Closed Thread

Old 12-02-2004, 02:00 PM   #1  

Default differences between religions...

not sure if this is the right place to ask, it doesn't really have anything to do with exercise or dieting, just life and life choices.

Can anyone explain to me the differences between the religions, specifically Baptist and Catholic?

I suppose you need some background information... I'm originally from Maine. My family is Catholic. They raised me Catholic, went to a private Catholic school for K- 8th and everything. Taught sunday school when I was 22 years old to a room of 4th graders (10 year olds) all boys and 1 girl. good times. Learned alot about the religon, myself, and the kids at the same time.

Then I moved down south (NC). There is one catholic church in my area- the second one is an hour away. I went to it but did not feel welcomed, at all. I have been to 2 churches my whole life. my home church and then when I went on my own and moved 2 hours north I found another church.

I'm getting married and we've been praying to find a church that we both like. Chris is a believer but doesn't practice. He didn't like the Catholic church we went to either.
we found a baptist church in our neighborhood and went last sunday. I immediately felt like this was "right" and that God led me to this church for a reason. I don't know much about the baptist religion except for the sunday and then bible study last night that I went to. Chris feels the same way.

can anyone help explain it to me?
Old 12-11-2004, 01:03 PM   #2  
a work in progress...

Hi Kandice...I just happened upon your post, hope you don't mind me butting in with my two cents!

I was raised Catholic, though I'm not devout about Catholicism at all. Which I find to be true about most of the Catholics that I know. I've been floundering for years, not sure which religious path to take, but knowing that I do believe in God...or a Higher Power or Somethng.

If you find a church that 'fits,' by all means stick to it! God is God and Jesus Christ is Jesus Christ, as far as I see it. The differences in religious dogma come from Man, not from the Lord. If not, then why are there so many religions in the world? Christianity alone, has around 150 different factions! Many of them started as 'break aways' from other groups

Trust your instincts, I guess is what I'm trying to say.

Good luck on your journey!
Old 12-11-2004, 08:31 PM   #3  

Kandace, you asked about the Baptist religion.

The Baptist doctrine basically believes that Jesus is the only way to God. They also believe that the Bible is what it is. It is to be taken literally. It applies to now. It is not just a historical account of the past. They also believe that salvation comes from asking Jesus into their life and that Baptism is a step of obedience; it is not salvation in itself. They also believe that salvation comes by a conscious decision that the individual makes. Some religions believe in baptizing babies; Baptists don't. They also believe that Baptism is full immersion as it is a picture of the death of Jesus (going backwards under the water) and his rising to walk. It is also a symbol of leaving the old life behind and rising to a new life. The Baptists are also about missions. Going out into the world to bring the lost to Jesus. Now that doesn't mean that everyone has to be a missionary but that is one of the directions of a Baptist Church.

Confession of sin is to Jesus; no one else. There is to be confession and repentence of sin but it is not to a priest, a pastor or anyone but Jesus. The way to **** is by rejecting Jesus; denouncing him - it isn't because of sin. His forgivness comes for what is in the heart.

Here is a link that may be helpful.

http://www.baptiststart.com/doctrine.htm

Hope that helps!
Old 12-11-2004, 08:32 PM   #4  

Oh, I will add, a Baptist church is going to be conservative (vs. liberal) in its beliefs.
Old 12-13-2004, 08:52 AM   #5  

Thanks both of you- that helped alot! I had almost the exact same conversation with my parents as you said Katrina. They said they thought that as long as we bring Christopher up with a belief in God and Jesus they didn't care what religion we practiced. that we would go to something that we enjoyed more than if we didn't enjoy it. That helped alot.

And thanks Terri for the website and information- that helped alot too! and I found out about the conservativeness. I'm liberal by nature and having a hard time with the conservativeness.
Old 12-23-2004, 05:08 PM   #6  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Hello, a Buddhist here...

In every religion it seems there are some who take a very strict and oppressive position. But also in every religion, there are others who truly exemplify the best principles of their faith.

I grew up in a state where there was one dominant religion, and it was very difficult for anyone who wasn't a believer in that sect to live there, so I can understand those feelings. But freedom and respect for others go hand in hand. I may not agree with a religion, but I want to treat every individual with respect for their beliefs.

I think KandaceA has probably gotten the information she needed by now.

Blessings to you all at this wonderful time of year.
Old 01-02-2005, 03:23 PM   #7  

Kandice,

I agree with Katrina, trust your insticts, and Chris's for that matter, you said he felt comfy too!

My Hubby he was brought up Roman Catholic. When we were first getting together I was in the midst of a search of my own. When it came time for the wedding plans and he wanted to be married is his church, his church let him down.

By that time I had chosen my alternative path but he was so frustrated and It almost seemed like he would give up the whole thing. That truely made me sad. What I said to him took a couple years for him to finally understand and not feel guilty about.....

He was one of the best Christians I knew, Loving, kind and willing to help others at the cost of his own self.....but a lousey Catholic!!

We had long conversations about it all, I suggested to him to try different forms ofChristianity, That he could find a church that embraced the same beliefs as him.

Luckily the Presby church where I grew up was very nice....the pastor actually came out to our home to meet us, to see the life that we had formed, then decided they would love to have us married in their church. All the reasons his church slammed their doors on us, this church opened up to us.

Your heart is your heart.....no matter what, everyone's God or Gods knows the real deal. Be good and true to yourself and all those around you.

P.S. When is your wedding?
Old 02-16-2005, 05:46 PM   #8  
Coop class of '82

I say go with your gut feelings. All paths lead to the same end I believe. Personally, I was raised LDS (Mormon), but I enjoy exploring other ideas like Sylvia Browne's Novus Spiritus church, Earth-based religions etc. Beliefnet is a fun site to find out more on different beliefs.
Old 02-17-2005, 09:15 AM   #9  

I hadn't subscribed to this thread and just saw the responses. We've still been going to the baptist church. I've seen first hand a lot of hypocrisy, but every church has that I suppose. The pastor and the head of the deacons came to our house and told us about the beliefs and that they wouldn't baptize us until after the wedding since we're living together- A big no-no I guess (pre-marital relations) we've since abstained and will continue until the wedding. I know we can't reverse what's been done in the past and we continue to live together and share a bed together, but at least we're trying to honor God and our relationship and make it the way that He intended. Chris and I have talked a lot about the new denomination and we both like it and feel that it's right for us at this time in our lives. We're talking more with his son Christopher (age 12) about dating and relationships and he recently signed a true love waits promise. Of course we're proud of him and hope that he continues his life with God and doing His will.

the wedding is March 5th- 16 more days!
thanks to everyone that responded. I needed that during that questioning time.
Old 02-17-2005, 02:48 PM   #10  

Default Hi

I am also a Baptist, and believe the Bible to be 100% true and applicable to today, just wanted to say that it is wonderful the decision you have made to put Christ first, in your life. I make no apologies for my beliefs either. There is one other difference between Baptists and Catholics that wasn't mentioned is with Mary. Baptists do not deify her, they revere her as the mother of Christ. But we do not pray to her, or believe She can intercede with Christ to save you from sin. We believe she was human and is in heaven with the Father, like any other believer. I do not believe Baptist as a religion are intolerant. However tolerant does not mean accepting something you do not belief is right or o.k. I don't condemn the sinner (Homosexual) that is the Lord's job, however I do condemn the sin (when asked I say it is wrong like any other sin is wrong, we often think we can rank them in order but one sin is as bad as another) We are branded because we refuse to call it normal, which labels us intolerate or homophobic.
I pray you will have a wonderful wedding, and find that you have a very supportive church family as I know I do,
Old 04-13-2005, 08:50 AM   #11  

Default I know this is an old question...

But I also felt the need to respond to the original post (not going to get into the literal Biblical interpretation here AT ALL).

First of all, I'm a Presbyterian minister who has served in a number of different areas. What makes a Baptist a Baptist Christian is primarily the theology of baptism. In the Baptist tradition, baptism is not a sacrament, but an observance. The Baptists also believe in "believers baptism" - meaning that infants and small children are not baptised. Only those who can themselves profess their faith are baptized. Baptism is also done by immersion - and not sprinkling.

The other thing that makes a Baptist a Baptist is their polity - or how they order the church. Each church stands alone, although it may belong loosely to a convention or denomination. In other Christian faith-systems you have a bit more structure and hierarchy.

Finally, NOT ALL BAPTISTS ARE CONSERVATIVE. Nor do all Baptists believe that the Bible should be interpreted literally. The American Baptist Church is one example of a pretty progressive denomination of churches. Heck, some of them make ME look conservative!

Hope that helps!
Old 04-13-2005, 01:09 PM   #12  

Default Wedding Congratulations from another Baptist

I've read all the posts and feel a need to express my thoughts on the subject. I have attended different Baptist churches and have found them to all be full of sinners who have accepted Jesus as our personal Savior. We don't claim to be perfect, just forgiven. At our church, we are tolerant of all sinners, because in God's eyes, there is no big sin or small sin. They are all equal in God's eyes. We leave the judging to God because He is the only one that matters. Our pastor says that we are a hospital for sinners. If we are sick, we go to the doctor and if needed a hospital. We are all sinners that needs God's forgiveness and love. I think sometimes we get too concerned about the things we can't do. We should focus on all that we can do as believers. I have found out through my personal experience, that once we accept Jesus and become "saved" our wants change. The Holy Spirit comes to live in us and helps us to want to follow in the steps of Jesus. I'm not saying that all "Christians" follow as closely as we should, but that again proves that we are all sinners....some saved and some unsaved (haven't accepted Jesus as their personal Savior). It is a choice that God gave us...He gave us a free will to do what we want, and loved us enough to send His only Son to live a perfect life and then lay down His life on the cross for us so that we can come to heaven to live with Him eternally after we die. How many of us would give a child to die for someone else who in fact hated him?? Another point I would like to make is that only through Jesus Christ do we find peace and joy in this life. Not saying it is a life without trouble and pain, but only that when we go through the trials of life we have Jesus there to hold us and comfort us through it all. I can say for myself, that God gave me a love for all people, no matter what race, sexuality or religion. But, I don't have to condone the sins of anyone either. That is what God tells us in His Word.

I will leave you with this scripture that we all know and love. John 3:16 "For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son that whosoever believes in Him, shall not perish, but have eternal life."

I pray for each of you that you will turn to God and accept His Son as your Savior before it is too late.

Thanks for reading/listening.
Old 04-15-2005, 02:05 PM   #13  
back on the wagon

S/C/G: 196.2/187.8/115

Height: 5'1.5''

Umm...why is it no one is responding to the Catholicism part? I'm a Catholic here...
Old 04-19-2005, 09:55 PM   #14  

I too am a Catholic, and I believe that you get out of your church what you put into it, a lot of churches will be nice to you just to get you to join their group. Church is about worshiping God, if they did not make you feel welcomed, then realize that you are going to Mass for one reason and one reason only, to receive Jesus in the Eucharist, that should be your only motivation for going to Mass. The people at the Babtist church are good people I am sure, but you should go where you are fed the actual Body, BLood Soul and Divinity of Jesus Christ and the Catholic church is the ONLY place you can get this.
Old 04-20-2005, 04:24 PM   #15  
back on the wagon

S/C/G: 196.2/187.8/115

Height: 5'1.5''

You took the words right out of my mouth
Closed Thread