Old 12-07-2004, 04:41 PM   #1  
Future Size 6

Default Make room for my big butt, please!

I'm plopping it down right here in the Atkins thread...and lifestyle. I had tried this before for a month or two, then got scared by all the negative comments you hear. But it wooooorks! </whining> And I'm exercising a lot now, so I am really looking forward to watching the pounds melt away again...and keeping them off.

I just had a physical and am doing well (aside from being obese, of course). My game plan as of right now is to get on Atkins and keep up the exercise program, then go back to the doc in six months and get a full blood workup just to make sure I'm not hurting myself. What do you all think of that?

Now, to dig out those books and refresh my memory....
Talisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2004, 05:06 PM   #2  

Hey! I'm new here too, although not new to Atkins. Congrats on your decision to be so dedicated. You're right, it really works. What I love about it is that you eliminate cravings and you have a great energy level.

I've been on this diet, sometimes more strictly than others, since January 2001 with nothing but good health results. I get my cholesterol and other blood work done regularly, and its always good. Interestingly, I've never specifically told my doctor what I'm doing, but she's thrilled at each annual checkup when I've lost more and encourages me to keep up the good work.

Now, I'm trying to get back into it seriously. So far I've lost a total of 65 lbs with about 40 to go. The first year I was very dedicated and lost about 50 lbs, and since then I've sort of leveled off. I've been following general principles, but frankly cheating whenever I want. What I've found over the last few years being off and on Atkins is this:

If you follow the diet strictly, you lose weight at a nice and steady pace. If you cheat just a tiny bit (like the occasional bite of fruit, or forkful of cake), but otherwise follow the diet strictly, you'll lost weight, but slowly. If you follow the diet, but cheat regularly, you can probably maintain your current weight. If you throw it out the window all together, you risk gaining weight back.

If you haven't had a full blood workup recently, I definitely suggest you get one now, so you can have something to compare it to. That way you know if your cholesterol has changed, but I can almost guarantee that if you follow the diet, lose weight, and especially exercise, its bound to be great for your cholesterol!

Good luck!
CPgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2004, 05:39 PM   #3  
Somethin's gotta give

Hey you 2 welcome! this is a great place and if youre looking for motivation and support, this would be the place--there is a daily chat and equator treks each month and just general ribald hilarity....good luck!
marie. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2004, 06:19 PM   #4  
Proud Mama

Hey girls! I am stoked that you are joining us too! (I'm kinda new to this thread too)
I am wondering if you ladies watch your calories too? Right now I am doing the between 1200 calories and 1700 calories, trying to keep my carbs at 20. I've been going over a carb or two lately. Does that matter? I've lost 40lbs, but it seems like the weight couldn't come off fast enough. I am not exercising like I should be. hehehe

I wanna re dedicate myself to a strict 20carbs.. Having such a hard time with that though. Do you do the fitday.com thing?
Uggamugga4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2004, 07:19 PM   #5  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

You Go Girls !!!!!!!!

Welcome And Enjoy :d
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 09:57 AM   #6  
The Princess O' Pets

Welcome ladies!!! It is always great to have new people and jump right in!!!!
Theo'sgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 03:57 PM   #7  
Baby Steps

Wooohoo!!! Lots of new people!! All are welcome and please join us in the daily thread.

Tali: I've never had my blood work done. But that's from lack of interest in that (on myself that is). But I find it interesting when others have it done and they get great test results when they go for a re-check!! Keep us informed

Carrie: I don't count my calories. I detest counting (love my calculator ) I never really counted my calories and hardly (can we say almost never?) exercised. You need to find what works for you. If low carb and low cal works stick to it
lady_adnerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 04:42 PM   #8  
Proud Mama

brenda, that rocks! Really? I just started counting the calories a few weeks ago. It is driving me crazy! I think more about food now than I ever did. Hate that. But I am paranoid about gaining weight.

THe first time around I never counted like this, and lost 70lbs in 7 mos. (then I had the kids). This time I am totally paranoid, and it doesnt' seem to be coming off as quick. Grrr...
Uggamugga4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 04:46 PM   #9  
Dawn aka Sims addict

Tali, welcome welcome to the board ! It is sooo great here !! Yes Atkins works & is healthy if you are eating the right things. Eating bacon 3x's a day I would say is NOT healthy !! I always eat lean meats & veggies. I am in Induction, Day 9. I feel great. I walk in the evenings with my best beloved dog, Freedom. At first some exercise might be hard, & my joints were to sore from my weight. So I walk, even if its a small distance at least 20-30 minutes. Anyone can do walking. I walk now almost 2 miles a night, & it takes me 50 minutes but it keeps my metabolism up, helps with the weight loss & the dog sure is happy !! Keep us up to date ok !! Join the daily chat !!

Carrie: I dont count calories at all. I just stick with 20 carbs a day or less. Some days I barely make it past 10 carbs with food !!
abnrmlisme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 05:20 PM   #10  
Future Size 6

Oh, no, I'm not a must eat several times my weight in meat per day kind of girl! I love my veggies too much for that, but you can have plenty of them with this plan. And I love that I'm not HUNGRY with it.
Old 12-08-2004, 05:59 PM   #11  

Gals,

I agree that counting calories makes me crazy and a bit too obsessive about what I'm eating (or not eating). Counting has definitely worked for me though in the past, but I find it to be too much work. After a while, esp. on Atkins, you get a feel for both carbs and calories and I manage to stay within bounds without counting anything. I also love that I'm not hungry on this plan. Isn't that the worst? Calorie counting and being hungry and not wanting to eat b/c you want to spare the calories. And I used to get those crazy, low-blood sugar, can't think straight hunger fits too. Thank goodness for Atkins because you can curb the appetite AND lose weight. Ok, so I'm going home now, and will hopefully stay motivated to do a one hour walk.
CPgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 06:04 PM   #12  
Future Size 6

Oh, the blood sugar. One of the main reasons I love living low-carb is that from the time I was 14 til about last year, I had hypoglycemia. What did the doctor suggest? That I carry SALTINES with me, in case of a sugar drop.

Yeah, white flour helps a lot. Sure, you'll feel better for about a half-hour, then WHEE! Off we go on the blood sugar roller coaster again, and you're hungry. Is it any wonder I was gaining weight?

I am happy to say that since I cut out sugar, white flour and most other processed carbs, I have not had a single sugar drop. Yay!
Old 12-08-2004, 10:19 PM   #13  
Baby Steps

Carrie: Just don't take it TOO extreme. You don't want to be spending the rest of your life looking at your food thinking "ok, this is such and such calories and umpteen carbs" do you? It's one reason I never counted stuff. I really don't want to gain what I've lost back either. But it's a fact of life....women have a hard time w/their weight. Sucks, eh? But we're tough, we can do this!!!!!
lady_adnerb is offline   Reply With Quote