Old 12-31-2004, 07:43 PM   #1  
Mom, Queen of Everything

Question Has anyone tried THIS new fad?

Okay y'all.....

So I'm surfing the web and I start finding tons, and tons, and tons of articles about the use of cinnamon in weight loss -- especially for those with metabolic resistance, prediabetes, etc.

Okay, now I must admit that in my desperation I've bought into some weird stuff ranging from apple cider vinegar to the totally disgusting and unmentionables. But this cinnamon thing is a new one for me.

Has anyone tried it? Anyone know anyone who's tried it?
Spedmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2004, 08:19 PM   #2  
Look at me go ;)

Nooooooooo, I have never even heard of it? Care to share some of the links you found? I have heard of berries, specially blueberries, but never cinnamon. Hmmmm....
Cinnymamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2005, 01:40 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 176/143/138

Height: 5'7

I have heard of it. I consume fairly high amounts of cinnamon in my diet, but not because of any fads or because there are claims it helps your metabolism. I just love cinnamon on my apples and in my coffee & tea lol. I don't know whether it contributed to my weightloss...maybe it did, maybe it didnt, personally i prefer to believe it was the change in lifestyle, increased exercise and healthy, low-fat balanced diet i took to that shifted the weight (and have kept it off)

Livi
Lyria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2005, 02:12 AM   #4  
it's always something

There is currently research being conducted on the effects of cinnamon in controlling diabetes, and it looks very promising! It contains a compound known as MHCP that improved insulin sensitivity in mice, and it is currently being tested on humans. I've not heard anything valid linking it to weight loss, though. It would probably only be beneficial if you are diabetic or have been diagnosed as insulin resistant. You might want to see your physician before trying cinnamon for medicinal purposes, because large doses can be toxic. If you are already taking medication, then the addition of the cinnamon might impact your blood sugar levels, and you should be monitored closely.
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2005, 09:35 AM   #5  
Mom, Queen of Everything

This is just one link I found while researching the cinnamon faze:

http://thyroid.about.com/od/loseweig...a/cinnamon.htm

I agree, Suzanne, that every time these new fads come around there's a tendency for people to jump on the band wagon without giving a thought about toxic levels or checking with one's doctor. I look at this, however, and see the low cost of cinnamon, and worry that the tendency for misuse may be higher than some other fads of the past.....?
Old 01-01-2005, 10:56 AM   #6  
Baby Steps

I've never heard of it. Maybe that's why my daughter is so skinny?? She eats cinnamon toast every morning I can't imagine eating cinnamon enough to make it a factor in my weight loss. Plain cinnamon just doesn't sound appealing.
lady_adnerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2005, 11:13 AM   #7  
it's always something

I think so, Spedmom! It is cheap, it's in our cabinets, and in the back of our minds, we think "it's just a spice, what's it going to hurt to try". And it might not hurt, in small dosages. But there will be people that go to the extreme, and potentially harm their health. Where are the studies that show cinnamon helps reduce weight? As far as I can tell, there aren't any yet, and any reference is just based on hypothesis. Even the article on About just says It is cinnamon’s effect on blood sugar that makes it a potential help in the war against obesity, insulin resistance, sometimes known as "prediabetes," and the "Metabolic Syndrome." This will definitely be interesting to watch.

Oh I think this just solved a mysterious problem for me. Last week, I told the other mods about a strange problem I was experiencing. I had started drinking chai every day, and it did have a lot of cinnamon in it. After a couple of weeks, I started feeling very strange - shakey, had problems keeping my balance. When I stopped drinking the chai, the feeling went away. A few weeks later, I started drinking the chai again, and the same thing happened. I'm not insulin resistant, and my blood sugar levels are normal. But if cinnamon causes a reduction in blood sugar, then it might be risky for people with normal blood sugar levels to take it daily in large doses. My experience could be unrelated to the cinnamon, but it makes more sense than anything the mods suggested (which involved everything from booze to drugs, and they all wanted to come over for a cup )
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2005, 01:18 PM   #8  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

I've only heard 2 things about cinnamon.

1. Put cinnamon sticks in your window cills and that will keep ants and bugs away.

2. Cinnamon is pleasing to the male animal (meaning men lol). So if you want to attract guys, make yourself smell like an apple pie (snort ~)
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2005, 06:16 PM   #9  
Mom, Queen of Everything

Well d--n!!! If #2 is right, then I'm going out to buy five pounds of the stuff. As a 43-year-old, post-menopausal wife, mom, and full-time worker, I need all the help I can use! And what the hey......if it doesn't attract DH, then at least I can rest assured that no ants will come within a mile of me! LOL
Old 01-01-2005, 11:09 PM   #10  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Paula ROFL !!!!!!!!!!! You silly thing

Yuppers, I have read that there are two pleasing scents to the male species...one is Cinnamon and the other is Vanilla I keep cinnamon air freshners in the house all the time, I like the thought of DH being putty in my hands when he hits the door naaaaaaah naaaaaaaaah
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2005, 10:26 AM   #11  
Baby Steps

Well, vanilla sure doesn't work on my DH...so maybe I need to roll in an apple pie?? lol
lady_adnerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2005, 11:23 AM   #12  
on my way down again

When I first saw this, I thought of what my Grandpa, who was born in 1900 and no longer here, always told me when I was very young. He had told me not to eat too much cinnamin because it will "dry my blood out." LOL So I have always limited my amount I consume. He must have known about the blood sugar and insuin thing when he told me in the 60's. LOL

Last edited by Sonnet; 01-02-2005 at 11:30 AM.
Sonnet is offline   Reply With Quote