Old 12-07-2004, 03:40 PM   #1  

Default Hi...I'm new here, but not new to Atkins. . .

I just wanted to introduct myself and say hello! I'm also interested to hear how everyone stays motivated -- I'm definitely looking for suggestions!

I'm actually jumping back into Atkins after being off and on it for a long time. Like many, I never had a weight problem when I was young, I guess I stayed busy and active enough to keep from gaining weight. But, after I finished college and grad school and got my first "real" job, the weight really piled on. Before I knew it, I was up to 238, size 20-22, which is a lot for my 5'4 frame. My mom and sister have always really struggled with their weight, so I really should have seen it coming. That was back in 1999/2000.

On New Year's day 2001, my then boyfriend/now husband and I both started Atkins and have been off and on it ever since. Our biggest progress was made those first several months when I lost about 50 pounds. Eventually we began cheating here and there, although mostly staying away from carbs. Living a low carb lifestyle (although not strictly) over the last few years has really helped us keep the weight off and lose slowly. For about the last two years I've been constantly around 175 (size 14). It's much healthier, but still not my ideal.

Now, I want to get back into it seriously and have been on induction for about a week. So far so good! I'd love to hear suggestions from everyone about how to stay motivated, and also whether you incorporate exercise with the diet. I am trying to keep a workout schedule, but its easier said than done. Thanks!
CPgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2004, 06:24 PM   #2  
Proud Mama

Welcome! Sounds like you are built like I am. What are you keeping your carbs at? Have you seen results yet? Congrats on your restart
Uggamugga4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 09:59 AM   #3  
The Princess O' Pets

Welcome CPgirl!!!!
Theo'sgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 12:31 PM   #4  

Thanks ladies! Congrats on your successes!

I am not really counting carbs, but my eating plan works out to be this:

Breakfast -- Atkins Advantage Bar
Lunch -- salad of mixed greens with grilled chicken and parmesean cheese
Dinner -- small steak, piece of chicken, etc., plus small salad and veggie such as sauteed mushrooms.
Snacks -- handfuls of pecans, almonds, or cheese cubes.

If I actually counted, I would probably find myself eating more than 20 carbs, so I guess I'm not technically doing the induction phase, but I go a little crazy if I don't throw in plenty of salads and veggies. I've been in a good ketosis for several days, so I think its working.

Since Thanksgiving (which was the final straw that sent me running back to Atkins), I've lost about 7 pounds.

Thanks for the warm welcome!
CPgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 12:57 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 201/201/175

Height: 5'3"

Wink

Good Afternoon All,
I'm back on Atkins after 7 months off and 18 pounds gained. I'm wondering if age and menopause causes a weight loss slow down? I've been on induction since 11/27 and I've only lost 4 pounds......you'd think 12 days would at least be 5 pounds Oh well, it took me 7 months to gain it so I guess I can't expect it to go away in two weeks.............but it's a nice dream!
[COLOR=DarkOrchid]
LindaLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 03:53 PM   #6  
Baby Steps

CP: Sounds like you're doing exactly what works for you!! Keep up the good work and welcome

Linda: I think that age and other things factor in how fast/slow you lose weight. They always say metabolism is slower in women over 30. And of course "you'll never have the body you did at 18 after you have kids." Don't give up hope. You WILL lose weight!!! Keep going!
lady_adnerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 04:39 PM   #7  

Darn and I'm wwwwwwwway over 30 I don't stand a chance. But what the heck I'll still keep trying.
Old 12-08-2004, 04:42 PM   #8  
Dawn aka Sims addict

Welcome to the board CPgirl !! Please keep us informed of how well you are doing & we are here to support you !!

Linda:Yes, age & menopause will affect weight loss. But dont fret, just stay OP & you will see results !!
abnrmlisme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 10:22 PM   #9  
Baby Steps

Linda: I'm over (oh boy am I) 30 and not sure about the menopause but I've always had a problem losing weight. This is the ONLY plan I've managed that is workable for me (well, most of the time ) AND I don't feel like I'm starving myself. Keep OP and before you know it you'll have whooshes!!
lady_adnerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 08:28 AM   #10  

Wink

Good Morning All,
Just signing in before the boss gets here
Okay ...................what's OP ? I know I should know but for some reason I'm drawing a complete blank ....must be the CRS problem
Have a great morning everyone
Old 12-09-2004, 10:59 AM   #11  
Dawn aka Sims addict

Hello Linda,

OP means On Plan.
abnrmlisme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 11:43 AM   #12  

Good Morning Ladies, the coffee's on and today is Hazelnut, so come on by.
Hope everyone is doing ok OP today. I have another 'test' coming up tonight, it's Red Hat night, so we are going to an Italian place, and then to a play. So once again I will eat at home and have the cheese artichoke dip as an entree. But, what will I eat it on? I can not figure out what I can have, and I don't want to sit there not eating at all. Maybe they would give me celery? Ya think?
Not doing bad at all, just slow. Started Sun.and will not weigh myself till Sun. morning again.
Welcome CPgirl, I am new myself and don't get to post every day, but these ladies are so nice!
Good OP day to all! Janny The Divine Diva of the Tiara Totin' Tootsies Red Hatters
Grambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 08:53 AM   #13  

Wink

: Good Morning Everyone,
Hey it's Friday. I thought it'd never get here even if it's going to be an adventure ...tonight anyway. It's my husbands Christmas Party and it always seem like I'm the only one on a diet at these things Hope they have shrimp
Thank you for the information abnrmlisme. I'm trying to be on plan but I'm getting a wee bit (just a wee bit) discouraged. I weighed in this morning and instead of losing I've gained a pound...I know water and all that stuff but it's still discouraging.
Grambo, the Red Hat sounds like so much fun. If my best friend didn't live two hours a way from me I'd talk her into joining I'm sure there is one in my neck of the woods. There was a big article in our local paper about it and it looked so very interesting.
Well, the boss is due in soon so I better look busy.
Everyone have a wonderful day and a great weekend