Closed Thread

Old 12-13-2004, 03:46 PM   #1  

Default Feisty & Sexy 50-60 yr old #38

G'day all,

After a very severe storm late yester afternoon (and causing a lot of damage ) the weather is superb this morning.

New thread is here...I will be back later!

Cheers
Maria

Last edited by flaggies; 12-13-2004 at 05:12 PM.
Old 12-13-2004, 06:21 PM   #2  

G'day all,

What can I say Glenda great minds think alike!!!
I am getting quite excited about a grand daughter. It is strange but now I cannot imagene my ds with a son.

Lily you must feel like a bit of a champion, well done on the excellent feedback you received from your boss.

I wished we would hear from Slavika but I guess she has a lot on her mind. Slavika you are in my mind so often and I do hope that everything will be OK.

I am 'cutting and pasting' Glenda's post below:

Ut oh! Just as soon as I post, someone (Maria) will come along and start another thread. Don't think I have ever done that. Maria, I am so happy for you! What did I say??!!! Technology can sometimes just be too much! A little girl! You are in for such a treat! Right, Trudy? and everyone else. We saw out little guys this weekend. Our Makenzie even cries for me. She is just very happy in my lap. The funny thing is, she is not like that with anybody else but her mother and dad. Oh well, it is just a gift. Our little Jackson is 9 months old, not walking, and so very big that I cannot handle him with this back, only if he is on the floor. Hopefully he will be walking soon. I hate not being able to carry him.

So glad that things are looking up for you, Anne. Keeping Slavika's DH in my prayers.

Jenye, sorry to hear your health problems. And the fact that you are getting urbanized. That sort of thing is going on everywhere. Where are all the people coming from!

Lily, what a worker you must be! Great news to get from your boss.

Still trying to keep my head this Christmas season. I had 6 days to worry about. Yesterday was one of them. I ate everything I wanted to, but my plan is to get right back on it the next day. I have this in my mind, so it might work. Always once the flood gates have opened I have eaten until ready to pop.
Glenda

Cheers
Maria
Old 12-13-2004, 07:23 PM   #3  

Peggy " Puppy School"????? what is this and where do I find it????? I know he will grow up but holy cow he is a hand full now. I'm having a dilemma (small). Looking for a groomer for Sprout. After the news lastnight I am very leary of them. We were told about 2 little Yorkie's who were cooked from to hot of a dryer in a cage dryer. I was horrified to say the least. Went to check on 2 today and the first one was awful. Dirty and nasty and the lady used cage dryers. I said no way lady you ain't getting my puppy before I'd leave him here I would do it myself! This I said as i was running out the door. The next one wasn't as bad and was told that small dogs got blown and brushed dry never caged dryed. Well I still am not happy with that one. So while sprout and I were out walking I stopped and talked to a man and his dog and he gave me the number of his groomer. He said he was very pleased with her and that her place was very and he stressed very clean. I'll be checking that one out tomorrow. Can you believe it? Cooked those poor little dogs to death in a cage!!!!!

Made cookies today and yesterday. Was a bit naughty with them yesterday but was a good girl today.

have to go, need to call my Mother.

Karen
Old 12-13-2004, 08:20 PM   #4  
Member Florida Chick

Another first. Today I drove for the first time since November 2. Took DH to have an iron infusion. Then discovered he has an infection in his right arm from all the introvenous stuff he had in the hospital. So had to see the Dr. and get some antibiotics. So I drove to the pharmacy. Then a rest and then supper. and tonight is the night that our Christmas show was supposed to take place, so the chorus got together and did a Carol sing. So I went down to that. Now it is time to get some rest.

Karen: you might check to see if you can find a groomer who will come to your house. That is what we did with our dog. She set up in the kitchen, bathed her in the kitchen sink, and then had her grooming table there. It worked very well. It cost a bit more, but is was very worth it.

Hi to everyone. Just have to quit now, as I am fast approaching that 'wall'. Ann
Old 12-14-2004, 11:21 AM   #5  

Ann when you say a bit more? whats a bit? That is an idea. Glad you were able to begin driving. But be careful not to do too much or it will put you down for days. Sorry to hear about DH infection. That is the pits!

Slavika we are thinking of you and your family. Talk to us when you can.

Karen
Old 12-14-2004, 07:26 PM   #6  
Net browser

Hi Everybody

First off, thanks everybody for your thoughts and prayers. Our son picked DH and I up this morning around 8:15 for our trip to the hospital for our first visit with the oncologist. The hospital is one of the smaller ones in our city and not too far from our home which is nice. We met the doctor, very petite gal, I would think in her late 40's.
My DH was really scared as he has never been hospitalized, or had surgery. The doctor put him at ease immediately, because she could tell he was scared. She checked him over and said that because he was in good health (other then the cancer) it looked like he would be a good candidate for a bone marrow transplant. She had more blood tests done and then she did a bone marrow aspiration in his breastbone and the sample of the fluid that was withdrawn was then sent to the lab. The rash DH has on one side of his body is shingles so she gave him prescription for that which we filled on the way home. DH was then hooked up to a IV in a very comfortable chair with a lovely heated blanket over him and give a a drug called Aridia (I think it's called "Pamidronate" in the US). It is done to remove some of the calcium out of the blood because that affects the kidneys. He was also given a low dosage of steroids but I have forgotten the
the name of the drug. DH now thinks he will likely be able to play football....... The doctor is arranging another test for him and it is called a MUGA Scan and it will be done at a different hospital. The test takes about 1-1/4 hours. A radioactive tracer is injected into your IV and electrodes are attached by tape to various parts of your chest. A machine containing a special camera is positioned above your chest. Pictures are taken as the tracer passes through your heart. This is to find out how well the main chamber of your heart works. Then you will be asked to do some excercises while the pictures are being taken again to check your heart. All this is done to see how fit you are, and if you can handle chemotherapy and a bone marrow transplant. The doctor is 98% certain that DH does have
Mutiple Myeloma but there is that 2% chance that it is a lymphoma. She wants to be absolutely certain. We see her again next Tuesday, and by then she should have all the test results back and she will discuss the treatment options with us. Looks like chemotherapy for sure and perhaps radiation, and if all goes well, the bone marrow transplant. The staff at the hospital were wonderful and made a difficult day for us easier by being so nice and kind. Neither DH or I slept much last night, so I am hoping we sleep better tonight.
I have read all your posts and will come back tomorrow to "talk" to you all. Thanks again, you gals are a great bunch.
Old 12-14-2004, 08:54 PM   #7  

Good to 'see' you Slavika. Your visit to the oncologist sounds very promising to me. I had wondered if a bone marrow transplant could be an option.
I think oncologists, doctors and nurses that work in this area are of the 'special' variety and just are a wonderfully caring bunch of people.

You must both feel a bit better and I am sure will sleep better tonight.

I gather after next Tuesday you will know exactly what treatment lies ahead and the expected outcomes.
Great that your husband is generally in such good health, as you have been told, that makes a huge difference to the response to treatment.
It all sounds very positive to me.

Take care, I'll be thinking of you both next Tuesday and sending heaps of a positive vibes from down-under!

Cheers
Maria
Old 12-14-2004, 10:24 PM   #8  
Member Florida Chick

Hi everyone:
Slavika: So glad to hear that your experience today was a positive one, with treatments in the near future. You were all in my prayers about 3:00a.m. when I couldn't go back to sleep. I think the Lord allows us times like that in the middle of the night and puts people on our mind and heart so we will pray. The one thought that has kept me going through our difficulties is that God is in Control. I hope you will have a restful sleep tonight. Shingles can be very difficult. Did you know that is a form of chicken pox? Miserable stuff.

Karen: We paid $25 at the original groomers, and then when Patti came to the house she charged $30. There is another groomer that comes into the park with a trailer, and she does all her grooming in her own facility and I believe she charges $40.
Hope you can find someone like that for a reasonable price. It is so handy and you only need to do the grooming every 6 to 8 weeks.

Today we manaaged to put up a few Christmas decorations, so we are not completely devoid of Christmas Spirit. A good friend brought us a little lighted and decorated Christmas tree we can put on our coffee table. And she also made us a beautiful wreath to hang outside. We have been so blessed with good friend who have taken such good care of us.

Time for sleeping. 'See' you tomorrow. Ann
Old 12-15-2004, 07:05 PM   #9  

I could swear that I posted yesterday but I don't see it. I dunno-weird.

Slavika glad to hear that your hospital visit was a positive one. I think the staff that works in oncology are very warm and do their best to put you at ease. I am sure your dh was scared. I am sure it helps a little now that the first visit is over and you sort of know what to expect. You did well remembering all that they did and told you. Sometimes it is just a blurr and you try to remember what they said. It is amazing at all the things they know and can do now. Stay strong. You all are in my prayers.

Ann you are a tree ahead of me. Still don't have one and at this rate there won't be any left. Probably just Charlie Brown ones.

Take care all,
Old 12-15-2004, 07:52 PM   #10  

Peggy you haven't 'lost' it, I noticed you posted on the previous thread yesterday. Too much Christmas cheer?

Maria
Old 12-15-2004, 07:59 PM   #11  

Peggy, I think Slavkia must take notes . i could never remember all that.

Slavika glad you got that first visit out of the way. And i agree with maria that it all sounded very positive. My dad always says it was his good positive attitude that helped him through his cancer . And like Ann says God is in control so just let go and let him lead you through. Football huh.

Ann- $30.00 is very reasonable for some one coming to your house. We have found some one to do Sprouts grooming tomorrow. We went out there to have a look see today and we will keep the appointment for tomorrow. When I talked to her yesterday she said with puppies she just shapes them up good and get their faces so you can see it. She is familiar with the Brussels Griffon breed which made me feel better as most people have no clue. Sprout has Yorkie fur on his head , face and legs and belly. On his back and side he has the wirey hair of the Griffon. He is a mess but a cute mess.

Have to go.
Karen
Old 12-15-2004, 08:04 PM   #12  
Ash

Smile From Down Under

Hi all, back again. Today is better weather wise, it is a lovely Spring day with the sun shining and the birds singing. Yes, we are being built out at the back but apparently the house blocks over there are half the size of ours therefore we will find that the price of our houses will go up dramactically, so I have been told. We may shift if we get the price we ask, but at a later date. In the meantime our guttering has been done and today they started on replacing our back decking, 4 days early. I suppose that being a cash job means he needs the money before Christmas.

Maria - sorry old friend but the cricket is what got me wrong, I thought that they played in Melbourne but that was last Tuesday not Thursday. I am glad all is OK with your DIL and the baby. All these people with grandkids and I am still waiting.

Slavika - You are certainly going through a lot with your DH. I hope that all will turn out OK for him in the long run, in the meantime my prayers are with you both.

Glenda - My health is getting better with the weather, or so it seems, but as it warms up I tend to feel a lot better in myself, thanks for enquiring friend.

I am sure that I have missed many people so I send my love and good wihes to you all.

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL

Love,

Jenye.
Old 12-15-2004, 09:14 PM   #13  
Member Florida Chick

We are having winter in Florida right now. last night it was down to freezing in many places. Not going to be so cold tonight, but they tell us by the weekend it will be colder than yesterday. Warm coats and gloves.

Took Dh for a blood test today. Now that he is on Coumadin he has to have periodic tests to make sure of his blood .

We were pleased tonight as the carolers in the park came and sang for us. This is the first time we haven't been a part of it. Seemed strange, but nice to be thought of.

Tomorrow our group of friends are going for Christmas lunch and gift exchange. We call it the Ladies Monthly, as we do this once a month. We have a fun time and lots of laughs.

Karen: glad you have found someone to groom Sprout. You'll know how things go after the first grooming.

Ashe: Nice to hear from you. Glad you are feeling better. Warm weather does make one feel better I think, and especially sunshine. Shorter days in the winter and rainy or snowey weather can be depressing.

Hi everyone. 'See' you tomorrow. Ann
Old 12-16-2004, 11:45 AM   #14  
Fun Blonde

Slavika, I am so proud of how you kept notes and remembered everything. Are you starting a medical journal? I think this is a great idea because it is so hard to remember the procedures, medicine, etc. This first visit sounded very, very positive. I am so glad your DH is in such good physical shape--all that walking. In my chemo treatments I took a lot of steroids - don't laugh - they really do make you gain weight. There I was sicker than a dog and gaining weight! In fact, in that room where I took chemo, all of us cancer patients were pretty puffy. Anyway, a bone marrow transplant sounds so very, very positive. I have never dealt with a cancer medical person who was not very, very compassionate and helpful. I have cried with several. Doctors, well, doctors are different.

Ann, glad you are doing better and better. So are you going with the group of women today for your gift exchange?
Glenda
Old 12-16-2004, 04:29 PM   #15  
Net browser

Hi Everybody

I am keeping a medical journal of DH doctor's visits, and treatments, because if I don't, I know I will forget. I know much more about his cancer then he does, so he is calling me his "recording secretary". He had an appointment with his family doctor today and I went in with him. DH asked if our family, including our grandchildren should have the flu shot since he would soon be starting chemo and the doctor said, absolutely. He then asked DH if he had a flu shot....well he hadn't.... so the doctor wanted to give him one and as I mentioned before DH is scared of needles and refused to get the shot. Well I was just furious with him, and "strongly" suggested in the doctor's office that he get one, and he said NO, that he was tired and didn't want to. The doctor told him that just because his family would all get flu shots he still needed to get one too, and if he didn't get it today, then the oncologist would certainly see to it. When we got back to the parking lot, and into the car I was so angry with him, that I was almost choking. I told him that I could not look after him, and care for him, if he didn't do as his doctor's told him. I told him that if he didn't march himself right back into that doctor's office we were not going to go to the store, that we were going straight home because I didn't want him exposed to public places and germs since he wouldn't have the shot. Well....he agreed, and in we went. I know the gal at the desk quite well and told her to tell the doctor that DH changed "HIS" mind, and decided that it was in his best interest to get the flu shot. She just grinned at me, and went and told the doctor. We went back into the doctor's office, and he said, "I am not even going to ask you what your wife told you when you got out to the parking lot, but I assume you decided it was safer to just get the flu shot." After getting that needle stuck into his sternum on Tuesday, he realized the flu shot was just nothing. He has been healthy all his life and any and all medical procedures are strange to him and he just has a really hard time just going to the doctor's for anything even just a check-up.

So KAREN, "our little SPROUT" has to have a hair cut already. I hope the person doing it does a good job and you are pleased.

ANN, next year you will be back singing with the group again. How is your DH feeling, and how are you doing?

GLENDA, I think you are right about the nurses that work in the cancer clinics, they are a special breed, that's for sure.

PEGGY, my friend told me that her DH brought home a "Charlie Brown" Christmas tree. She said it wasn't too bad at the beginning, but he kept cutting bit's off the bottom of the trunk to level it, until there really wasn't much of a tree left. LOL LOL

MARIA, yes, I think all the results should be back from DH tests and the oncologist will likely tell us what chemo drugs DH will be on, and when they will start. When we saw the family doctor this morning he sort of thought maybe they wouldn't start with the treatment until after Christmas, but he wasn't sure about that.

TRUDY, are you managing to get your computer problems sorted out? We bought our grandson a computer for Christmas this year. Since we are not taking the family to Maui this year, we thought we would use some of that money for Christmas. We knew our son and DIL were thinking of getting him one this year and we decided we would do it.
My Son told me that the computer we bought him is at least 6 times faster then mine, and why didn't I just give him my old one and keep the new one for myself. I told him, I didn't need a new one yet, and was really used to the one I had.

JENYE and all you gals, thanks again for your thoughts and prayers. I am happy we share this board together.

Last edited by slavika; 12-16-2004 at 10:25 PM.
Closed Thread