Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 01-05-2005, 08:49 AM   #1  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Red face Wednesday Chat - January 5th

Good Morning Ladies,

I'll catch up in a little when the boss goes in a meeting

HUGS !!

miss you all
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 10:12 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 209/179/160

Height: 5'3"

Good morning gang!

wow! what a bunch of posts yesterday! that is awesome!

first - I did another 2 miles this morning! I feel great! no post holiday funk! - uhmmmm did I mention that walking helps with depression and anxiety I'm still ing us on!

Yesterday I ran by the church gym to check the place out and fill out the paper work. Remember I mentioned getting a 6 month membership for only $25 (it was a Christmas special). They have a half court basketball gym with a carpeted walking track around it. I noticed the sign said "walkers - 18 times around the track = 1 mile". My first thought was I would get plumb dizzy trying to keep count while going round and round But thankfully I have my pace down where I know when I am doing a 15 minute mile or a 13 minute mile even. There is no way I would count while I was walking those laps. That would be soooooooo boring!

I also noticed that all 3 treadmills were being used and several of the other machines, so it looks like the place will be pretty busy during the lunch hour, at least while people are sticking to their new years resolutions anyway. I'm really not sure that I am going to care for exercising around other people - I am use to doing it alone, but we will see. It is a nice alternative I guess to walking outside, walking the mall, or doing my WATP videos. We will just see how it goes.

Leenie - can you lock your boss up in the closet or something? tell him you need a 5 computer break so you can play with us! haha with all your busyness have you been able to walk again since Monday?

April - sounds like you had a great Christmas with your family in! I think it is really normal to feel tired and funky after the holidays. Hopefully it will pass quickly for you!

Liz - I was wondering how you survived working all day yesterday with very little sleep. Sounds like you are really really tired girl! I hope you got some sleep last night! and that things look better this morning! hugs!

Setina - I love the WATP videos. love em love em love em! let me know what ya think. What kind of work do you do? I work for a general contractor now, secretary and bookkeeping, but I use to work for an attorney for 17 years and that was always what we would say "what would happen if we got run over by a mag truck" LOL sorry they are bugging you but I'm sure they think they can't make it without you! You mentioned The Biggest Loser - I love the show. We watch it every Tuesday night. I love watching people lose weight while changing their lifestyles! Can you believe the guy (ryan i think) has lost 90 lbs in 3 months! That is unbelieveable to me! And the guy gary - I think his looks have changed the most! They all look great! I just wish they didn't have to vote anybody off - wish they could all stay and lose the weight - but I know it is a show.

Lynnie - how did therapy go yesterday? did your therapist stay awake? sure hope so!

Cin - how are the ww meetings going! I bet you are pooped! I cannot imagine how busy ww is this week!

Tippy - where you be girlie?

KO - ok - here ya go - I'm handing you some motivation! now go girl! hehe remember yesterday you asked for some of my motivation sometimes I have to make deals with myself KO, like "I won't get on the computer today until I exercise first" ya know - things like that!

Chris - I don't take any meds, except for armour thyroid for a low thyroid problem. A lot of people with different "chemical imbalances" are finding out that they actually have a low thyroid problem. I posted some really important info on the thread called "Depression Articles" at
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=49146
that you might want to check out. It tells you exactly what thyroid tests need to be done, etc. You might want to check and make sure that you don't have an underlying thyroid problem. It never hurts to at least rule it out.

But my son has a chemical imbalance and takes meds. Also found out that he has a very low thyroid problem and takes armour thyroid. I wish we would have found that out first, before starting the other meds. He may not have needed them, but it is hard to tell now. He has never taken lexapro but I am hearing a lot of good things about it! I know several people that are on it and doing well. Some mentioned feeling a little tired at first, but said it passed. I hope it works well for you.

Sue Marie - do you do a lot of walking when you go back to class next week? if so, ya know that all counts! I sit at a desk all day so I JUST HAVE TO EXERCISE!

ok - i've written a dang book! you'd never know I have a zillion things to do!

hugs,
Cathy

Jan Miles = 6

Last edited by cathyxxx; 01-05-2005 at 10:14 AM.
cathyxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 11:01 AM   #3  
Focus on the Process

S/C/G: 247/247/165

Height: 5' 8"

Cathy-
My dh is hypo-thyroid. He's taking levoxyl. We have to get his biopsy done again in a couple of months. He had a mass on his thyroid, then when they did the ultrasound the first time...they saw two. After they did a biopsy, they couldn't agree if it was cancer or not. We had a yes, no, and a not quite sure.
I did have a full blood screen done last June. My thyroid function was in the normal range. That was in 2003 though. I haven't had that checked since then. My RA doctor justs keeps an eye on my cell count, liver count, and my c-reactive protein.

I also watched the Biggest Loser last night, girls. I think Gary has made the biggest change. I think it's kind of stupid to vote people off. My gosh, they're not on Survivor... I just wonder if they're bodies are losing too much in a short period of time. Whether they'll have to work out harder and harder to keep the results.

Okay back to my alternate reality. I have to do dishes and throw in another load of laundry. YUCK! It's still really cold out here. -5 degrees this morning, and no that's not celcious...(excuse the spelling).

~chris
chrily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 11:02 AM   #4  
Divine Gal

Good Morning Ladies!! My morning is starting off pretty good considering the weather here really stinks.Dh made me breakfast this morning and I counted everything.YAY ME!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by cathyxxx
Lynnie - how did therapy go yesterday? did your therapist stay awake? sure hope so!
Therapy went well except for the fact that I was told the state laid her off.Now I have to find another therapist.I am waiting to go see a psychiatrist to see about my medication.I think it needs to be changed.The paxil and wellbutrin just don't seem to be working for me anymore.So hopefully when I see this doctor things will change.

I have to go to the grocery store today!! OH BOY! So I have to make out a list of some stuff that will help me with my weight loss instead of junk food.

Has anyone heard of Tastefully Simple? My mom got dh and I some for Christmas.

Talk to ya later

*hugs*
lynnie
lynnie24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 12:19 PM   #5  
KO
In Pursuit of Divatude!

Hi ladies its a looong day today phone call with mom she was in tears and I threw out the last of our junk food So i know I'm not turning to that!
Cathy thanks for the motivation I'll use it after the contractor all I need is to be sweatty mess when I answer the door.
Lynnie that stinks!
Chris I hear ya on the reality it bites sometimes
I found my ww point slide and am using the puter for the other stuff
KO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 02:32 PM   #6  
Walking by faith

Smile Hello Ladies

I wanted to post yesterday, but it was REALLY late by the time I got to the computer. My DH is on vacation, so we went on a little ride yesterday afternoon. It was nice to get out of the house and just enjoy

Leenie: Your boss needs to go to more meetings

Cathy: You're doing great with the exercise! Hope the gym membership works out well for you

Kierie: Sorry to hear about probs with your mom . Good for you for throwing out your junk food I hope they get things right with your walker this time.

CIN: WOW you're busy I guess we know what the number one New Year's resolution is

Lynnie: How was your Christmas vacation? I'm sorry to hear about your therapist-the same thing happened to a good friend of mine. She had been with the same woman for 2 years, and it was working great

Liz: Get some rest, and come in here and post when you can

Setina & Chris: I'm on Lexapro too. I've suffered from depression for a long time; but lately I'd also been having free-floating anxiety attacks. The Lexapro has really helped with the anxiety. I'm still mildly depressed, but I'm doing better

SueMarie: I'm not job hunting right now, but I wish I could .

April: I'm glad your family was able to be with you for Christmas Don't worry about your gain-I think we're all dealing with those holiday pounds

Tippy: Sweep the dust off the computer, and come visit us

Tomorrow is my big day-I FINALLY get my walking cast I have to admit that I have mixed emotions I haven't been able to walk normally since June, and I know that it's going to be hard, but I have to start with just one baby step at a time

Hope everyone is having a great day
Stepping Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 07:04 PM   #7  
Oooo Silly Me!

Afternoon Everyone…

Setina – I remember saying back at the start of my 2 week Christmas vacation that I was going to clean my house… makes me wonder where my two weeks went house is still a pig sty… to much gift shopping I guess.

Cathy – Yes you did mention that exercising helps with depression. I just got done reading your post and went to watch TV last night and they too mentioned that it helps with depression. I immediately thought of you Cal state I believe allows their students to use their gym for free, course you gotta be a student, and that’s been tagged with a hefty tuition fee so I guess it’s really not free huh? Heheheh I am constantly on my feet at work and when I go back to school next week I will definitely be doing a lot of walking. I’m taking two classes where I will defiantly be getting a work out. World Drama, where we act out stories for children and Music in the Classroom, I believe we do some cutesy dance steps and then play on recorders (the instrument). So definitely got my self going hehe I also bowl league on Fridays too.

Chrily – wow, that diagnosis of yes, no and not quite sure, sounds not to encouraging. Are they not able to run the correct tests or are the tests ambigious? Are these answers all from the same doctor?? About the biggest looser… I too wonder the same thing. I mentioned before when the show first started that it’s a great motivator to have other people with you loosing weight, but to loose so fast like that… I’m sure the show has personal doctors for them to make sure they are doing ok… but it’s still kinda scary! I would be afraid of it coming back after loosing it so fast. I always hear that loosing weight slowly is a good way to keep it off longer.

Lynnie – Glad to hear your session went went, even in the light of loosing the doctor you were going to was laid off. I have heard of Tastefully Simple, however I don’t think it’s a form of diet food. It’s kinda like Schwans or however you spell it. Where you buy food from them and you can cook it up in the microwave or oven. Gourmet food?? I dunno it Tastefully Simple does the drive around thing, but Schwans drives around in a truck and delivers gourmet food or just food that you can cook up. That’s about as much as I know on Tastefully Simple.

Kierie – Hello there! I sorry to hear about your mom, but kudos for you on not going after the junk food or even going out to buy some more. I’ve had some moments like that where I just run out and get more. Hey just curious, I noticed in your Signature you hav a quote by Denise Austen you have any of her tapes? I have the Lifting Weights to lose weight videos that she has. What do you think of her videos if you have any? I really like this set that I have. It comes with two videos, however, I’m still on the first video, even after 6 months of working with it hehehe…

Joanne – Oh okie, I just thought when you said you had found a job you really liked, that maybe it was something you interviewed for. I may have mis-read your post then

It’s been a busy day WHOO! I don’t wanna go back to school waaaah!!! Heheh… I did 40 minutes of Lifting Weights to lose weights last night. Fiance and Kid joined in to Going to try to toss in a video of WATP tonight before dinner… I’ve been keeping a food journal; however, I’ve been really bad at recording everything. I’ve gotta work on that!!

I hope everyone’s day is going well… I gotta run, my cat is yelling at me and he just smacked me!! He likes to get under the computer desk and come up underneath it on my lap and smack me hands… that means I’m ignoring him and he’s not gonna take it anymore

Catch you ladies later!
SueMarie301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 10:46 PM   #8  
KO
In Pursuit of Divatude!

hey sue Unfortunately i don't when i get a job i'm goign to endulge in some videos!
KO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 12:03 AM   #9  

Good evening all

It is still cold here....our dog Charlie spent much of the day down the basement....the gas fireplace was on for much of the day.

DH took the tree down....I took the other decorations down....tomorrow we will bring all the decorations up from the basement....then decide what to give to St. Vincent de Paul.....over the years we have accumulated so many....too much.

I went to the doctor today....have had a virus on & off for the last 3 months....he thinks it might be the sinuses....if it is....will have to be on antibiotics for 6 weeks.

Doing better with eating since Monday....have lost 3 of the 7.6 lbs I gained over the holidays....it's amazing....it took 6 weeks to lose 9.6 lbs.....then 10 days to gain back 7.6 of the weight loss!!!

KO.....I am doing much better on the natural antidepressants than I ever did on the regular ones..there are no side effects from the natural antidepressants......have had depression since the early 80's.

April

Last edited by april99; 01-06-2005 at 12:09 AM.
april99 is offline   Reply With Quote