Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 02-17-2005, 01:30 AM   #1  

Question Weightlifting question

Hi everyone. I was laying in bed with this question running around in my head, so I figured I might as well trudge downstairs and post it! ANY input would be much appreciated.

I've been strength training for about three years. As of January, though, I really got into heavier weights (with fewer reps) and lifting to failure by the third set. My strength has improved dramatically which was exciting until...

1. I began to notice that it's SO much harder for me to get down to my maintenance range. Every other time I've bumped up above my range, I've been able to take it off quick and easy. I know the number on the scale isn't the complete picture (and that muscle weighs more than fat), but I'm so anxious to get back to the 130s. I did it before while doing less intense strength training so I know it's possible!

2. More of a concern, my legs aren't getting smaller, their getting bigger. My pants fit everywhere, but they are tight through my thighs. That's never happened before and I'm not very happy about it.

So (finally), my question is this...should I move down to lighter weights and do more reps? I'm not interested in being ripped or cut. The long term health benefits are why strength training appeals to me.

So, again, thanks for any input you might have.

Goodnight!! (Going back to bed now.)
karynlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005, 01:18 PM   #2  
Mel

This answer will sound like heresy to some, and I would have screamed disagreement two years ago, but if you build muscle easily and are getting bigger than you want to be, drop your weight and increase your reps. I have completely changed the way I train legs in the last 6 months for the same reason, plus a few injuries. I used to go as heavy as possible, trying to set new squat and leg press records each session. I build muscle easily, and the result was quads and hamstrings that wouldn't fit in any pants no matter what my body fat reading was. Now I've lightened up a tad, do a lot of supersetting, lots of functional training, balance and plyometric training. My legs have the shape and definition that I want to see, but no longer look like oak trees. My squat and leg press numbers are not nearly as impressive, but I like the results a whole lot better.

Try incorporating jumping and balance work into your leg workout. It works a whole different set of muscle-neural connections.

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005, 05:56 PM   #3  

so much, Mel! That helps a lot.

I don't know if I build muscle easily or if my "puffiness" is from the fat layer under my new muscle. As with everything else, I just have to be patient (so hard for me) and keep working hard to reduce my body fat - AND continue to ask questions.

I talked to a couple of trainers at the gym today and they gave me some ideas, too (upping my cardio sessions by 10 minutes, changing things up (like having a cardio only week occasionally, varying my weights and reps, etc.). I've also decided to add a session of Pilates and a session or two of swimming laps just to challenge my body in some different (and no impact) ways.

I do have a question for you, Mel...hope you don't mind. How would I incorporate balance into my work out?

Thanks again.
Old 02-17-2005, 06:54 PM   #4  
Ilene the Bean

Karen I discovered this great balancing exercise for legs that I do after my leg workout...(I spied on the trainer at the gym showing someone else... shh don't tell Mel and Meg this is what I do cause I'm to "frugal" to get a trainer ... )

Anywhoo...

Take 2 bosu balls, but put them upside down, rounded side on the floor... put one foot on one then one foot on the other ...the first time you do this take a stick for balance and put it vertical in front of you like a walking stick... and then squat up and down about 50 times ... You won't know what hit you the next day! Now do the same with the same 2 bosu balls but bring itto a lunge ... I hope I'm explaining this right .... Let me know if I don't make sense.... After a few times you won't need the stick ...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005, 07:20 PM   #5  

Ilene, that totally makes sense. Thank you! Now, I just need to find out if my gym has bosu balls. I wanna try it!!
Old 02-17-2005, 08:28 PM   #6  
Mel

Do anything on either side of a bosu ball! or "air cushions"...I'm not sure what they are really called. I flip the bosu ball flat side up, stand on one leg, and touch my opposite hand down to my toe. When that gets doable, try it holding a 5 or ten pound dumbbell. Then try touching the db on the floor in front of the bosu ball. Try 15 reps, then switch feet and hands. Try squat jumps on the puffy side of the bosu ball. It's a great core workout as well as legs. Do heavy dumbbell squats with your feet on air cushions. Do one legged squats on the flat side of the bosu ball, then move to the puffy side when you've mastered that. Try all of these in a power cage with the safeties at about waist height, if you can. Unless you are a yoga expert, this stuff is hard at first.
You can use the puffy side of the bosu to do alternating leaping lunges, or leaping side lunges.

Be careful!

Mel
Old 02-18-2005, 07:57 AM   #7  

Hi:

Some great answers here. I wanted to add that I have found the rebound weight is very difficult to lose. It is like the last ten when we started, except for our patients. I am struggling to lose my rebound 10 and it has been hard. So my input is just to encourage you as well as others. I expected to see a 2 pound loss a week but in reality it is 1 pound every 2 to 3 weeks. Last weeks I was given some suggestions to help budge the scale and they helped.
Reg4242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2005, 08:13 AM   #8  
Ilene the Bean

Gina ~~ what were the suggestions, enquiry minds wanna know??
Old 02-18-2005, 09:20 AM   #9  
Queen of Wishful Thinking

S/C/G: 230/216/150

Height: 5'6

I can't wait until I get to the point where I'm too big because of muscles instead of fat

Wasn't there a thread in which people were discussing how they worked their bodies according to their shapes, to even out their builds? I did a quick search but I couldn't find it - not sure how to look for it.
2sw33t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2005, 11:33 AM   #10  

Ok, Mel and Ilene, my gym doesn't have bosu balls. I live in a small town in Idaho, so I'm not too surprised. Any other suggestions for balance exercises?

Yes, Gina, please share! You're right, this 5-10 lbs of rebound weight is being very stubborn. It has come off quickly in the past, but not this time! I think I just took for granted that I could take it right off and overindulged way too much as a result. This has been a huge lesson for me - great motivation for me to keep from going so far off the deep end again.

JCH, looks like you're well on your way. You've already made such wonderful progress. Congrats!
Old 02-18-2005, 04:33 PM   #11  

"Gina- It sounds like you just need to change SOMETHING. You could try
zig-zagging your calorie levels daily so that you hit an average of 1200 calories
increase the intensity of your cardio, but not the time or frequency
decrease your cardio, increase the intensity, and spend more time on weights
increase the intensity (poundage) of your weight training, and move to a split workout
do a combination of all or any of the above"
This is the quote from Mel to a post from last week.
Thanks for the help, I am using the intensity suggestion and spending more time on weights. I am also splitting my upper and lower body weight sessions.
Reg4242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2005, 11:39 PM   #12  
Ilene the Bean

Oh YES Gina !! Now I remember, I have a good memory but it's sometimes very short !!
Old 03-12-2005, 10:04 AM   #13  

I posted this question on Feb 16. I was totally frustrated because my weight had stalled around 148 and I felt like my thighs were expanding.

Well, it's now Mar 12. I'm down to 140 and the jeans I was in (that were tight on my thighs) are now so baggy that I need to put them away.

Reading all your responses really helped me relax and focus on being patient.

Here's what finally did the trick:

* I took a week off from weights and did six 60 min cardio workouts (I plan to do this every few weeks)
* Along with weights, my regular cardio sessions are now between 45-60 minutes rather than 30
* I added swimming sessions once or twice a week
* I'm lifting a little lighter with more reps

I want to thank you all again for your input. It is MUCH appreciated!! I wanted to post this update just in case any of you are at a frustrating point in your weight management journey like I was. Good luck and hang in there. Your efforts will pay off.
Old 03-12-2005, 10:29 AM   #14  
Meg

That's awesome, Karyn! Thanks for the update (don't you just love those baggy jeans?)
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 01:16 PM   #15  
Mel

Karyn!

Mel