day everyone!

Eliz
liz321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005, 11:49 AM   #9  
Walking by faith

Smile Good Morning Ladies

This morning I got up late (10 am). My DH was up and around, but he hadn't made coffee yet. So I went in and got it started. I noticed when I was filling the pot that the water was running kind of slow. I figured that it might be that the filter on the faucet needed to be changed. I decided to get the dishwasher started while I was waiting on the coffee. I was rinsing out some glasses when the water went down to a trickle. My first thought was "Did I pay the water bill?" I called the city, and it turns out that there was a water main break down the street. I must have gotten the last of the water in the line for my coffee !

April: It's good to see you . I'm sorry you're having a rough time with your SAD. Have you talked to your Dr. about adjusting your supplement dosage?

Cathy: This has been a WEIRD winter-frost one morning and pea-soup fog the next. 80 F is too warm for February-even down here! Thanks for your prayers for Matt.

Marble: I'm sorry you're going through a rough time. I was on Wellbutrin too-it just didn't work for me There are so many new drugs and alternative treatments out there. I'm sure you'll find one that works for you

Lynnie: Sometimes the scale doesn't reflect true progress. I'm glad your measurements are down. Just think of it this way-you're getting healthier!

Leenie: I'm glad you got to work safely . I used to HATE driving in snow!

Hope everyone has a great day
Stepping Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005, 12:14 PM   #10  
KO
In Pursuit of Divatude!

Hey this is just a quickie b/c i have to get some food started I'm having a cooking fest so I won't have to cook as much when the job starts (tommorrow) and have some healthy OP meals
WE went to an engagement party yesterday and it was allll desserts no real food no veggies I'll fill you ladies in a bit later
bbl
Kier
KO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005, 01:50 PM   #11  

Hi there! We're off today, but DH has to work, and I just got the baby down for a nap. It's pouring cats and dogs here (America's Finest City is San Diego, California). Luckily we're not in an area threatened by flooding or mudslides. And I've got a cold again (last one took over a month just to get my smell and taste back).

April: I've heard that about SAD. Have you been using light therapy? I've heard that just buying the full sprectrum lights and using them instead of regular lights at home can help. I do that even though I don't have SAD because it seems gloomy without them.

Darlin: Never heard of the book, sounds interesting.

Marbleflys: I can really relate to your morning. Wellbutrin and Zoloft also didn't work well with me.

Homebound: I hate it when that happens! We used to live in an apartment complex where they'd turn off the water at will. When we first had the baby I had to threaten reporting them so we'd have hot water to wash the baby bottles.

Thank you to the rest of you for welcoming me. I got enough motivation to read the first chapter in "The Thin Commandments" and I feel better about things. I plan on reading a couple more chapters today since I'm not working. I've even figured out where DH and SS can hide one of my weak foods so they can still have it and I'll forget about it being in the house.
eulac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005, 01:54 PM   #12  

Hi again

Homebound....I have talked to the doctor about my meds....he said to adjust them....in ways that make me feel better....which I am doing.

Cathy.....I am still taking what the naturopath prescribed....but changing the dosage & the time of day I take them.
At the workshop on SAD....they did say that exercise is important....the thing is....when one is feeling so sad....it is hard to get yourself to do anything....today I walked on the treadmill.
They also recommend sitting outside in the sun for 15 minutes in the winter every day.
They also said....the difference between SAD & regular depression....with SAD you usually feel better in the morning....if you are going to be sad....it usually happens later in the day....with regular depression....you are depressed all the time.
They also said....SAD can get worse as one gets older.....something to do with hormones.
There is a lot of SAD where I live....we are in a more northern climate....we get less daylight in the fall & winter.

Marblefly.....I was on regular antidpressants for 3 years....the side effects were terrible...1 of them being so tired.....wanting to sleep an extra 4 to 5 hours a day...plus the weight gain.....that is why I have been going to a naturopath since last June....my family doctor knows about this.

April
Old 02-21-2005, 02:00 PM   #13  

Ericka.....I do use full spectrum light bulbs in quite a few rooms in the house.....also I have a light box.....I use it from a half hour to 2 or so hours a day.

April
Old 02-21-2005, 02:41 PM   #14  
Starting over Spring 2011

Height: 5'10"

Hi, everyone,

Gosh, April, I am sorry SAD is giving you a hard time. Are you just using natural remedies? I am so interested in doing that. I would love to hear more about what works. I deal with depression pretty much all the time, though. Anyhow, I hope you are feeling better soon.

Marbleflys, I hope things go better for you soon. Hang in there.

Leenie, I am still envious of those of you who have a job to go to. I have been looking for awhile. But probably when I start working again, I'll be wishing I was home sometimes. Hope you have a good day.

Cathy, thank you so much for the support. I weigh on Sundays---at the same time every time, with just my unders on. I try to stay away from the scale otherwise. I did weigh myself yesterday and I lost 2 pounds. I was hoping to lose more. It kind of worried me. Why didn't I lose more the first week? Two pounds a week would be great, though, I just thought the first week would be more. Made me worry a little bit. Will this really work o.k. after the first week? Not sure if I am making sense. (I am taking medicine for depression, which I need right now, so I am worried it will not let me lose). I am so determined, though. I am ON WW for awhile. It is good to finally feel settled on something. I hope you have a good day today.

Lynnie, good luck on the Fast Track. I will be curious to see how it goes. Keep going, though. We can do it. (I will try to watch Dr. Phil. )

Eliz, glad your event went well. Have a good day.

Joanne, have you got your water back yet? What a pain. Have a wonderful day.

Kier, I really admire your planning ahead. How do you do it? I kind of just stick to the same things pretty much all the time, which works right now. But planning would be good.

Ericka, sorry you have a cold. Hope it goes away soon. Have a good day.

To anyone I missed---I am sorry if I missed you. I am still getting used to communicating on this thread.

I did weigh myself yesterday, and I lost 2 pounds. Is that good for the first week on WW? I was hoping to lose more. I know you usually do the first week or so (water weight, or whatever). Maybe it was because I was already eating pretty well before I started? It kind of worried me, because I have to take medicine which can cause weight gain, and I freaked out a little at the smaller loss---like what if I can't really lose while on the medicine (I can't change it now, it took awhile to find the right one) . So I am a little bit worried, but I am very determined. I think you can still lose if you follow WW. What do you think? Have a good day, everyone. Thanks for the support.
tkdkathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005, 02:51 PM   #15  
Divine Gal

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkdkathy
Lynnie, good luck on the Fast Track. I will be curious to see how it goes. Keep going, though. We can do it. (I will try to watch Dr. Phil. )

I did weigh myself yesterday, and I lost 2 pounds. Is that good for the first week on WW? I was hoping to lose more. I know you usually do the first week or so (water weight, or whatever). Maybe it was because I was already eating pretty well before I started? It kind of worried me, because I have to take medicine which can cause weight gain, and I freaked out a little at the smaller loss---like what if I can't really lose while on the medicine (I can't change it now, it took awhile to find the right one) . So I am a little bit worried, but I am very determined. I think you can still lose if you follow WW. What do you think? Have a good day, everyone. Thanks for the support.

Well tkd I changed my mind about the 20 points a day I don't think I'm able to do it as of right yet but I am going to try and not use my flexpoints anyway. I have 32 points to use but sometimes I try not to use them all.I have to get ready and exercise but today I'm really not feeling up to it.A 2 lb lost on your first week is a great weight loss.Keep up the good work.Do you like tunafish? I eat alot of it because its my favorite thing.I was thinking of putting a can on my salad tonight?

*hugs*
lynnie
lynnie24 is offline   Reply With Quote