Old 02-17-2005, 07:55 PM   #1  

Default Plateau?

I've changed my entire lifestyle over the last 5 weeks-- I have restricted to 1400 calories or less and I workout 4-5 days a week for 30-45mins a day. I started at 249 and last Saturday I was down to 242.5 and so excited.

Today at the gym, I weighed 244.5. Nothing unusual about this week except a Valentine's lunch out and a piece of cake yesterday. In the gym, I typically spend 20mins on the elliptical and 20 mins of weights or another 10 of biking/walking.

What would be the reason for this plateau/sudden weight gain? I'm very frustrated by this, as I know I am working hard and I feel like I should be seeing more results.

Anyone have any advice? Am I working out too much and eating too little? Or, should I be doing more t the gym?

Erin
SW: 249
CW: 244.5
GW: 170
pinkpolopony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005, 08:39 PM   #2  
Big-time loser

S/C/G: 306.6/247.2/156-164

Height: 5'8"

Erin- do you always weigh at the same time of the day with the same clothes on with the same amount of water in your body at the same time within your monthly cycle? I doubt it. I think that you should wait another week before you consider this a plateau - if at your weigh in next week, you are still at 242.5-244.5 then you should consider switching up your exercise and diet. It is possible that your body isn't getting enough calories - you might have to up your food intake. Also, make sure that you are being honest with yourself about how much you are eating. Little bites here and there can really add up and cause a stall like this. And make sure that you drink enough water during the day. At least 48 oz. I think is the lowest recommended. I know a lot of people on these boards aim for 3-4 L (102-136 oz.) per day or more! Myself, I make sure I get between 2-3 L per day (64-98 oz).
jenicra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005, 08:56 PM   #3  

Thumbs up

I do weigh myself at the same time daily, as I go to the gym immediately after work. My workout fashion doesn't vary too much, so I'm assuming it isn't the clothes either.

In regards to the calories, I'd almost feel better if I knew I were snacking-- but I'm slightly OCD about counting calories. I'm doing the Discovery National Body Challenge and using the ediets.com Nutrition Tracker. I enter every single thing I eat to the point of insanity!

My only thought is that it's the week before my "monthly special friend" comes to visit. Maybe I'm retaining water. I recently went off the pill, so this will be my first cycle without the BC hormones.

Thanks for your advice, I really appreciate it, especially from someone who's lost as much as you! I definitely DO need to up my water intake, I'm at about 36 ounces a day right now, up from 0 a few weeks ago!

Erin
pinkpolopony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2005, 12:36 PM   #4  
2blessed2Bstressed

S/C/G: 201/201/165

Height: 5'11"

Congrats Erin, on getting into shape. You are doing a great job already!
spillthebeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005, 09:34 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 198/150/140

Plateaus suck but they are an inevitable part of the weight loss thing. You probably need more calories than 1400 with your current weight and workout routine. Try bumping it up just 100 cals and keep the workouts the same. Another possibility is gaining muscle while you are losing fat so you won't see losses on the scale. You are doing great and just be patient, the rest will come off with some hard work and dedication. Don't give up!!
lizzbabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 07:15 PM   #6  
Becomming a Monster

S/C/G: 329/253/210

Height: 6'0

weighing daily will always cause weird results you should idealy weigh once a month as women are prone to water retention at different stages of the cycle. also what you eat can affect water retention i.e to much sodium not enough water. if you lift weights and really overload the muscles then they retain alot of water for a few days after as the muscle is rebuiling (thats why body builders dont' train heavily on the run up to comps

Last edited by slimmingsi; 02-24-2005 at 08:25 AM.
slimmingsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 04:51 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 198/150/140

Another good suggestion (since I could never weight myself only once a month) is to take an average over the week to take into account the weight variations. I don't find that I hold myself accountable if I slack on the scale but understanding that a couple pounds in either direction can be water weight, muscle, etc is important. As long as the general direction is downwards, that is what is important.
lizzbabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 05:06 PM   #8  
Becomming a Monster

S/C/G: 329/253/210

Height: 6'0

or only record you weight once a month i always jump on the scales when i see them but i only record on the 1st of every month
slimmingsi is offline   Reply With Quote