WW Food and Point Issues ...other than recipes

Closed Thread

Old 02-05-2001, 11:31 PM   #1  

We're looking forward to a fun vacation, but hoping not to undo our WW accomplishments! Any ideas for enjoying meals at WDW without adding pounds? I'd love specific restaurant suggestions, if anyone has any. Has anyone computed points for any WDW meals?
Many thanks!
Old 02-05-2001, 11:36 PM   #2  
Cowboy Up Chick

There is a site that had the info. Let me see if I can find the thread.
Old 02-06-2001, 12:50 AM   #3  
Is is spring yet??

My advice is to get as much walking in as possible (not a hard thing to do in WDW actually). I went a few years ago and while I didn't track (I was going to WW) - I ate what I liked (didn't go overboard) and still managed to lose 1lb when I got home. I am sure it was from all the walking we did (and swimming!).

Drink alot of water - but its pricey in the parks - but to me it was worth it. I love water and stayed hydrated and I think it made me less hungry too.

Have a good time!! Tara

------------------
[email protected]

Failure is not falling down, failure is staying down!
Old 02-06-2001, 03:22 AM   #4  

While it doesn't give WW points, wdwig.com has almost every menu on property listed. You can get a rough idea what's out there and with a little bit of effort calculate points yourself.

Also, the folks at Disney are wonderfully accomodating with special requests...

Melissa
Old 02-06-2001, 09:35 AM   #5  

Great advice so far - drink plenty of water, walk, and don't be afraid to make special requets.

The fast food at WDW is, well, pretty fast food-y. However, at sit down restaurants you should be able to find items that fit within WW points, or make special requests to accomodate your needs.

It's been a while since I've visited a WDW park, even though I grew up in Central Florida - I recall that the Japanese Pavillion at Epcot had a nice fast food restaurant with Noodle Bowls, sushi, etc. The hotels on WDW property usually have incredible restaurants, and as noted above, you should be able to make requests as to cooking methods and substitutions. Many of the restaurants feature great seafood dishes, which are usually on the healthy side.

I would also recommend packing some healthy breakfast items and snacks. If you're staying near a grocery store, stock up on bottled water, fruit, yogurt, etc.

Hope you have a great time!

-- Tally
Old 02-07-2001, 01:05 AM   #6  

Great suggestions, everyone. I had been thinking I would suffer without regular workouts-- forgot how much walking we'll be doing! Special requests sound like the answer if nothing on the menu is appropriate.
Many thanks!
Old 02-07-2001, 08:38 AM   #7  
Puds mum!

My husband and I went to disneyland in california and I am the kind of person who gains a lb a day or more when not eating right and I left at 177 lbs and came home at 177 lbs! There was so much walking I just ate whatever I wanted because I pretty much had no willpower and didn't gain an ounce eating out every meal and snacking all day long!!!
Old 02-07-2001, 11:39 PM   #8  
Getting better every day!

We went to WDW last October-I'll share some tips. By the time we went, I had lost 46 lbs and was determined not to undo what I had worked so hard for. We stayed at All-Star Movies and had a great time. Basically, I didn't journal anything. I trusted myself and what I knew.
A few things I did do-
I brought along a bag of snacks for everyone for the hotel room and added some 2pt and 3pt bars for myself. If I was really hungry before a meal, I would have one and it really helped.
I made sure I had skim milk with each breakfast. I think I also had OJ each morning too.
When we ate meals, I made a conscious decision about the content of the meal-I steered clear of fatty foods, like fries or funnel cakes. I just ate good, filling foods. We walked ALOT, which helped.
Also, on the first day, I bought a water bottle, I think it was $2.50! When it was empty, I filled it up at a water fountain. Eventually, I purchased a water bottle strap for $3.00 (an inexpensive souvenir)so I didn't have to carry the bottle.
We had an absolutely wonderful time and my daughter and I actually cried when we left! I hope you have an equally wonderful time.
The best part is that my weight was EXACTLY the same when I returned.
Good luck and have fun!

------------------
Donna
[email protected] (work)
[email protected](home)
Old 02-07-2001, 11:42 PM   #9  
Getting better every day!

I forgot to mention that in Steve Birnbaum's book, he lists the restaurants which have healthier options. We also had the Unofficial Guide to WDW which was even more helpful that Birnbaum's Official Book. It includes comments about attractions which Disney might not approve of.
Enjoy!

------------------
Donna
[email protected] (work)
[email protected](home)
Old 02-08-2001, 05:48 AM   #10  

Here's my tip: many of the restaurants serve "kid's meals" that include a beverage. You save on points (smaller portions) and cost. I got through Epcot, the Magic Kingdom, and Seaworld on that tip. I also put my water bottle in the freezer every night so that it was frozen in the a.m. Then I added water at water fountains.

Have a great trip!

------------------
There are many paths up the mountain but we'll all reach the peak if we just keep climbing.
Old 02-08-2001, 09:32 PM   #11  

An idea for getting in your water....invest $6 in a Brita water bottle with sipper top (found mine at Target). We went to WDW in Oct. and the sipper was great. I filled it at water fountains and had filtered water all day long without paying the $2.50 per bottle that they charge. Their water fountain water has an off taste to it. The Brita has a filter unit that snaps into the cap and as you squeeze the bottle the water is filtered as you sip.
Old 02-10-2001, 05:57 AM   #12  

Living so close, we go over to Disney quite frequently.

I "think" that they put a little "apple" next to the restaurant name in the park maps when that restaurant serves some healthier choices, though I may be wrong.

Wonders of Life (in EPCOT) has a restaurant with some real healthy (and yummy!)selections. Most of the restaurants offer salads, now, too. The Japanese restaurant referred to in a previous post is called the "Yakitori House," and it IS really good -- we eat there every trip.

Also at EPCOT, the LAND pavillion has a "Sunshine Food Fair," (or something like that) that has a LOT of choices -- baked potatoes, etc.

I think you can find something fairly healthy at each park, and Deb Willis' website, mentioned earlier, is the best place on the web to find menus, and they're updated frequently!

Have a great time -- we'll be there the last week of April -- can't wait.

[This message has been edited by Beth27 (edited 02-09-2001).]
Old 02-10-2001, 10:20 AM   #13  

We went to WDW for our first time a year ago October. DH and I split meals and did a lot of walking. Most meals are really to big for one person anyway. We tried to stick with grilled fish and "lighter" items, while avoiding anything " fried, sauteed, alfredo,
etc." I took along some of the Kashi good friends cereal and got fruit for snacks in the room. I think the walking was really the key. Have a great time! Michele
Old 02-16-2001, 10:10 PM   #14  

WHEN MY DAUGHTER AND I WENT T WDW WE GOT THESES FANNY PACKS WITH A WATER BOTTLE AND SO WHEN IT GOT EMPTY WE JUST FILLED IT AT A FOUNTAIN AND SAVED MONEY THERES WATER FOUNTAINS EVER WERE HOPE YOU DONT MIND ME BUTTING IN
SHIRLEY
Old 02-21-2001, 04:35 AM   #15  

Forgive me if this has been posted already, but if you go to this website: www.wdwig.com
they have most of the restaurant menus posted. Look in "Menus" under the "Dining Around the World" heading, or something like that! You'll find it! It might help you choose one restaurant over the other, and be prepared for what you want to bank your points for, etc. I'm currently planning a trip to Disneyworld for this summer, so I have been checking out this site a lot! Have fun!!!

[This message has been edited by TexasMom (edited 02-20-2001).]
Closed Thread