Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 01-06-2005, 02:07 PM   #1  

Default Treadmill help

My Christmas present from my mom was the money to buy a treadmill! Trouble is, I have NO IDEA how to begin shopping. There are so many options and features and I don't know what any of it means. I don't have a ton to spend, and I don't need too many bells and whistles, but I want to get something that will be easy to use and can adapt as my workouts increase from cubicle-dweller to (hopefully someday soon) hot-treadmill-strollin-muscle-machine. Any suggestions?
spores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 04:18 PM   #2  
it's always something

Funny you should bring this up, as I'm treadmill shopping, too! I've been doing my research, and maybe what I've learned so far will help.

We don't have many dealers in this area, and so my options were WalMart, Sears, and the two fitness shops that sell high end treadmills. WalMart sells Image and Weslo brands, and Sears sells ProForm and Nordictrack brands. The fitness shops sell brands like Landice, Horizon, Precor, Endurance, and other expensive brands.

Image, Weslo, Proform, Reebok, and Nordictrack are all made by Icon Fitness. According to the various consumer reviews and research by Consumer Reports, and reviews by TreadmillDoctor, these treadmills are junk. They break down quickly, become loud or unstable, and frequently require parts. The worst part is the warranty: They generally have short warranties of 90 days. Some of the newer models may have warranties that cover longer periods for the MOTOR, but other parts and labor are still short. If something does go wrong, you can either call them for parts and fix it yourself, or box it up and ship it to a service center. I actually walked into Sears two days ago prepared to buy a treadmill. My intention was to buy the extended warranty that Sears offers, because Sears will send someone to the house to repair it. Who knows how long that will take, though. Before handing over the cash, my gut instincts told me to walk away. When I came home, I found even more discouraging reviews of these brands and I felt relieved that I didn't buy one. I'm sure that there are a lot of happy owners of these treadmills, and you might get lucky! I am known for my bad luck, though. There's no more room in my fitness gadget graveyard, so I'm not taking any chances with my next purchase.

So my next option was to check with the fitness shops and find out what I could get that I could afford - even with a stretch. What I learned was that I am going to have to spend a lot of money. The minimum that I'm going to spend will be $1,000 which I'm hoping will be my cap, but it can be easy for some people to spend a few thousand. I'll decide for sure next week. I've been saving up for this. BUT, it's an investment. Good machines last a long time, so this should be the only treadmill I'll buy in this decade, at least!

What to consider
Weight limit - Many people don't realize this, but treadmills have maximum weight capacities. The descriptions don't always list them, so you have to do your research. If you weigh less than 200 lbs, then this shouldn't be a concern. If you weigh more than 200 lbs, then you need to check the limits. Some have weight limits of 225, most have limits of 250 or 275. Others do offer limits of 300 or more pounds. Always check, if this is a concern.

Horse Power (HP) is the maximum power this machine can output.
CHP, or Continuous Duty Horsepower, is the amount of power that a motor can sustain over a continuous length of time. CHP is the preferable measurement to go by, at least according to several articles I read. I am by no means an expert on this. A rating of 1.75 CHP could be better than a 2.0 HP. Look for the CHP rating. How much do you need? If all you will ever do is walk, anything under 2.0 CHP is fine. If you plan to run, go for something at least 2.0 CHP.

Deck Size: Is it wide enough for comfortable use? Try it out before you buy.

Warranty: No matter where you buy, or what brand you buy, make sure you ask the salesperson what would happen if your machine needs repair. Will they send someone to your home to fix it? Do you have to box it and send it somewhere? Will they just send parts and have a technician walk you through the repairs by phone? A 10 year warranty on the motor doesn't mean much if you have 90 days on everything else. One of the most common things to go bad quickly might be the electronic console. Also keep in mind that if you go for all the bells and whistles, you might end up with more things to tear up. Consider what you actually need, and forget the fluff.

Consumer Reports magazine did a review of treadmills for this month (January, 2005) and should still be on the newstands if you are interested. They also offer an online subscription for $3.95 per month, and you can view the ratings there. I can't copy everything here, but can share some helpful advice:

Quote:
When you're paying $400 to $3,500 for a treadmill or elliptical exercise machine, it's reasonable to expect it to work properly. The disappointing news from our tests is that a number of machines had problems, from annoying “clunking” sounds to mechanical failures that seriously affected performance.

The good news is that we found several CR Best Buys among the 22 treadmills and 10 elliptical exercisers we rated, many with features designed to keep you sticking with your exercise routine. Our findings also suggest that you get what you pay for, especially if you work out frequently.
Their best rated treadmill was a Landice for $2,900. All of the top machines were nearly as expensive, and their best buy choices were around $1300, including the Schwinn 820p, and models by Life Fitness, Vision Fitness, and Horizon.

Which am I going to buy? I am almost definitely going to buy one made by Endurance, which was not tested by Consumer Reports. My own (brief) research shows that it is an excellent brand, and it has a lifetime warranty on parts, and one year on labor. If something goes wrong, they will send someone to my home. From what I can tell, though, nothing goes wrong I'm looking at the Endurance 8K model. It has a wide and long deck, 2.50 CHP, and the best warranty in the business. The other treadmill I'm considering is made by Horizon, but the shop doesnt have the one I want in stock and it could take a few weeks to get it. I'm impatient, lol. I'll continue to research the models until I make my purchase next week. Even this one will be closer to a budget model (though a better quality one) but I just can't afford a high end treadmill.

If you do get one of the others, avoid the Walmart treadmills because of the short warranty. Go to Sears and buy their extended warranty.

So there's what I've learned about treadmill shopping. Hopefully others will share their own experiences and knowledge, and help us all
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 12:53 PM   #3  

Thank you so much!
spores is offline   Reply With Quote