Closed Thread

Old 02-18-2005, 08:45 PM   #1  

Default Feisty & Sexy 50-60 yr old #44

G'day everyone,

I am a very happy person today, my dd applied for a position which she thought she had little chance of getting but she did!!!!
It is a as a 'Review Officer' of nursing homes. She has always enjoyed working in aged care and when she came across this she thought she would have a go. It will be very challenging; it basically is checking up that aged care patients are getting the treatment that the government has subsidised the aged care facility for. I am sure the same applies all over the world, there are some very shonky aged-care facilities here
Her salary is $28000 more a year than what she receives at the moment, she also gets a car, laptop and mobile (cell) phone.
Her psychology degree will keep her in good stead handling some of the confrontations that she will no doubt have to deal with.
I am very proud of both my children, our ds works at a highschool where very few teachers want to teach. Most of his students come from disadvantaged backgrounds.
Spoke to my d-i-l last night, asked how Matilda was doing and she said she must know we are talking about her she is moving around like crazy

Ann I can picture your trip, how frustrating, glad you did have some success finding some possibilities.
I love crepe myrtles, which should look so pretty. At the moment they are all in flower here in Sydney and they just look lovely.

Karen I do ring my family/friends an awful lot but it is not quite the same. You ARE home, but I live out of suitcases I do understand that you would miss the area where you lived for so many years.
I am loving my camera and this morning whilst we were out this morning, it just struck me that we could not drive 5 metres without another sign telling us of a SALE of some sort. I had the thought of photographing a lot of these signs and make them into a collage, I thought that could look quite interesting.

Slavika very happy to hear how pleased the oncologist is with your dh’s progress. As Ann said he will be very ‘in’ with a bald head!!

We bought a coffee latte machine this morning, after three lots going down the sink, the fourth lot was pretty good!

Hope you are all having a great weekend.

Cheers
Maria
Old 02-20-2005, 10:50 AM   #2  

Hi All,
Been fighting the flu or whatever is going around here. All I want to do is sleep. Hard to get things done that way.

Maria don't you wish you had those ruby red slippers of Dorothy's [Wizard of Oz] that you could click together 3 times and be home? Your life always sounds so glamourous with all the traveling but home is the best. How wonderful for you dd's new job. My son called the other day and left a message on the recorder. I listened and wondered why is he letting me listen to a flat tire. It turns out it was the baby's heart beat. He took a mini recorder to the dr's office and recorded it. Makes is all seem so much more real. Only 7 weeks left to go. My dil has only gained 12lbs. We all are jealous of that.

Glenda I am sending you (((hugs))). I have a friend just diagnosed with stomach cancer and it doesn't look good.

Slavika one of my friends dh has had 9 heart attacks, 14 angioplasties and a by pass. He also got guillian barre with one of the attacks. I know he was in a depression after the by pass.

Karen how cool to see someone from Brainard. Did she move down to Fla too or is she a snowbird?

Trudy the little angel is getting big. They grow so fast.

Ann when I work in the cafeteria I usually sign up to take the dirty trays back. Most of the mothers hate that job. They like to serve. I don't mind cause I keep busy. My friend is the cashier and she is the one who got me involved. I like to see the kids and some of my friends grandkids are there and I know a few of the teachers.

Got to go, my head is splitting.

Ann
Old 02-21-2005, 03:50 PM   #3  
Super Surfer

Unhappy Hi..

My kitchen renno is going very slowly and with a lot of problems. We hired a kitchen & bath company, thinking they would do everything right. Mistakes were made in the measuring and now we are living in limbo as they have to re-measure and order again. It will be a while before we get our lives back ... it is not something I would recommend to anyone. If your kitchen is out of date.... MOVE! The designer is coming back this afternoon to try and make everything right. Our nerves are shot. I come here to read and just don't feel like posting most of the time. At least I can cook now.
The designer just phoned and is on his way over. I have to gather up my list of complaints. I feel like I have a boulder in my stomach.

See you...
Old 02-21-2005, 04:17 PM   #4  

G'day everyone,

Trudy What a pain I think you must have been a bit unlucky. In my time I have 2 kitchen 'renos', one was fairly basic but the other was a little more complex, I had no problems at all and loved my new kitchens.
Just think of how lovely it will be when it is all finally done.

Peggy We also thought 5 years ago (that is now how long we have been living this life!) how glamarous and exciting it is all going to be, it wore off VERY quickly!! Having said all that, we have enjoyed a lot of our time, seen a lot, learnt a lot ......but also have missed our home a lot
I hope you are beating the flu, I have conjunctivitis at the moment and I am posting this with one eye glugged up

Trudy and Slavika I must tell you about my dream , I dreamt I was in your home town, it is a beatiful city, I saw Walmart, the Outback restaurant, Costco, all these places I have never seen before
Then I tried to track you both down and the only thing I could think of was to contact a radio station (our flight was leaving and I was in a hurry )
I had success my dh went home on his own and I caught a flight a few days later. We did nothing but talk (unusual for me ), ate Slavika's little treats and then I left again. You both did promise you would come to visit me next

Slavika as you probably gather from my dream, you and your family are on my mind a lot. Hang in there, keep strong.
I think I speak for everyone, it is good to receive your emails albeit some of the news in the last one was disappointing to read, I can imagine how you both must have felt.

Ann, Karen, Glenda and Lily g'day to you all!

Cheers
Maria

Last edited by flaggies; 02-21-2005 at 04:21 PM.
Old 02-23-2005, 08:52 AM   #5  
Fun Blonde

Maria, you obviously have quite an imagination, judging by your dream. I work with a lady who works every night like a little drone, setting up meetings, etc. and then comes to work. Just amazes me. I sleep like a rock since I got my mask-thingy. Sorry you are a little eye-plugged. I used to think you had a glamorous life, but it just has gone on too long. I love home.

Trudy, I love your advice to just MOVE. But you know it will be nice eventually. I have 2 rooms that could make a very nice one room, but just the thought of something big like that makes my stomach hurt.

Peggy, I hope you fight off the flu successfully. Last week I and an office friend went to get flushots. They won't be effective for another week, so we probably just spun our wheels, but they were telling us to do it not to waste the shots. Remember when they didn't have enough?

Ann, I have already talked to you today, but I am glad you got some entertainment lined up. You are amazing.

Slavika, I am still digesting your last email. I so hope you get some good news soon. You are an amazing lady, but I have always thought that. I think having an illness can show us how strong we are, but I have always held the opinion that the caregivers are the ones who are most amazing, not at the center of attention, but the strength of the patient. I am praying for you to retain your strength and optimism.

You will never believe what I just did. I started this post yesterday, must have gotten busy and saw it was still here today. So here goes.
Glenda
Old 02-24-2005, 12:31 PM   #6  
Fun Blonde

Okay, guys, where are you? I need help! Talk to me about going to WW!
Glenda
Old 02-24-2005, 04:48 PM   #7  
Net browser

Hi Everybody

Maria the only part of your dream that is not correct is, our city does not have a Outback Restaurant. hee hee Now tea time with Trudy and I ...that could happen.

Thanks to all of you for your supportive emails. Today DH isn't feeling all that great, sort of flu like, and those night sweats just exhaust him. Although he just stayed in his P.J.'s today, he is reading his sports magazines and the newspaper.....so that's good.

Glenda I too have to make the effort to get back to WW. You know the saying, "out of sight out of mind". Come summer and I shed all these winter clothes I will not be happy with myself.

Peggy sorry you got the flu. I was talking to a friend today, who had the flu, felt a little better then had a relapse....she said, "just like the pope and look at all the people praying for him".

Trudy how did babysitting go with your little last night?

Not much else is new with me, I'll come and see you all tomorrow. Bye for now.
Old 02-24-2005, 07:48 PM   #8  

G'day all,

Glenda what would you like me to tell you I am struggling myself!!!
This weekend it is not going to any better with visitors again. It is great to have visitors but it is hard to stay on track.
I haven't given up but think perhap if I can just stay the same until I get home. So far it is a struggle but I have succeeded.
You are going towards spring, think of a new season a new you!!!
Perhaps promise yourself the tatooing when you reach a certain goal.

Nice to see you post Slavika. I got the dream pretty well right then other for the Outback Restaurant
We are talking more and more about our USA/Canada trip when we retire. I have always been a little worried about retiring, I guess you never have enough money to retire on and you can continue to put it off. As you well know, you never know what is a round the corner and whilst we have good health, we need to do all the things we WANT to do.

I have been up since very early this morning to collect friends from the airport. They are in bed at the moment, their flight left their home town, Darwin (in the tropical North of Australia) at 12.30 am and arrived here at 6.20 am. They had their family around last night who then drove them to the airport so they did not sleep at all other than a little shut-eye on the flight.
These friends are from way back, in fact dh went to kindergarten with him
Should be a fun weekend before they leave again on Tuesday.

Have a great weekend all,

Cheers
Maria
Old 02-24-2005, 09:49 PM   #9  

Thought I better check in. Things around here have been busy again.SIL had her surgeries and it was supposed to be out patient but she wound up staying the night. She had one of those SVT things like my DH. Any way we were able to bring her home today . She is staying in bed like a good girl .
My Dad has had a battery of test. And now we wait until next week for the results of all of them. Don't know if i told you but with all he has going on he now has diabetes and they have him on a medication to help bring his blood sugar down. It seems to be one thing after another .
DH sees a cardiologist tomorrow. I will be going along.
I've had a touch of the flu I think. My belly has been messed up for a few days.
Later
Karen
Old 02-25-2005, 04:09 PM   #10  
Fun Blonde

Slavika, glad you posted. Your DH will just have up and down days. The secret is just going with the flow. He is probably pretty glad he is no longer trying to work. I know your coping skills are so good--you will find the joy where you can. This morning I was talking to one of our VP's who just had treatment for lymphoma. He feels pretty lost right now, said it is like grieving for your body when you felt invincible and you know now you are mortal. It is sort of a grieving process for that "before" self, but I think the "post" self can be pretty good. Am I rambling....again?

Maria, have you opened a bed and breakfast? You are always having company, but it does make the time go faster. I like your idea of a reward, but the tattooing makeup thing is going to happen within this month and I won't be at any goal by then.

Karen, Maria is running a bed and breakfast and you are running a convalescence home. I hope your SIL gets better. Remember, you can't get sick. It sounds like two people at least are depending on you. Are you doing okay at WW? I need to get back to the meetings, but I can't for 2 weeks. I am so hard trying to do the right thing. I am staying at 22-24 points and walking on the treadmill every day.

Have a redhatter's outing tomorrow. I have a pretty new hat. Should be fun. Have a good weekend.
Glenda
Old 02-26-2005, 12:05 PM   #11  
Super Surfer

Smile Hi everyone

Glenda I too am struggling with the lbs I put on this winter. When I am stressed, I eat... we also have been eating out a lot. Not a good combination. The one good thing about all of us is that we never give up. I didn't know you were a Red Hat Society member. Every now and then I will see a group of ladies at a restaurant looking like they are having a wonderful time all dressed up with red hats and purple attire.
Maria We did a kitchen once before, back in the late 70's. I was younger and my DH was working then.... it just seemed easier than this time around. 2 cabinets didn't fit because of an exposed beam in the ceiling, they have re-ordered and we should be all done by Easter.... I just want things to get back to normal.
More company for you. Don't know how you do it.
Karen You have you hands full with looking after your family. Maybe the stress it giving your tummy a problem. That is what happens to me with stress. I hope everything goes well for your DH and family.
Slavika my kept us hopping Wed night. We played with play dough, colored, did puzzles, read books, sang songs, ate her imaginary food while she "cooked" in her little kitchen... She does everything the way Mommy does it for her. She is a treasure, and is the best medicine for us.

Can you believe that Feb is almost over? Looks like a nice day... have a good weekend everyone...

Last edited by Trudy; 02-27-2005 at 11:33 AM.
Old 02-27-2005, 07:13 PM   #12  

G'day all,

Just quickly posting whilst my visitors are having showers etc.
They are leaving again on Wednesday and I must say we are looking forward to being '2' again. I find mealtimes the hardest and the constant chatting, some interesting some not so interesting and of course non-stop drinking and eating
Talk to you all later, hope you are all well and happy.

Cheers
Maria
Old 02-28-2005, 02:45 PM   #13  
Fun Blonde

Maria, just two more days to go! I think you have had such a run of company that it might just all seem a blur. I love my kids and grandkids, but after 2 days or so, I am ready to go back to being "2" again.

Trudy, I play with my grandkids like you do with your Angel. I saw my Austin Saturday evening and we were playing in a tent and playing with little people. When I said we were going, he put his little hand on my face and said, "Draama, I am going to miss you." Just made my day. I will not be able to go to WW until March 12th. I have to get a handle on this thing because I have no clothes at all for summer. I wish I could do well for 6 days and sort of okay for 1. I could really handle that. We too eat out too much.

What did you all think about the Oscars? I absolutely detested "Million Dollar Baby." It was the most depressing movie I have ever seen. I want to see entertainment and something with a good story. This movie was about people who are so on the fringes of society and the story was so pitiful. I think all Clint Eastwood has to do is put his name on a movie and it says "Oscar." Did I put that strongly enough?

I did have an outing with my Redhatters and then DH and I went to see Hotel Rwanda. It was an interesting movie and I think I am still "processing" it. Such a sad thing happened to that countr--a bloody, murderous civil war with genocide--and I wonder why the UN did nothing. Makes me think we should work really, really hard to combat bigotry and hate.

Hope you are all doing well.
Glenda

Last edited by survivor; 02-28-2005 at 02:47 PM.
Old 02-28-2005, 04:06 PM   #14  
Net browser

Hi Everybody

It's been so long since I actually went to a movie that I hadn't seen any of movies that were nominated for the Academy Awards. I still haven't seen the ones that were nominated last year. LOL LOL Does that give you any indication of how often I go to the movies.
I went and saw my little Princess at her dress rehearsal for a number from "Annie" (that movie I HAVE seen many many times with her). For the last two years she has been taking theatre and song (a more fun class then serious one), and she still takes tap, ballet, jazz and hip hop. She takes the classes because she really wants to and does not mind one bit about the time she has to devote to it. It helps of course that her Mother teaches at the one studio that she takes lessons at and is actually her teacher for jazz. I guess too, it give those girls of mine time to be together and share an interest.
I bought new speakers for my computer. I still had the original ones that I got with my computer they weren't very good. The pair I got was very inexpensive but much better then what I had. We get our grandson here after school today and I know he will take over my computer when he arrives as he and his school mates are playing a computer game together. Sometimes I sit by him and watch him play, and he talks the whole time........either to himself, to the monitor or to me. LOL
DH is feeling good today and is just on his way out to our little local Mall just for a break (an airing).
Bye for now.
Old 02-28-2005, 11:06 PM   #15  
Member Florida Chick

Hi all: I've just bee sort of lurking and reading. Guess because nothing exciting has been going on here.

Maria: I am sure that you will be happy to have your home just to yourselves now. Too musch company gets a bit wearing.

Glenda: i'm with you about the academy awards. I think that Mel Gibson should have had some recognition for the Passion. It was such an amazing movie, and not 'trash' like so many of them are. And certainly the make-up was most amazing. We don't go to many movies either, Slavika. We did go and see the Aviator, and it was good, but certainly more a 'man's' movie with all the technical stuff about airplanes. Right up my DH's 'alley' as he is a great airplane buff. And Howard Hughes was certainly a wierdo and also a genius.

Peggy: Hope you have recuperated from the flu. It is not a pleasant experience.

Karen: You have certainly had your hands full with 'invalids'. Hope everyone is feeling better now. I haven't given up on getting together. We will make it, when we get all the invalids in better shape.

Slavika: Glad that your DH is having a better day. Good that he goes out for an 'airing'
Makes for a more positive outlook. Bet you enjoyed the production of Annie. A fun show and one that kids do enjoy.

Trudy: Hope your kitchen is making progress. I'm sure that it must be frustrating.
sounds like you had fun with your .

Lily: Haven't heard from you lately. Hope all is going well.

Our spring musical show is coming along well. Had an encouraging rehearsal today. I think everyone is haveing fun with it.
We'll be going for another iron infusion this week. Then one more and he'll have another evaluation.

Time for bed. Ann
Closed Thread