Old 02-02-2005, 11:06 AM   #1  

Default Singles Supporting Singles #3

Hello all you singles! Please join us for a discussion about losing weight and getting healthy as a single in a world that is often designed for two!

We are hoping to see our old regulars from before the holidays come back and join us...come back! Come back to the fold! We still wuv you!

And if you want to check back to the previous thread to get to know us a bit, click right HERE!
SheriaVa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 12:06 PM   #2  
No Uno Mas?

Default Hello

I think I posted once or twice a while ago. I'm a 30 yeard old college student trying to lose about 85 pounds. I'm on WW and planning on switching to regular calorie counting and increased exercise.
I'm on a search to find out just how many calories I need to lose weight and everywhere I go I'm told something ddifferent. I hope to get the right answer soon.
I'm looking forward to meeting new people in the same boat..single and trying to shed the extra pounds.
Christalynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 01:04 PM   #3  
shannon

Hi. I would like to join your group. The only thing is, I don't have internet at my house, so would only be able to "chat" during the week. Would this be ok?
shanberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 01:21 PM   #4  
No Uno Mas?

Shannon,

Hello! I don't think they would mind if you could only post during the week.
Old 02-02-2005, 01:54 PM   #5  

Welcome back, Christina, good to see you again! I think I might be able to help you on determining how many calories you need to eat. I will look up where I think that information is and get back to you.

Shannon, welcome! Of course, you can post any time! We would love to have you join us. There used to be considerably more people posting regularly to this thread last fall but, once the holidays hit, they all disappeared and have not reappeared.

But we can build a new group! It doesn't take a large group to support one another...and in fact sometimes it's easier to keep up with the discussion when it's a smaller group. So everyone, feel free to chime in!

About me...I'm 52 years old and single, living in the Washington DC suburbs. I've been eating healthy and exercising regularly since July 1, 2003. I do not follow or belong to any formal plan or program; I eat lowfat and low calorie and high fiber, whole grains vs. white, fresh veggies & fruits every day, and drink lots of water. I exercise 5 days a week; 3 days of cardio (45 minutes or more each) and 2-3 days of toning or weights (30 minutes or more each).

As of July 1, 2004, I had lost 35 pounds. Since then, I've pretty much been gaining and losing the same 3 pounds! I have reduced my cholesterol dramatically and am still plugging away, despite 2004 being much more about maintaining my weight loss than accomplishing NEW weight loss. I'm recommitting myself to getting my weight loss jumpstarted again in 2005 so that I can be back on the way to reaching my goal weight.

I think why I spent so much of 2004 not losing weight breaks down into a couple of reasons: 1) my age (the ol' metabolism is NOT our friend when we get over 40, kids); 2) meds I take; 3) my love of sweets (I am quite disciplined, actually, but when I fall off the wagon, it is almost always with sweets); and 4) I don't eat enough calories some days (I tend to cut back TOO much).

Sorry this is so long!
Old 02-02-2005, 01:59 PM   #6  

Default For Christina (and FYI for everyone)

Christina: This is from the book "Fight Fat After Forty" by Dr. Pamela Peeke. Like you said, there are a lot of formulas out there and they're all different, but this woman's specialty is weight loss so I trust her formula. Hope you're ready for some math homework! LOL

EXCERPTED FROM FIGHT FAT AFTER FORTY BY DR. PEEKE

RESTING METABOLIC RATE & CALORIC NEEDS

1. What is your weight in pounds?

2. What is your weight in kilograms? (divide weight in lbs by 2.2)

3. What is your height in inches?

4. What is your height in centimeters? (multiply height in inches by 2.54)

5. What is your age?

6. Insert weight in kilograms, height in centimeters, & age into the following equation:

(10 x weight in kilograms) + (6.25 x weight in centimeters) – (5 x age) – 161

7. The answer is your RMR (resting metabolic rate). (Your RMR is the # of calories your body needs just to breathe & function at rest.)
Example: A woman 41 years old, weights 180lbs & is 5ft 4 in.
(180 divided by 2.2 = 81.8 or 82) (5ft 4in = 64 in. times 2.54 = 162.56 or 163 centimeters)

(10 x 82) + (6.25 x 163) – (5 x 41) – 161 =
(820) + (1018.75) – (205) – 161 = 1472.75 or 1473 calories

To figure your caloric needs based on your activity level:

1. Figure out your activity level & use the appropriate # below as a multiplier.
(65% of Americans are in the “a” category)
a. if you are in the sedentary to light category, multiply your RMR by 1.4
(ie: desk job)
b. if you are in the moderate category, multiply your RMR by 1.6
(ie: light lifting & walking)
c. if you are in the strenuous category, multiply your RMR by 1.9
(ie: heavy lifting or using heavy machinery – raise a sweat every day)

RMR x activity level = calories needed to maintain current weight.
(Example from above: 1473 x 1.4 = 2062.2 or 2062 calories

2. To lose weight, subtract up to but not more than 500 calories from your maintenance calories calculated in step one. Do not go below 1200 calories per day or you will slow down you metabolism! Add physical activity to your routine to improve your fitness level. Physical activity builds muscle & muscle burns more calories.
Old 02-02-2005, 02:06 PM   #7  
No Uno Mas?

SheriaVa- uh, thanks for all the equations I am so glad that I have a scientific calculator
Old 02-02-2005, 02:47 PM   #8  
shannon

Thanks for the invite!

About me...I am 30 yrs old. I lost 30lbs on Weight Watchers online, but decided to try it on my own. I have managed to loose another 10 lbs. (I keep loosing and gaining the same two or three, too!) I don't really follow a plan. I count my calories, alternating between 1700 and 1900 a day. I exerce at least 5 times a week-sometimes less if I have to work over. For the first time in a long time I am mere inches away from dropping below the 260 mark. That is my goal for this month. So far, I haven't done very well...no idea why.

Anyway, that is my story. I look forward to posting with you ladies!
Old 02-02-2005, 08:44 PM   #9  

Default hi

hi singles! thanks sheriva for starting the new thread. i guess the idea worked. welcome christalynn and shanberg. i'm glad you can join us. like sheriva said earlier, it's been very quiet since the holidays.

i am 39, single and live in corning, ny. i was following ww, but they cancelled the daytime meetings in my area. i work 2nd shift, so i can't attend an evening meeting. i had just started back to ww too. i was really disappointed they cancelled. the past year i have been having medical problems, so i've gained the 30lbs that i had previous lost. i couldn't exercise for a while and what an impact that had. my body didn't wait till 40 to decide to have a break down. anyways, i am getting things straightened out slowly but surely and need to get crackin'. i just got a playstation and that dance dance revolution game for exercise. i actually haven't had time to try it yet, but i will open it this weekend. i hear it's great fun. i also ordered that urban rebounder (trampoline) that is on tv. now i can get my butt movin'.

i am off from work tonite so i guess i'd better go get something accomplished. will check back tomorrow. have a great thursday!
kathy
corningkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2005, 09:30 AM   #10  
shannon

Default Checking in

Hi, all.

Not sure how this works, but thought I'd check in and say hello.

Had a good eating day yesterday. I was actually below my calorie limit, though. I had pizza on Sunday, so I am having to make up for it.

Didn't exercise. Have been working 10 to 11 hours a day at work and I just don't have the energy. Will hopefully get back on that horse over the weekend.

Hope everyone is doing well. Will check back later.
Old 02-03-2005, 04:57 PM   #11  
No Uno Mas?

Hello,

How is everyone?
I finally got Walk Away The Pounds. This particular one is for 3 miles. I haven't done more than two. I hope I can make it. Is there anything to do for stretch marks? They are appearing like crazy..that can be a good and bad thing
Old 02-03-2005, 10:24 PM   #12  

Default hi

hi singles! home again! my dr. said i have vertigo from a sinus infection. it's a very strange feeling. like when you just get off a amusement park ride.

christalynn - i have been doing the 2 mile tape. the next one in my series is 4 mile. i haven't gotten that far yet. i've had stretch marks as far back as i can remember. if you find an answer let me know.

shanberg - i burned myself out last year working 2 jobs. i was always too tired to take time for myself. i vowed not to do that this year. i told the 2nd job i would fill in once in a while. i loved working there (a little family mini mart). i wish i could work it full time with good pay.

well, my medicine makes me tired, so off to nap i go. have a good friday!
kathy
corningkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2005, 10:30 AM   #13  
shannon

Default Morning

Morning all.

Hope everyone is well. Managed to do really good with my eating yesterday. Stayed well within my calorie range. Still too tired to exercise.

Kathy- working two jobs is always hard! I hate it that you are sick and having side effects! It's hard enough just having the symptoms without an added issue! Hope you get to feeling better soon!

Christalynn - Congrats on the walking. I use a treadmill. If I don't have that belt going under my feet, I zone out and find myself standing still!!! As for stretch marks, the only thing I can think of is the lotion used by pregnant women during the last stages of pregnancy (and, of course, I can't remember the name of it-I've never been pregnant!). You can probably find it in the Health isle at Wal-Mart or Kmart. You might have to ask someone!

Won't be checking back in until Monday. Hope everyone has a great weekend. Enjoy the superbowl and watch the chips and dips!
Old 02-04-2005, 07:33 PM   #14  

Hello all! Sorry I haven't been around...I have had the flu and haven't been logging on very much. I also haven't been working out and I'm feeling very guilty about that! I have had dizzyness with the flu, so jumping around doing Tae-Bo would NOT be a very wise move, but I really could have done some abs or arm work today but I just didn't get motivated. Tomorrow is a MUST cuz I really try to never go more than 2 days w/o exercise!

Christine: I use Walk Away the Pounds quite a bit and have for over a year. I started out with a 3-DVD set (1-, 2- and 4-mile) which was apparently filmed back in the 80s (big hair and lots of spandex! hehe). It was a good place to start but I MUCH prefer the more modern DVDs I've picked up this past year...I have a 3-mile WATP with hand weights, a 3-mile WATP with stretchy band and a 4-mile WATP with no accoutrements. All three are very good but I prefer the 3-mile with stretchy band and the 4-mile. Those two have the same large group of walkers who are very enthusiastic and a lot of them are my age or closer to my age which is encouraging!

Kathy: I look forward to hearing how you like Dance Dance Revolution. I have heard great things about it! Have you received and tried out your rebounder yet? How does that work for ya? I can imagine you could do that while you're watching TV! I SO wish I had room for a treadmill or elliptical so I could work out while I watch TV cuz I am a terrible reality TV junkie!

Shannon: Best of luck on reaching that 260 goal! YOU CAN DO IT!
Old 02-04-2005, 09:45 PM   #15  

Talking

Hi All,

I'm glad I stumbled along this thread. I'm back on the wagon and looking towards losining approx. 40lbs. I lost 30 lbs a couple of years ago, gained it back and then some. Well, I joined a gym, got sick, and stopped going regularly. I am tired of making 'donations' to my gym and ready to do the dang thing. lol. I've tried finding support in the area, but my friends seem to fall through. I'm glad I found you guys.

Christalynn: I've found vitamin E and coco butter to be helpful. Just rub it on the marks, and the gradually go away. Drinking plenty of water also helps. The only thing is if they have been there for a long period of time, they will usually fade but won't go away.
Ms Sassi is offline   Reply With Quote