WW Food and Point Issues ...other than recipes

Closed Thread

Old 02-05-2001, 05:01 AM   #1  

I just purchased the Complete Food Companion which replaces the old Supermarket companion. I was looking at different point values in the books and on page 241 it lists the Morningstar Spicy Black Bean burger, froze, 78 grams as one point. The old companion lists the same burger as 2 points. Now, I just bought a box of these (frozen and 78 grams per burger), and by my calculations, I come up with them being 3 points using the new system. Obviously, the new food companion has some errors in it! Any thoughts on this or has anyone else noticed errors in the book?
Old 02-05-2001, 05:51 AM   #2  
Stressed but Sane

I've come across errors, too; I always go by the nutritional information on packaging, and rely on the book only if I have no nutritional info.

------------------
Betsy
Walking is also ambulation of the mind
Gretel Ehrlich
Old 02-06-2001, 02:17 AM   #3  

I love the Morningstar burgers and have a package of the Spicy Black Bean on hand. It has 110 cals, 1 gm fat, & 5 gms fiber. Using the current limit of 4 gms or more of fiber, my pointsfinder still comes up with 1 point, although it is very close to the line. My electronic pointsfinder also comes up with 1 point.

[This message has been edited by Sasha123 (edited 02-05-2001).]
Old 02-08-2001, 09:01 AM   #4  

I only use the food companion if I can't get the information on a package. Companies change the nutrutional information all the time, so there is no way a book can be completely accurate. And I have learned that not counting accurately really makes a difference in my weight.
Old 02-08-2001, 10:28 AM   #5  

Thanks all for posting. I have found A LOT of different discrepencies in the book and I agree with posey that companies must change their info all the time cause the box of Morningstar Black Bean burgers that I have (bgt at schnooks about 2wks ago) list one 78g patty as 150 calories, 4.5gr fat, and 5g fiber. The box does say "Now Even Tastier" so my guess is that they have added a lot of "stuff" to make them even tastier.
Old 02-08-2001, 08:08 PM   #6  

Neon,
Thanks for posting this. I had always bought Spicy Black Bean in the past, but just happened to check the NI the other day and noticed the change. I LOVE them and hated to go through the search for best/lowest point flavor again. I bought Chef Max to try again due to points, but I'm considering complaining to Morning Star for messing up a good thing! Don't you hate when they do that? Now it looks like we'll have to go on a search for all the old recipe boxes before they completely dissappear (aka old recipe Kashi GF boxes.)
Paige
Old 02-08-2001, 08:46 PM   #7  

Remember when they "improved" the Fruit-a-Freeze bars? Doubled the points! Grrr.

I don't recall exactly how the Morningstar burgers taste, but if you liked the spiciness, you might try the Boca salsa flavor. The texture is quite different from the Morningstars, but there is a nice "kick" to the spices.
Old 02-08-2001, 08:55 PM   #8  

Oh Bumby, "Thanks" for reminding me about fruit a freeze I just looked at them again the other day too and put them back fuming since they used to be so great! What's with these people? Don't they read our boards and see that we're searching all over the country (and even coming from other countries) to buy their low point products? Yes, I'll complain to them too... again!
At least we can keep coming back here finding out what to buy next!
Paige
Old 02-14-2001, 08:39 PM   #9  

Actually, I DID complain to Morningstar (owned by Kellogg's) back when they changed the Spicy Black Bean Burgers. Not only did they make them higher in cal. & fat, they are "greasy" now and too high in points. They e-mailed me back that they did consumer tests and people preferred the new ones and promised to send me coupons to appease me. They did all right, two .25 cent ones!!LOL
I never bought those stupid burgers again!
Closed Thread