Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 01-05-2005, 10:59 PM   #1  
KO
In Pursuit of Divatude!

Default An Alternative to Situps

Hi
I was curious if anyone knew of a good strength builder for stomach muscles that didn't involve getting on the floor I actually can't get on the floor. . .or rather once i get down I can't get up
I just want something that will build them up (slow progress is more than fine) So I can support my back better.

Thanks so much for your input!

Kierie
KO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 05:02 AM   #2  

Hi Kierie,

I followed the suggestion on Krista's "Sumptuos" website on weightlifting for women, and I do my abs crunches on a big excercise ball. It is a very big ball, I would guess about 24 inch diameter, and it was not expensive at all. The excercise is shown on the website but basically you lie on your back on the ball, knees bended, feet on the ground, and then you go sit up and lie back again. It is tricky at first because the ball is wobbly. But because you are on the ball you can do the sit up over a larger distance (because you can get further down lying back) so it is apperently even better then doing the sit ups on the floor.
I'm sorry I don't have the website address available right now, but it has been referenced also several times oin the LWL threads.

Success!

rabbit
4rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 07:51 AM   #3  
Mel

Here ya go: http://www.stumptuous.com/weights.html

Other alternatives: Do you workout at a gym or at home? If you are at a gym, you can do "V-ups" by sitting on the end of a flat bench, lean back slighltly, hold the bench behind your bottom, and bring your legs into your chest, back out again. An old, strong coffee table works well for a home version.

As you get stronger, you can do "hanging crunches": most gyms have slings that hang from pull-up bars in which you place your elbows, then hold onto the top of the sling. Pull your knees up to a cruch position and try to stop your body from swinging.

If you do a home workout, I highly recommend getting one of the stability balls. They are cheap and can be used for all sorts of exercises.

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 07:58 AM   #4  
Ilene the Bean

Here is the Krista Smash link:

http://www.stumptuous.com/weights.html

Years ago a trainer had shown me how to do crunches standing up! At the time we didn't do it against a wall, but now that I think of it you could stand up flat against the wall and do ab crunches in the same manner as you would on the floor... Maybe some of the trainers could elaborate on the exact proper positioning you should take, because honestly I cannot remember. I just remember her making us do pelvic tilts while standing just like you would do when lying down on the floor and crunching forwards and sideways.... I hope this makes sense
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 10:17 AM   #5  

I have done some ab work that involves standing against a wall, and lifting one leg at a time to a 90 degree angle, slow and sure was what you said. As you gain balance and endurance, you hold your leg up for a count of 10.

Also, I have done ab crunches while sitting in a steady chair, pull in your abs, hold and release. Again, not sweaty work but in the right direction.

I have my workout cards at home, if I see anything else, I'll definately post.
Sugar Cube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 11:59 AM   #6  
Warrior of Grace

Right now, one of my 'sit ups' exercises is done on an incline bench, in the lounge position, not all the way flat. As long as I lead with my chest and keep my back straight and my elbows back, it provides a good ab workout.
Qadira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 03:07 PM   #7  
Working My Way Back Down

I do the crunches with the large ball. In addition to different angle mentioned above, it works your proprioceptors (sp?), basically the small muscles that keep you oriented in space - i.e. you have to work to keep your balance as well as doing crunches. I also do crunches on a bench that you use in a reverse incline with your feet hooked under rolls at the top (have no idea what this is called!). My DH does something called a bridge, an exercise his PT gave him (he needs strong abs as he had multiple compression fractures in his back and needs good muscular support). Anyway, you lay on your back on the floor or a mat, arms by your side. Bend your knees with your heels about 1/2 way to your butt, an angle at which you can lift your hips and be stable. Then "set" your abs, lift your hips and then lift one foot 2-3" off the ground, hold for several seconds and return to the floor, repeat with the other foot. This seems easy for the first couple, then you start to feel it in your abs. It hits some different muscles than crunches.

Last edited by WaterRat; 01-06-2005 at 03:09 PM.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 07:44 AM   #8  

These ab exercise have been in my mind since I first read this thread. I think it is so facinating that pretty much any exercise for a muscle group can be adapted to fit someone's current level of ability. I am expecially jazzed about the wall ab work. I would have never thought of that, but there is something similar for pushups, so why not? Yoga is all about adapting to your own level and not feeling pain. It makes so much sense!! I know my Public Access channel runs an exercise program that is all done seated. I will have to stop and watch it one day. I guess there really is no excuse not to work out (sorry if that was a double negative, but I'm not sure how else to put it).
ellenuw is offline   Reply With Quote