Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Closed Thread

Old 05-14-2001, 09:42 AM   #1  

Angry

Welcome to the new thread!

I hope everyone had a great weekend!

I didn't get to the gym, but I did do an Arms+Abs tape on Sunday. I wanted to fit in a Pilates workout, but didn't have time. Ate well, and found a new recipe for light chicken salad, which I'm having for lunch today in a whole wheat pita. A funny side note: DH and I have both overspent on our "play money" recently, so have been very budget minded -- which I've found is good for the waistline! Instead of going out for big brunches + evening dinner/drinks on the weekend, we end up taking walks + eating homemade meals! I should overspend every month!

Today: went to the gym for 30 mins on the bike this morning -- had to use the regular bike instead of the recumbent bike...never again! I HATE the regular bike! It feels weird, and frankly, makes my butt sore! Also, my heart rate was too high the whole time, even though it didn't feel like my legs were working that hard.
Anyways. Today I'm planning on doing a legs tape when I get home -- probably Crunch: Brand New Butt to balance the Crunch Arms/Abs tape I did yesterday. Then I'll switch back to the Firms for the remainder of the week.
My tentative plan for this week:
Monday: (AM) 30 minutes r. bike
(PM) Crunch: Brand New Butt
Tuesday: (AM) 30 mins bike
(PM) Firm: Upper Body
Wednesday: (AM) 30 mins bike
(PM) Firm: Lower Body Sculpting
Thursday: (AM) 30 mins bike
(PM) Minna Lessing: Strength + Grace
Friday: rest day
I'm going to try to fit in some abs whenever I have time, since the tapes I'm using throughout the week don't have any ab work. I also might tack on a short Pilates or Yoga workout if I'm feeling up to it. I picked easy meals to make this week, so I'd have time to workout + not feel like I had to rush into the kitchen. Cooking Light (April issue?) has some great recipes for chicken thighs (which I couldn't find deboned, so used breasts instead, but nevermind )!
Anyway, LONG post! Hope you all are well, and welcome to the brand new day!
Old 05-14-2001, 10:19 AM   #2  
Earth Shattering Kaboom!

Default Happy Monday!

Well, I didn't start the day off right (I slept in!), but the weekend is over at least! Saturday was a huge diet disaster! We went to look at "ready-to-move houses", not, ahem, modular.... (the difference is that the rtm houses are not moved in sections (modules) and are instead completely built and then moved on site) I was thrilled with them, and it looks like that's definitely the way to go.... Anyway, we then stopped at a charity bbq for a coworker of dh's that has colitis ~ I had two burgers! Then, we stopped at the grocery store, and MIL, who came with us to look at the houses, bought a box of turtles ice cream bars, which of course, we had to eat on the way home so they didn't melt! Damn naturally skinny MIL! Anyway, then I had a meatlovers pizza for dinner!

Yesterday was not so bad. Needless to say, I wasn't very hungry all day, as a result of Saturday... I had both mothers over for a big turkey dinner, and all went well. We did have apple pie for dessert, but I had done a bunch of sweaty yardwork and housecleaning earlier in the day, so I'm not worried about that.

I have also made a decision, and it's all because of dh. I was whining about how badly I ate on Saturday, and he mentioned that weighing in today (monday) wouldn't be a good idea... He's right. I always weighin immediately after a bad weekend, and I'm thinking that I should weigh in the middle or the end of the week. I don't really have a problem with my eating and exercise in the middle of the week, so I think that I'll feel better all around if I don't weigh on Monday anymore! Thoughts?

Well, there's my novel! I am looking forward to a week of healthy eating, and a minimum of four Curves workouts!
Old 05-15-2001, 09:47 AM   #3  

Marvin: I think it's a great idea to switch your weigh-in day! I personally always weigh on Friday for the same reasons you've mentioned -- the bad weekends! Also, because I frequently end up going out on Friday or Saturday, I'm often retaining water over the weekend, and the number on the scale is enough to traumatize me!
It sounds like you had a fun weekend -- and as that's your "treat" eating, rather than everyday eating, I think you're doing just fine. I have weekends like that too -- I don't want to make a habit of it, but I think those bumps (and getting up over them) are part of the process as a whole.

Stamper: how's the week going? I think last week you mentioned doing some yoga this week? I'm interested in incorporating some yoga into my routine, since I've heard such good things about it. Have you been enjoying it? Do you find it to be effective?

My update: well, of course you know that writing my plan down specifically jinxed me immediately. I should have known better! Yesterday I came home and immediately crashed, no legs workout. ALSO, I stayed up REALLY late trying to finish a review I was writing, so didn't go to the gym this morning. ALSO, yesterday I broke in a new pair of shoes -- which not only gave me blisters, but completely SHREDDED the back of my heel! So that takes me out of gym commission for at least part of this week, since I can't wear any shoes with backs (yes, it really is that bad -- I'm wearing sandals all week). Gah!! I don't know what the **** is going on, but I think I'm cursed.
Anyway, trying to salvage the situation, I'm going to try to stick to some workouts for which I don't need shoes -- like my weights/sculpting workouts at night -- and hope that carries me through this low-cardio week. Foo.
Old 05-15-2001, 10:50 AM   #4  
Earth Shattering Kaboom!

Okay, Copperblu, you are hereby forbidden to post a strict schedule from here on in! Sounds like you really did a number on your feet! Ouch! Sometimes I just hate shoes, don't you? GASP! No, I didn't really mean that..... honest!

I'm feeling a little better about my weekend now ~ totally slipped my mind that TOM was coming! I'm getting so absent-minded! So, more munchies yesterday, but I still feel skinnier.... I guess that's what really counts, right? I also skipped Curves, but instead rode my stationary bike at home....

So, I am going to officially move to a Thursday weighin... why Thursday, you ask? Well, I often have Fridays off, and wouldn't have access to Curves to weighin on those days, so Thursday is the next best thing....

I'm looking forward to hearing about your experiences with yoga, Stamper. I have only tried it the once, and it was too advanced for me. I'd like to take a class, but the only ones around here are during the day, while I'm at work.... Maybe someday.....

Have a good day!
Old 05-15-2001, 02:59 PM   #5  

Default Newbie!

Hi everyone,

This is my first post on the forum! I excercise 6 days a week so I'd like to join your little group!

I am a tried and true Firm video user but right now I am using Cathe Friedrich tapes. She really kicks butt!

My eating could use some help so that is why I am on the forum. My real weakness is sweets. I hope to get a lot of motivation to not eat that stuff!
Old 05-15-2001, 03:35 PM   #6  

Marvin: Never again! From now on I must be vague, vague, vague!!
TOM? I knew it! Okay, well, I didn't know, but at this point I'm ready to place bets on it when one of us starts talking about how she couldn't stop eating + had a whole bag of chips or whatever! Like the schedules + the scale, we should know by now!

Mikenbex: Welcome!! We try to exercise + eat healthily every day -- don't always succeed , but that's our goal. To live each day as best we can, and to try to stay active regularly.
I'm also a Firm user, though I've been wimping out on the harder tapes lately since I started doing cardio in the morning. I find it makes me too tired to motivate for a full workout at night, so I've been doing the shorter Parts tapes. I'm hoping to gradually build up my endurance so that I can do my weekday cardio + still have the energy to come home and do a long Firm cardio/sculpt tape. But as I mentioned to Marvin, now I'm wary of posting any specific plans -- since they always seem to go awry!
Anyway, welcome to the thread -- I think it's great that you're working out 6x a week (and to Cathe, no less!!), and it's great to see another Firmie here!
Old 05-15-2001, 03:49 PM   #7  

Default Spicy Yogurt-Marinated Chicken w/Couscous

Also, I forgot! I hope you don't mind me taking up bandwidth, but I made this recipe from Cooking Light last night and it was SO GOOD that I wanted to share! I know we're all always on the lookout for good lowfat/lowcal recipes, and this is a winner! Since I didn't have chicken thighs, I made it w/chicken breasts, which turned out very well (also, incidentally, the breasts add less fat than the thighs). I served this with some steamed spinach as well, for extra greens.

Spicy Yogurt-Marinated Chicken With Couscous

FOR 2 SERVINGS:
Chicken:
1/4 cup plain fat-free yogurt
2 teaspoons grated lemon rind
1-1/2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon curry powder
1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
4 (4-ounce) skinless, boneless chicken thighs
Cooking spray
Couscous:
1 cup fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
3/4 cup uncooked couscous
2 tablespoons currants
1 tablespoon sliced green onion tops
1/4 teaspoon black pepper

Since this recipe marinates overnight, all you need to do when you get home from work is preheat the broiler and start cooking the chicken. In the meantime, you can make the couscous.

1. To prepare chicken, combine the first 11 ingredients in a large zip-top plastic bag. Seal and marinate in refrigerator 24 hours, turning bag occasionally. Remove chicken from bag, discard marinade.

2. Preheat broiler.

3. Place the chicken thighs on a broiler pan coated with cooking spray. Broil 4 inches from heat for 10 minutes or until a meat thermometer registers 180 degrees.

4. To prepare the couscous, bring the broth to a boil in a medium saucepan, and gradually stir in couscous. Remove from heat; cover and let stand for 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork. Stir in the currants, onions, and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper. Yield: 2 servings (serving size: 2 thighs and 1 cup couscous).

CALORIES 490 (19% from fat); FAT 10.5g (sat 2.5g, mono 3.1g, poly 3g); PROTEIN 53.9g; CARB 42.5g; FIBER 2.5g; CHOL 189mg; IRON 3.8mg; SODIUM 746mg; CALC 61mg
Old 05-16-2001, 10:11 AM   #8  
Earth Shattering Kaboom!

Default Morning.... :(

Had a terrible night last night ~ got home, and discovered two dead turkeys ~ the puppy got into the pen again.... So, we ended up putting her down. We tried to get her a new home, but it just didn't happen. It doesn't help that TOM is here, and I'm full of cramps and mood swings, and such...

Anyway, I skipped Curves again last night because of the cramping ~ I swear I almost died in the grocery store on the way home! Thankfully, I don't often get bad cramps, but that's what Midol is for, right? I did get on the bike for a little while last night after those magical pills took effect, but I spent a lot of time huddled on the couch in dh's arms...

Welcome Mikenbex! I'm usually quite a bit more upbeat, but I'm sure you'll understand! Copperblu and I have a great thing going here, and every little bit of extra support helps a lot. I don't feel so much an obligation to exercise for this thread, but it's more of a feeling that I know that Copperblu will be proud of me, even when I'm not ~ and vice-versa. I guess that's what I looked for from 3FC ~Support.

Ok, I'm gonna try not to be so serious now ~ ~ I ate pretty well yesterday, and I'm all planned out for today too. I'm making your enchilada pie tonight, Copperblu, except I'm subbing leftover turkey for the chicken.... (we had turkey for Mom's Day on Sunday) I can't wait for dinner! About the above recipe.... I've never had couscous before ~ what is it like? The chicken sounds fabulous! But dh would never eat it!

Guess I'm gonna have to invest in some Firms tapes, huh? Otherwise, I'll really get lost in your conversations! Well, maybe not... I don't have great success in using exercise tapes. I guess Curves is still my best solution!

So, I've written my daily novel and now, I'll sign off. Talk to ya both later....
Old 05-16-2001, 10:14 AM   #9  
Earth Shattering Kaboom!

Default Oh yeah ~ I forgot to say....

.... that I am wearing a pair of overalls that I couldn't wear before! And I feel like I'm swimming in them! Of course, I'm not really swimming in them, but they do feel so much looser than before, that the first thing I thought of this morning when I put them on was ~ Did I put on someone else's clothes?

Just had to mention that! Oh, happy day!
Old 05-16-2001, 04:50 PM   #10  

Hi Marvin!

I'm so sorry to hear about your puppy! That's horrible! You must be wrecked!

To move to more upbeat talk -- I'm glad to hear you're eating well, especially with TOM in town. About the couscous -- it's a Middle Eastern small grain pasta, kind of seems like rice pilaf in a way. You can buy instant versions of it in the grocery store, or just use an instant pilaf instead. Believe me, the chicken doesn't taste "interesting", or any of the other words my DH uses to describe some of my more adventurous dishes. (he's a real meat-and-potatoes Midwestern Guy -- I put apples in my chicken salad the other day and it freaked him out). Just tasty chicken! I swear! He won't even know. My own "vanilla" DH loved it!
And...CONGRATS ON THE OVERALLS!! How GREAT! And such a nice pick-me-up when you're feeling bloated + icky. All your hard work is paying off!!

My update: guess who didn't exercise last night?! I figured it out though (I am so dumb)...why can I not stop putting stuff in my mouth? Why am I so tired? Why do I feel so fat? Why am I especially hostile towards those other idiots on the subway? Could it be...because I'm PMS-ing?! Why yes! I ALWAYS forget it starts so early, and invariably I start acting weird -- eating a LOT, coming home exhausted and crashing on the couch, and getting really annoyed at my fellow commuters in the morning (it's always annoying, but I hate them more than usual) -- and wonder why I am so off....and then, ta-da, it's 8-9 days before TOM -- basically the second I start on the 3rd week of my tri-phasils (the ones right before the sugar pills). Like writing down the schedule -- it's like the whole room should fill in with the punchline at this point, the joke's so old. I guess I forget because it's not as bad as it used to be -- I used to start 10 days ahead and HATE EVERYONE and start fights and cry and yell and have pre-cramps and back pain and generally be a wreck until I was curled up whimpering in pain on my bed, finally feeling sane just in time for the physical fun. Compared to that, I feel pretty normal. So for the first day or so, I just think "gosh I'm acting funny", and don't put it together. Duh.

Anyway, I think we know the drill by now -- PMS=2 workouts this week + bad eating. I'll try to fight it, but I fear it's now my destiny.

And that's MY novel. And a half!
Old 05-17-2001, 10:02 AM   #11  
Earth Shattering Kaboom!

You know what they say about women in close proximity to each other, right? They will start to "cycle" together! And look at us both munching away, growling at anyone who comes near... I think we just have to accept that for a few days out of every month, we're gonna eat and eat and eat.... I guess we just have to try and overeat on the good stuff!

I'm gonna have to give this recipe a try... I made your enchilada pie last night, with the turkey and I thought it was great! DH however, decided that this time he didn't like it... Oh well, he ended up with leftovers from the other day. I'll think about trying that yogurt chicken in a week or two, when this latest "disaster" blows over. Gotta give him a little time to recover!

Anyway, I made it to Curves last night, even though I really did want to skip again. And just like my friend at work told me, I felt so much better having done it! I should know that by now, but it's sometimes hard to be motivated.... which is why I post here in the first place...

Looking forward to Curves today, more of your pie for lunch (sounds sinful when I type it that way ), and a generally good day all around! Oh yeah, and the season finale of er tonight too!

PS: It's my new official weigh in day today, so I'll post my results tomorrow... I'm not expecting anything because of TOM, and I'm feeling more bloated today than I did yesterday, but, we'll see.................
Old 05-17-2001, 10:17 AM   #12  

Marvin: I know, we must be picking up on pheremone changes over the Internet! Sigh. I've just learned to accept it, I think. Basically I'm going to do this every month, and I know that our metabolism gets a boost around that time to compensate -- I never gain from a PMS binge, so there's no reason to freak out if all of a sudden I desperately need some potato chips. Though I do try, like you said, to have healthier versions of my "cravings" foods in the house -- but not so healthy they don't satisfy the monster!

I've had a few recipe disasters w/DH lately as well, and I always feel bad about it. But then again, if he weren't so picky... I think that's why we tend to make the same recipes repeatedly -- because we don't want to go out + buy a bunch of groceries + spend a lot of time making something that people won't eat. If I know DH will eat meatloaf, then I'm much more inclined to stick to what works. But I keep trying -- because we'll never find something else he might like if we don't try! Besides -- he doesn't like it? -- more for me!

Good for you for going to Curves! I KNOW how hard it is to go workout when you really don't want to, even though we know it will make us feel better! I always feel extra puffed up w/pride when I make it through a workout I was going to skip.

Speaking of which...I worked out last night! Finally! And I was going to skip it too! But I ended up doing my Firm Parts: Lower Body Sculpting, and I felt SO much better for having done it. I also tacked on a segment from 5-Day Abs, and WOW was that hard. But I felt good knowing I'd get to poste that I exercised today, rather than having to own up to another empty day. The forum really does work!

Hope everyone's having a good week, and that we haven't lost Stamper + Mikenbex!
Old 05-18-2001, 09:38 AM   #13  

Update: Didn't work out last night. Such a bad week! I don't know if I'll be posting again today, because I have to leave @ noon for (yay!) a colposcopy. Should be as fun as a barrel of monkeys! A barrel of half-starved, rabid, angry monkeys who have just been poked with sharp sticks. Whee.
Old 05-18-2001, 11:21 AM   #14  
Earth Shattering Kaboom!

A colposcopy? I admit that I didn't know what the heck that was until I looked it up with my handy Google search toolbar.... I hope all goes well.... damn these female parts! Let me know what happens, kay?

Weighin yesterday was a gain, as expected.... I'm up to 157.5 now, but I feel that it's water from TOM, so I'm not changing my signature just yet. I'll see what next week brings. I did get in a pretty good workout last night, and actually had time last night for a relaxing bath, and a manicure & pedicure! It's been so long since I painted my nails that I had forgotten how much I like the way they look! Boy, do I feel pretty today!

This Monday is Victoria Day in Canada, so we're off, and the Town that I work in has their annual parade and kids rodeo then too, so I'll be away until Tuesday! DH is driving the float for his workplace, and my Inlaws are coming up with me to watch the parade, and then we're going for a picnic, so that should be a lot of fun.

I'll try to check in later today to see if you've been in, but otherwise, I'll see you on Tuesday morning! Hope you have a great weekend!
Old 05-18-2001, 03:09 PM   #15  

Marvin: Sounds like you had a great relaxing night! You deserve it! You're being so good! (and so much better than bad old me ).
Go have a fun weekend! It sounds like a great one!

News: well, this might be veering into TMI (too much information), but -- I didn't end up getting the colposcopy today. It turns out that the woman who examined me last time took only one pap smear (I have 2 cervixes -- it's wacky), so instead I got 2 pap smears so they could be sure which one the abnormal pap was coming from + if it actually involved both cervixes. So now, based on the results, I probably have to go back for the colposcopy. Yay yay yay. Plus, they kept me waiting for OVER AN HOUR. Plus I am totally PMSing hormonal + sleep-deprived (thanks to a snoring DH), and I am just emotionally OVERWROUGHT in addition.

Oh well, I guess I should just be glad I didn't have to have the colposcopy today. Suckiness deferred + all that.
Closed Thread