Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 12-22-2004, 09:05 PM   #1  
Starting over Spring 2011

Height: 5'10"

Unhappy Is depression keeping me from losing?

Hi, everyone,

I posted here awhile back about losing weight even if on medication that can possibly cause weight gain. Since then, I have been posting a little bit on the 100 pounds forum. I don't have a 100 to lose, but do have a lot, and felt most comfortable there. I have tried and tried to get a good start on some kind of plan for myself. I lean towards coming up with my own plan, since I get VERY stressed trying to follow someone else's plan, like WW or whatever. I am just about ready to give up. I lost a little tiny bit over several months (7 pounds), got to the lowest I had been in weeks, and then gained 4 pounds. I have a hard time weighing myself---the numbers freak me out---so I have been trying weighing myself once a week, once every two weeks, etc. I am scared I may have gained even more. I am SO discouraged. I am wondering how you deal with depression and anxiety and still manage to lose weight. It just seems like an extra huge thing that makes it so hard for me to keep encouraged. And there is the medication thing that makes it harder, I think. (I am taking medicine for depression, which may cause weight gain.) I want to be successful, but just feel right now like it is literally impossible Does anyone have any ideas for me so I can be successful in spite of the obstacles. Thank you so much.
tkdkathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2004, 10:23 PM   #2  
the journey begins

S/C/G: 270/257/150

Hi tkdkathy,

I know what you are going through. You sounds a lot like me. I get crazy when I weigh myself and I don't like following a specific diet - I tend to make up my own by combining a bunch.

I'm not currently on meds right now but have been in the past while trying to lose weight and it was very difficult since the antidepressants caused weight gain. Not only that but when I'm depressed and anxious (almost 24/7) I overeat like mad.

You can try different meds. How are the ones you are taking now working on your dep?

My advise to you is to exercise. Exercise, exercise, exercise. It's the best thing for your metabolism. Move it and you'll lost it. It may come off slowly, but if you also watch what you eat while exercising daily it'll start coming off easier.

I know it's so hard to stay motivated as I am very, very easily discouraged.

I started back up on here just a bit ago and already I've gained 10lbs!!! Now that's pretty sad.

If you ever want to chat with someone who understands, or you just don't feel like dealing with it alone, feel free to PM me. It looks like we have almost the same stats so we could also buddy up if you'd like....

Take it easy

Amberoo
Amberoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2004, 05:37 AM   #3  

Hi tdkathy,

Apart from your medication it may be that the stress hormones that cause the depression also cuse you to eat more. For instance if you have a high cortisol level due to a prolonged lot of stress, this can causes depression and anxiety and urges you to eat more (the body thinks it needs the food for wrestling the next lion or something)

I agree with Amberoo, the thing is to put in excercise.
On the one hand if you have excercised yourself in a sweat for 20 - 50 minutes, the body makes hormones that elleviate the effect of the depression anxiety etc.
On the other hand the excercise also is good to lose weight.

This is wat I do ( I have a work burnout & depression now in the 8th month) and I was no excerciser at all, but now I see it as the one thing that keeps me up. I try to do 50 mins - 1 hr cardio with sweat every day. If I miss 1 day that is OK. If I miss 2 days in a row I am back in depression & anxiety land ( and my husband and children ask if I have excercised and send me to my stationary bike & rowing machine).

I started this cardio thing of course with much less time, and even at 15 mins per day I thnink it lifted the mood to know that I was in control here.

I hope this helps,
4rabbit
4rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2004, 08:01 AM   #4  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Hi Kathy, the ladies have given you very good advice. A friend of mine will sware by exercise as well. I am just like you, I just can't seem to find the motivation to stay on anything for more than a few days.

4rabbit, the stress & hormones thing sounds like me, I feel like I am constantly under stress with my job especially and now you've triggered an interest and curiousity in me to learn more about this. How do you really know that this is it and how do you treat it or deal with it when you feel like your starving all the time and wanna eat like a bear ?

Thanks !!!!
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2004, 09:05 AM   #5  

Hi Leenie,

I got the info from a couple of books, most important the one from Pamela Peeke, MD, "Fight fat after forty", which discusses at length about how stress influences your eating pattern. In chapter 8, pg. 193 in my book, penguin books, it states " You have learned ... that beta-endorphins neutralize the effect of cortisol. they produce a calming effect, which slows the release of the alarm hormone and , more important, the appetite inducing cortisol. Furthermore they activate the reward system in the brain that leads to pleasure and fullness" The clue is that after doing cardio for about 30 minutes, the body releases these beta-endorphins all by itself.

On the same page she also quotes research in 1999from Duke University that 30 minutes of brisk cardio 3 x per week over the course of 16 weeeks was as effective as antidepressants in relieving symptoms of depression, and mentions this has also been shown in other studies.

For me the reason I think this links in with my situation is that I tried it and it worked. Sometimes I start at the rowing machine anxious and I can feel that I calm down after about 30 minutes of sweating excercise, so it worked for me. I was utterly amazed that it did, but since I have a fear of taking antidepressants and think excercise is better for me in the long run I stick to it. Only I have to do more than the 30 mins 3x per week. I have to get about 4-5 hours of cardio per week. Guess there is a lot of personal variation in that.

Hope this helps,

4rabbit
Old 12-23-2004, 12:04 PM   #6  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Thanks for the info 4rabbit. Fight Fat after 40...gee, sounds like me lol. IF you don't mind me asking, how much have you lost ?

Bottom line........ Exercise (the one thing I avoid... time to get serious huh).

Common sense huh

THANK YOU!
Old 12-24-2004, 03:10 AM   #7  

Hi Leenie,

I have lost 3.5 kg (about 7 pounds) sofar since september. It goes slow, about 2 pounds per month but I figure if I can keep this up I'll get to where I want to be.

bye,
4rabbit
Old 12-24-2004, 12:56 PM   #8  
Starting over Spring 2011

Height: 5'10"

Thanks, everyone. I do exercise a lot. The eating part is what gets me. I am very sensitive to medications, and switched to this one after gaining over 60 pounds on another one, so I think I am not going to try another one. I just need some hope that I can overcome this obstacle, even while dealing with depression/anxiety. How do people do it? How can I believe in me and find a way? I know it must be possible, and luckily I will NOT give up on it. I do appreciate your kindness and offers of help. I am trying to just relax and enjoy Christmas eve and Christmas today and tomorrow. Thanks, guys.
tkdkathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2004, 01:49 AM   #9  

Default You are not alone

tdkkathy,

Know that you are not alone. I to have depression, along with being manic as I am bipolar. I am on three meds that cause weight gain. I have gained 60 pounds in 18 months. It is so awful. I am hoping that by starting WW point system, for once and for all I will lose the weight inspite of being on weight gaining medications. I know that if I follow it whole heartedly I can lose the weight. Being depressed and trying to lose weight is hard. SOme days like today I really want to lose the weight. Than other days, I am so depressed I don't think I will get through the day, let alone caring about weight. I do not have any answers to help you out, just wanted to let you know the you are NOT alone. Best of luck. Hang in there Feel free to PM me if you want to talk
EMTChic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2004, 10:37 AM   #10  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Kathy you sound like me. I have a hard time having faith in myself. Every time I think about believing in me, there is one thing that is constantly popping up in my mind and that is "All Things Are Possible Thru Christ Who Strengthens Me" I believe for me, the one thing I have to do to get my life straight is to start reading the bible again, to start praying instead of eating, to put Jesus back in focus and make Him first.

I believe I need to pick the Bible back up. Its life's guide, there is no other.

Please join us on the daily boards here, we can all chat and help one another. Don't be ashamed to bring forth your frustrations, we all do it. We are all here to support each other so I'm hoping you'll join us.

Hugs and Kisses !!

Leenie