Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 01-14-2005, 12:37 PM   #1  

Default Discovering the problem?

I've been on my weight loss journey since Sept of 2004. I've lost at/around 35lbs and am VERY excited and proud.

Now, of course, over the holidays, everything fell into a very relaxed, not paying attention mode. I feasted on cookies and sweets, had bad carbs (I do a modified South Beach Diet), ice cream and the like. And through the 4 weeks of such naughty behaviour, did not gain a single pound!

Now in January, I have gone back to eating more sensibly, but still have problems with some bad choices sneaking in now - but overall, the eating style is definitely better than my Dec. routine, and my scale has tipped up 4lbs. Now I know four lbs is nothing to freak over, but this is the first time four and a half months, that I have stopped moving slowly downward, and tipped up a bit to hover at a higher weight.

I am at the TOM right now, but it ended a day ago and still I am not dropping back down to where I was. It's especially frustrating because my goal of 150 was only three lbs away as of last week (the reward being riding lessons which keep getting put off now because I am going back up) and now I am back to seven pounds away.

How can I figure out what the problem is? So that I can fix it and get back on the right track?
lilwolfe006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 03:35 PM   #2  

Height: 5'9

Well, my dear, you're weight is going to fluctuate due to natural responses in your body. There's nothing that you can do about that. Did you ever think that maybe you are gaining muscle? Muscle weighs more than fat, so that may be what's going on.
cemetarysiren25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2005, 10:20 PM   #3  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Hey, Wolfie,
I've seen you around here for awhile, and I'm sure glad you lost all that weight! Good for you!

Well, you went through four weeks of eating the naughty food, and it could be that it's catching up with you now instead of showing up at the time. You probably need to get back on the strict program. Those pounds will drop off again, but only if you reverse the trend now.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2005, 10:29 PM   #4  
GmaTo8

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilwolfe006
Now in January, I have gone back to eating more sensibly, but still have problems with some bad choices sneaking in now
I think it could be that you are sneaking in too many bad choices, and followed by the holiday snafu, your weight is bound to go up. Given your prior success, you know what to do - journal everything, measure everything, and stay OP!! As Jayell says, get strict with yourself again. You've come too far to let it go now!
Jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 12:19 AM   #5  

I'm having a real problem getting strict again because well, this is going to sound awful, but I really dislike the foods I eat while dieting! I mean, I get down right frustrated and bitter. Why do I always have to say no to things that please me? How can I live the rest of my life saying no to those things? I went grocery shopping with my sister today, and I got so angry and so upset, because of all the things I wanted, and couldn't have. It makes me not want to care at all.
Old 01-16-2005, 08:48 AM   #6  
GmaTo8

How frustrating for you! I don't know much about the South Beach diet, but I didn't think it was all that restrictive after the first couple of weeks? You truly can't go the rest of your life saying no to foods you like, but you have to say yes to only very small portions at a time. I'm assuming you are talking about fairly healthy foods, and not Doritos and Ding Dongs. In doing Weight Watchers for almost 1 year, I've found that if I include a planned and measured amount of something I crave, it helps keep me in line. There are family recipes that I used to think were no-nos, but I've found that if I eat a small amount of them, and fill up on free veggies, it takes away the craving and I am still in control and OP.

If South Beach bans foods that you know you want to include on a regular basis, maybe SB isn't for you. As you know, this is for the rest of your life, so it's imperative that you find a program that supports your lifestyle.

You say it makes you not want to care at all, but you DO care! Otherwise, you wouldn't be here. The question is, how hard are you willing to work for it? Where will you be 6 months from now? You'll either be smaller or larger, and the choice is all yours.

In the meantime, why not pop over to the Maintainers forum, and read some of the posts there. You'll get encourged just reading them, I promise. You're also very welcome to join the Jaded Ladies, too.

I would say good luck to you, but "luck" has nothing to do with it.. the power is yours, lilwolfe!
Jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 10:10 AM   #7  
~*~Tara~*~

S/C/G: 240/234/150

Height: 5' 7"

*hugs* It's so hard sometimes, isn't it? *hugs*

I'm also on the South Beach plan, and I haven't had too much trouble with the foods allowed. Have you checked out the South Beach diet forum here? There are so many wonderful recipes (desserts too!) that you would probably love. I find my biggest problem is sweet foods. But, there are so many delicious dessert ideas here, that I don't even miss the "bad" stuff that I pigged out on over the holidays.

What foods are you having trouble giving back up? Maybe I can help you find a healthy, SB approved alternative to help keep you on track.
celticscryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 01:40 PM   #8  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

Default I know what you mean!

Wolf, I can really understand that. I stopped following my program, too, and it's because I couldn't look turkey "in the face" any more, and I couldn't eat another spoonful of lowfat yogurt. I think people often get to this point.

In case you're wondering, yes, I have regained the weight. Not all of it, but probably half of what I lost. That's how it happens, and I don't know of any exceptions.

So it might have been better for me to switch to something more appealing but still on program, instead of just having my little tantrum and eating those foods "that please me."

South Beach has lots more variety than the program I was following, though. Are you sure you dislike the foods, or do you just dislike not being able to eat all those other things everyone else is eating?

I hope you find the courage to "suck it up" and get strict again!

Jay
Old 01-16-2005, 04:03 PM   #9  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

I don't know what's on the South Beach Diet, but I would suggest before throwing in the towel, whenever a diet isn't appealing to someone, or they just don't like the food choices on it, to change diets. If low carbs doesn't work for you, try low fats. Because whichever diet you do choose will need to be one you'd basically need to stick to for life. If you're a carb lover and must have pasta, substitute it with whole wheat pasta. Take heart potato lovers, because there's a new low carb potato (cross breed) supposed to be due out on the market soon according to an article I read recently.

You might benefit more from counting your calories rather than your carbs. That would mean you could have a small potato from time-to-time and just go easy on what you eat the rest of the day. But if you really really want a potato or something that is restricted from South Beach, and you continually deny yourself, you could eventually throw it all away on a binge.

My idea of a diet isn't something we do to lose weight, but it's something we do to live. So when I'm talking about my own diet, it's what I eat daily and how I intend to eat for life...fruits, veggies, lean meats...It is not salads and starvation. I've been on those diets and they didn't work in the long run.

Jay, if you can't stomach anymore lowfat yogurt, mix it up. Try soy yogurt. If all else fails, regular yogurt is still better for you than a candybar. Don't want to eat another bite of turkey, try soy based burgers and other imitations. Experiment with your foods and find a group that works for you. But don't give up.
almostheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 04:37 PM   #10  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

Hey, almostheaven! You must be doing something right! Good for you!

Your suggestions are good--substitution is better than losing it--but I have an allergic reaction to soy protein, so I have to be careful about it. Whole soy foods don't seem to bother me, but the soy protein isolate or hydrolyzed soy protein gives me welts. Sometimes the burgers contain both. I'm now a careful label reader.

I use whey protein in protein drinks instead of soy. Designer Whey is a good brand.

Jay
Old 01-17-2005, 12:13 PM   #11  

Thanks for the help guys. I have used a lot of the recipes on the South Beach Forum and we have both of the books at home. Unfortunately, a lot of the sweet things are made with cheeses, which I like, but I sometimes get a little bit lactose intolerant. So the eighteen varieties of a ricotta cheese dessert, can be rough.

It's not the meals that are the problem. I like the foods on South Beach. I do like potatoes too, but usually I am okay without them.

It's the sweet snacks. Milkshakes, Ice cream, Candy bars, chocolate, cookies. And no diet has a place for these things. Well, maybe if you do that, 'once a week' allowance, but I want them more often than once a week. It's exhausting for every day to be a battle of my own will and saying no to things I want. I honestly, don't think I have the energy to keep this up for the rest of my life.

South Beach wasn't so much about low carb, but about good carb. Well it's nearly impossible to buy these good carbs - they are hard to find. Even the lowcarb craze doesn't supply you with good carbs. Whole wheat pasta? Hard to find and overall, very expensive. And it's also, really really really gross. It's like eating wallpaper paste. I can handle whole wheat breads, if they are still soft and not too earthy tasting. But yah, I just don't know what to do.

I did weight watchers a few years ago, when I was about this weight actually, and it got me down to my goal weight real quick -but I was doing a TON of walking a day and a lot more active because my job required it.

Maybe I should try WW again - at least then you could say 'Darnit, I really really want a Twix bar, and if I do that, then that limits me for the rest of the day by this much'. Etc etc. Or maybe I should just try to make healthy choices, but allow for little splurges here and there, and count calories. There is just so many different ways of doing things, and it's so hard to figure out what is right for you.
Old 01-17-2005, 02:41 PM   #12  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

Have you ever known someone who quit smoking, and then after awhile--say, weeks, months, even years--they start to bum a cigarette now and then? And then their smoker friends get tired of them bumming a smoke all the time, and say buy your own. So the person finally buys a pack, and says to themselves, I'll keep this pack in a drawer, and I'll only have one a day, like after work to relax. Only then they decide that it's probably OK to have one with lunch also now and then. Or maybe with morning coffee. And the next thing they know, they are buying another pack . . .

Well, this is what it sounds like you're doing with food, lilwolfe. And it very much is like an addiction in the way it operates. One of the definitions of addiction is when you find yourself doing something you said you weren't going to do and had no intention of doing . . . like eating McDonalds, or Dunkin Donuts, when you had all those good foods you had planned to eat sitting right there!

So stop playing with those foods! It's not going to work! You can't have that stuff all the time, every day, and expect nothing will change.

Weight Watchers is a good program--I lost 30 pounds on it once. Better to switch programs than give up entirely!

Jay
Old 01-17-2005, 09:55 PM   #13  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

Quote:
It's the sweet snacks. Milkshakes, Ice cream, Candy bars, chocolate, cookies.
I still have those. I just have them in moderation and have better choices of them. Instead of a Hersheys, I get a SlimWhey with caramel and peanuts. They're just 120 calories, fairly low carbs. If you're going with extremely low carbs, there are energy bars made for those as well. Allow for the calories/carbs in your diet say every other day, or every few days. Get the low carb or lowfat single size ice creams and allow for it once in awhile. If you know you're not cutting it out completely, but staying with the better choices of them and having them in moderation, you may feel better about it.
almostheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 08:37 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 208/196/150

Height: 5'7

I'm on the South Beach and you are allowed sweet treats everyday, as long as you don't go over 75 calories, which really isn't too bad....I buy No sugar added fudgecicles, only 45 calories. Also, I buy fat free milk and take some of the sugar free chocolate syrup and make a glass of chocolate milk.......it's more than 75 calories but you are allowed up to 3 cups of fat free or low fat milk or yogurt a day, so I just save it for my sweet treat. You could also use the low carb/low fat ice cream and make a milkshake with it, just don't go overboard and use like 2 cups.

Started South Beach on Jan 02, 2004
Valentines Mini Goal 165
xJennJennx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 12:07 PM   #15  

Yah, I had tried all the low sugar, or sugar sub or SB safe ice cream things, but they make me sick for some reason - so I don't want them. But I do still want sweets. Maybe there is something in the low sugar versions that doesn't do well for me, I'm not sure. I'm thinking about changing plans to Weight Watchers again, the meetings and the group support might be just what I need to get motivated again.