South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 02-17-2005, 01:24 PM   #1  
gotta lose it!

Default Exercise Question

Hi! I recently started exercise. I have been doing 30 mins cardio & I tried to do some crunches & it killed my back. Should I keep trying even though it hurts? Maybe it will get easier with time? Also has anyone tried the ab lounger? Does it work?
Thanks!!
Old 02-17-2005, 01:41 PM   #2  
A Lily from my yard!

Do you normally have back pain? Is it pain in the muscles or more like bone/joint pain? I would be very careful if I were you. I had some kind of ab thing years ago and it really worked 'em but after I had back surgery I didn't really use it that much. Please be careful with your back!
Old 02-17-2005, 01:42 PM   #3  
Gotta move my Thang!

If your back is hurting, absolutely DO NOT continue doing what's hurting it. You can set yourself up for real back problems that way.

In fact, check with your doctor, tell her what happened, and ask that she suggest an exercise that won't exacerbate the problem. If it's been ages since you've exercised, you will probably want to start extrememly slow, and just work with it. You'll see results soon enough - I actually started 2 months ago doing three crunches every other day (that's 3 actual crunches, not three sets) and when I fell off the wagon a little over a week ago I had increased to 20. Better still, I wasn't sore or miserable at all, even once. I'll probably have to start down at 15 when I get home tonight to take it up again, but I have every confidence that I'll improve as I go.

Ciao, and good luck!
Solarmama
Old 02-17-2005, 01:52 PM   #4  

I agree with Solar... but also have this to add...

the cardio may be causing fatigue on your back... if the doc says you're ok.. then you maybe you should switch it up and do your floor work first.. then your cardio...

Also.. i recommend.. Windor pilates.. they have a great ab routine.
Old 02-17-2005, 04:35 PM   #5  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Definitely check with your doctor before you do any more exercise of any kind, okay?

But once you have, as long as your doc. says it's okay, you might try Pilates (lots of videos are out there...I love Denise Austin's 20 min. Yoga/Pilates mix)...it's a gentle way to increase your ab strength. You may also try other variations of crunches...like a reverse crunch (raise your legs up and lower them), lowering your torso down from a seated position (rather than raising it up from a lowered position) etc. Your doctor may have some, or you can find some online (check with the gurus in our Exercise forum, too) and have him or her review them.

Good for you for exercising, but check with your doctor, okay?
Old 02-18-2005, 03:15 PM   #6  
beachbum

Hi: I won't excercise with a hurt back, you might do some more damage.You might want to use a heating pad on it for 20 mins than and ice pak for another 20 mins.if it muscle strain. But if your back still hurts, check with you doctor.

Hugs BB
Old 02-19-2005, 01:53 PM   #7  
gotta lose it!

Ladies, thanks for the advice! Spoke with the doctor yesterday. He's please that I'm excerising! Still on my case about taking a multi-vitamin (I can't be good all the time!) He said that I might be doing too much. He wants me to try to do cardo one day & the next my crunches. After a few weeks, if I want I can try to do the crunches in the morning & cardio later in the day.
Old 02-19-2005, 02:37 PM   #8  
A Lily from my yard!

Glad to hear all is well! Thanks for keepin us posted!
Closed Thread