Closed Thread

Old 05-17-2001, 01:18 AM   #1  

Question

Is anyone else following the 123 program, not winning points. I just can't bring myself to follow the 4 gram fiber cap. I still use the old point system , there for counting high fiber foods as lower points. Seems like they are discouraging searching out high fiber foods that are so good for us. Thoughts?
Old 05-17-2001, 08:30 AM   #2  

You might want to look at this section's history - this has been discussed a lot, especially around the first of the year when they started the new program. There was also a recent poll taken of who was using what program. I like Winning Points better, but I seem to be in the minority. I like the week 6 booklet that discusses eating style (protein eater, carbo loader, etc.) and I like the week 10 booklet that discusses the 3 square approach versus mini-meals. As far as the 4 gram fiber cap goes, I don't think it's discouraging people from finding higher fiber foods - I think some people were eating very high fiber foods and then counting the points as very low or not counting any points at all for things. However, these items do have calories and some people were having difficulty losing. Those calories can make a lot of difference (again, for some people, not all) especially when you get closer to goal. At the start of the year, weight watcher's encouraged people who were doing just fine on 123 to keep on doing 123 - it was your choice and still is. Whatever works, right?
Old 05-17-2001, 10:36 AM   #3  
Cowboy Up Chick

Default They aren't discouraging higher fiber diets....

the cap was brought into with new research on soluable and insoluable fiber. Many people were abusing the high fiber and counting hundreds of calories with high fiber as zero points and not losing.

I've sort of combined the 1-2-3 Success/10% Difference Programs wtih Winning Points for a program that fits me. For example I've always capped my fiber around 5 or 6 grams and I still do that; I do the old points break down instead of taking off the 2 points; I do the exercise with the old system (earn at least 2 a day and any more than that I get to add for food).

Change is hard (no matter what it is) and sometimes you just have to find what works for you.
Closed Thread